Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:45 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times

Advertisements

^^

When the fed stops their devaluation process they will go on a wage inflation tear. When that happens you will see tougher immigration laws etc. etc.

We just gotta get through this rough patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 04:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Oh. Guess what? It's not that there aren't jobs. It's that they'll have to stoop to do jobs that the illegal immigrants are doing right now, such as mowing lawns, bagging groceries, and making french fries. You know, the jobs we were all glad to have when we were teenagers.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:10 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
When I finally turned 16 I was so happy that I could finally work. Sadly I lived in miami where you had to be bilingual to get a job. I didn't get my first job until I was 19 and that was because I left miami.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh. Guess what? It's not that there aren't jobs. It's that they'll have to stoop to do jobs that the illegal immigrants are doing right now, such as mowing lawns, bagging groceries, and making french fries. You know, the jobs we were all glad to have when we were teenagers.
people are not doing well financially so the mowing the lawn jobs probably wont be there in abundance moving forward. Fast food/restaurants also aren't doing so hot as well so thats out.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:36 PM

148 posts, read 471,574 times
Quote:
oh. Guess What? It's Not That There Aren't Jobs. It's That They'll Have To Stoop To Do Jobs That The Illegal Immigrants Are Doing Right Now, Such As Mowing Lawns, Bagging Groceries, And Making French Fries. You Know, The Jobs We Were All Glad To Have When We Were Teenagers.
Bravo...

Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
people are not doing well financially so the mowing the lawn jobs probably wont be there in abundance moving forward. Fast food/restaurants also aren't doing so hot as well so thats out.
Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. McDonald's same-store sales are up over 7% from the same month last year. When times get lean, people eat more at fast food restaurants. It's the mid-level white table restaurants that get jammed.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. McDonald's same-store sales are up over 7% from the same month last year. When times get lean, people eat more at fast food restaurants. It's the mid-level white table restaurants that get jammed.
*edit*

Tried to post the chart from the site here but the formating didn't carry over, just click the link below to see what the sales for the U.S. are. Down from last year.

link

^^

As I said, as things get worse, sales will slow. One of my closest friends works at a mcdonalds in Atlanta. Told me, his manager said they were cutting back hours at his particular location because of the dramatic decrease in sales. There was a good article on CNN site about restaurant sales and how bad things are. Things are going to get really ugly.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Bingo. When I was in high school (and college), every kid worked summers--no matter how poor or well-off their parents were. It was just expected. These days you see young college graduates who have never had job--none, nada, zippo. They get real P.O.'ed when they are told that degree alone may not get them very far at the ol' job fair. When things start really getting rough economically (and we are headed there), the people who will likely have and keep jobs will be the ones that actually know how to work.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:56 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times
Quote:
I was in high school (and college), every kid worked summers--no matter how poor or well-off their parents were.
There was never a time when "every kid worked summers--no matter how poor....".

Old 06-10-2008, 10:01 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,044 times
Bull, there are plenty of starter jobs for teens where I live. Sure you cut grass or make hot dogs at the convenience store but what's wrong with that? Ok, here's what's wrong.....it is beneath a lot of them. I'm blessed (?) with seemingly endless nieces and nephews in my family, many around job age. They won't touch these jobs.

Here's the golden award of the year for me. An eighteen year old nephew, new father, no job and didn't finish high school. I lined this pride of his mother up with a job at a manufacturing plant. They'd pay him above minimum, forty hours a week, while they trained him on their dime to be a welder. After training they'd up his pay to around the $11 per hr mark with partial benefits. After a year with no problems, he'd get another raise and full benefits for his family. It's less than ten miles from where he lives. It wasn't enough money for him!

I've tried and tried, heard all the reasons why not, and I'm tired. The jobs are there, the motivation isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics