U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:46 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,541,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I go to a gas station that DOESN'T take plastic and pay cash for gas. The gas is cheaper than the other nearby stations. And cheaper gas are my "reward points" .
If a gas station offered a discount for paying in cash, I'd gladly switch from credit to cash. Spec's does!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,541,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As long as i got a lower cash price it wouldnt bother me.
One local hobby shop I go to I specifically make sure to pay cash at to help out the guy's bottom line.
I always pay cash or debit in locally owned businesses. Big boxes- credit.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 PM

55,069 posts, read 43,926,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
People who don't want to pay by credit card just avoid anybody to know where they are, ...are probable people who have something to hide. I had a friend who was so much against phone calls being tapped and paying by credit card so they know where she is and how she spend her money...well I found out she is a convicted felon so it all made sense...normal people don't care if people know where they are and what they buy...

I would avoid any pump that doesn't take credit cards. I had my own business and know how much a credit card company charge for a payment and it isn't so much.
What if you use your credit card and your car can't $ 75.- of gas because you just went a little to fast to get more gas....do you have to pay more?
I find it funny that people are paranoid of being tracked....gee, if the govt. was that interested in you couldnt they just bug your house and watch you through cameras etc? Mental illness is a sad thing...I had a friend that swore that the US was being invaded because Russian tanks were seen on a US train crossing the country. Turns out that they were post berlin wall tanks being sent for us to test our guns on etc. at army firing ranges.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:45 AM

26,661 posts, read 40,625,613 times
Quote:
I find it funny that people are paranoid of being tracked....gee, if the govt. was that interested in you couldnt they just bug your house and watch you through cameras etc? Mental illness is a sad thing...I had a friend that swore that the US was being invaded because Russian tanks were seen on a US train crossing the country. Turns out that they were post berlin wall tanks being sent for us to test our guns on etc. at army firing ranges.
They can bug my house or phone..., boring for the person who has to listen to it, but I guess my life is already easy to track since I use a cell phone and pay almost everthing by suing my credit card ( and paying it off immediately) so I earn points and get these nice gift cards.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:00 AM

3,066 posts, read 7,574,942 times
Quote:
I just had my laugh for the day!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:21 AM

20,992 posts, read 21,088,085 times
I think the sign was supposed to say that $75 is the limit and if you need more you have to put it through as 2 transactions.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:33 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,270,070 times
Quote:
Are you sure the sign doesn't say Maximum? If not, its probably a typo. Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.
No, it said "minimum"~ Trust me, I read it twice in disbelief ~ Maybe it was a typo who knows but whatever it was, it cost them some business. In my case, I just shrugged my shoulders & drove to the next station.

Last edited by PixiStix; 06-20-2008 at 06:48 AM..

Old 06-20-2008, 06:48 AM

24,839 posts, read 33,326,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I think the sign was supposed to say that $75 is the limit and if you need more you have to put it through as 2 transactions.
That was my first thought too! Maybe it was a mistake in wording.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:37 AM

440 posts, read 1,698,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Not everybody accepts cash. Some businesses will only take cheques or credit cards. My insurance agent will not take cash.
I was referring to gas stations.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:24 AM

897 posts, read 2,611,339 times
If there were a local gas station that would give me a lower price per gallon for my cash payment - then I'd be all for it.

However, on the road, a traveler is not going to take a wad of cash to pay for gasoline. It is awfully inconvenient and quite frankly too dangerous to travel with large amounts of cash.

This is the cost of doing business - and the business needs to realize this. I don't see this becoming a growing trend.

Last edited by GeminiGal; 06-20-2008 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics