U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:30 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,545,589 times

Advertisements

I always use the credit choice on my debit card- merchants pay more to process a credit transaction. I also ask for a receipt and use the paper towels and window washer. I'm getting every penny's worth on the exorbitant price of gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 08:41 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,084,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I always use the credit choice on my debit card- merchants pay more to process a credit transaction. I also ask for a receipt and use the paper towels and window washer. I'm getting every penny's worth on the exorbitant price of gas.
Some merchants credit card machines won't allow a debit card to process as a credit due to the higher costs. I actually don't blame them myself as a business owner and having to pay those fees. I also understand why some businesses put a limit on the min. purchase one can use a credit card on. In return it helps keep costs down that would get passed onto the consumer. We can bet that with gas going thru the roof and it getting passed onto every link in the chain now be it in fuel surcharges, delivery fees, processing fees, hazmat fees, etc companies are going to start watching their bottom line even more.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:46 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,084,164 times
We use credit cards to pay for gas. Ours is a company credit card. Gas stations that stop taking credit cards are going to lose their BIGGEST customers and that is going to be the commercial accounts. We don't hand our employees $200-300 in cash to buy gas. As someone else mentioned this is going to bring about MORE crime and robberies. The crooks will know the gas stations have a lot of cash on hand. That drivers will be carrying more cash. That commercial vehicles will have even more cash on hand if they have to pay cash for gas.

Then you have the issue of one being able to earn points/rewards/miles by using a credit card. Some of these cards give out DOUBLE points/dollars for gas purchases. The consumer will go to the gas station that lets them still keep getting that benefit.

What will happen to the big commercial accounts is if they stop taking credit cards or being a PITA to fill up a big truck w/ diesel (limits and such) these companies will get their OWN pumps and buy wholesale. Come to think of it I just might check on doing this very thing now that I've gotten the idea. With 10 big trucks to fill up plus pickup trucks and our vehicles it might save us some money. Hmmmm

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face this is one instance they may come to regret.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:38 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,545,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Some merchants credit card machines won't allow a debit card to process as a credit due to the higher costs. I actually don't blame them myself as a business owner and having to pay those fees. I also understand why some businesses put a limit on the min. purchase one can use a credit card on. In return it helps keep costs down that would get passed onto the consumer. We can bet that with gas going thru the roof and it getting passed onto every link in the chain now be it in fuel surcharges, delivery fees, processing fees, hazmat fees, etc companies are going to start watching their bottom line even more.
Oh, I'm sure that everyone involved in gas production, from the exploration to the retailing is interested in passing on their savings to the consumer. Sure.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:00 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,173,019 times
I have a friend I ask about this that owns a station. he said without credit sales he would go broke because even wih the expense you need volume to make money selling gas. Credit cards are like 75% of his sales also.When his credit card reader when out recently he said his business dropped like a rock.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:30 AM

655 posts, read 758,004 times
what is cash anyhow? Does anyone still use it?

Old 06-19-2008, 05:40 AM

3,067 posts, read 7,577,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have a friend I ask about this that owns a station. he said without credit sales he would go broke because even wih the expense you need volume to make money selling gas. Credit cards are like 75% of his sales also.When his credit card reader when out recently he said his business dropped like a rock.
Exactly correct! I read an article about a month back stating that stations would lose more business and more money if they stopped taking credit cards, even though they have to pay a certain percentage back to the CC companies if they use them. I personally would not by gas at a station that did not take credti cards, because I put all my purchases on CC's and pay them back in full every month with no interest penelty.

It's a catch 22 for gas stations and I would venture to say that most of them would probably go out of business if they did not take CC's.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:16 AM

24,839 posts, read 33,336,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
We use credit cards to pay for gas. Ours is a company credit card. Gas stations that stop taking credit cards are going to lose their BIGGEST customers and that is going to be the commercial accounts. We don't hand our employees $200-300 in cash to buy gas. As someone else mentioned this is going to bring about MORE crime and robberies. The crooks will know the gas stations have a lot of cash on hand. That drivers will be carrying more cash. That commercial vehicles will have even more cash on hand if they have to pay cash for gas.

Then you have the issue of one being able to earn points/rewards/miles by using a credit card. Some of these cards give out DOUBLE points/dollars for gas purchases. The consumer will go to the gas station that lets them still keep getting that benefit.

What will happen to the big commercial accounts is if they stop taking credit cards or being a PITA to fill up a big truck w/ diesel (limits and such) these companies will get their OWN pumps and buy wholesale. Come to think of it I just might check on doing this very thing now that I've gotten the idea. With 10 big trucks to fill up plus pickup trucks and our vehicles it might save us some money. Hmmmm

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face this is one instance they may come to regret.
We have tanks for off road diesel, love it! I would like to buy gas like that but, hubby won't do it. He says I would blow up 1/2 of the county. LOL LOL LOL

Old 06-19-2008, 11:05 AM

654 posts, read 3,160,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
Yup, there's still plenty of cash users around. A guy I saw the other day used cash to pay for his fuel at a local truckstop, and oftentimes most truckstops offers discounts when paying cash vs. credit cards. I don't depend on plastic and since I have no credit cards the only thing a person would miss out on is reward points and such, which I don't care for anyway.

I do use my debit card as credit at most pumps since its still as cash except its coming out of the checking account and therefore no bills. But yea, cash is still king out there for many.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 AM

3,700 posts, read 13,420,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
I go to a gas station that DOESN'T take plastic and pay cash for gas. The gas is cheaper than the other nearby stations. And cheaper gas are my "reward points" .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics