Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:53 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

We have some local stations in our area, and the price on the billboard is NOT the price at the pump. When people began complaining, they said the extra price at the pump was to cover the credit card costs, if you paid with cash inside, they'd reimburse the difference. (But you had to ask for the reimbursement.)

When law enforcement told them they could be in trouble for false advertisement, they put extra signage at the pump explaining the discrepancy, but they are still posting a price lower than what the pump shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 02:00 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
We use credit cards to pay for gas. Ours is a company credit card. Gas stations that stop taking credit cards are going to lose their BIGGEST customers and that is going to be the commercial accounts. We don't hand our employees $200-300 in cash to buy gas. As someone else mentioned this is going to bring about MORE crime and robberies. The crooks will know the gas stations have a lot of cash on hand. That drivers will be carrying more cash. That commercial vehicles will have even more cash on hand if they have to pay cash for gas.

Then you have the issue of one being able to earn points/rewards/miles by using a credit card. Some of these cards give out DOUBLE points/dollars for gas purchases. The consumer will go to the gas station that lets them still keep getting that benefit.

What will happen to the big commercial accounts is if they stop taking credit cards or being a PITA to fill up a big truck w/ diesel (limits and such) these companies will get their OWN pumps and buy wholesale. Come to think of it I just might check on doing this very thing now that I've gotten the idea. With 10 big trucks to fill up plus pickup trucks and our vehicles it might save us some money. Hmmmm

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face this is one instance they may come to regret.
they are losing money when people pay with credit cards
what is the point of making a sale that loses you money?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:33 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I could not buy gas there. I use a credit card for all of that type expense. I pay the balance each month. It really helps with records.
But it sucks for the business.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:45 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegirl View Post
Went to fill up yesterday at my usual gas station & now there is a red sign above the keypad saying "All major credit card companies require a minimum $75.00 gas purchase at the pump" Total BS. I figured it was the station lying & blaming the CC companies for the "restriction". They are losing alot of business that way. Many people can't get to $75.00 on a fill up- even with the high gas prices. I know I'm not going there anymore. It's just the principle of it.
They would lose my business...my gas tank is 11.5 gal @ $4 (which is higher than I currently pay) that equals $46 and if/when prices came down I would never stop there again. Too bad for them!

I drive a Toyota Corolla; I guess they have problems with fuel efficient cars

Old 06-20-2008, 03:21 PM

105 posts, read 302,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I won't buy from any station that does not take pay at the pump credit or debit cards. I will drive right by it and never come back. Now, if they come up with a pump you can stick cash into I might reconsider. But I am NOT coming into your gas station and standing in line for 10 minutes behind somebody that is playing the lottery!
Absolutely agree here 100%. I refuse to go inside, refuse! No time for that!!

Old 06-20-2008, 03:24 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
They would lose my business...my gas tank is 11.5 gal @ $4 (which is higher than I currently pay) that equals $46 and if/when prices came down I would never stop there again. Too bad for them!

I drive a Toyota Corolla; I guess they have problems with fuel efficient cars
How are they losing business when their cost is greater than their profit.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:57 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,793,604 times
The CC companies preauthorize $50-75 to your card because they don't know how much you'll pump, and sometimes they don't credit the excess funds back to your card for a few days.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
I was referring to gas stations.
Aww! But you said "everybody" takes cash.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
I wonder if the real reason is that gas stations are taking credit cards at the pump, and that I would imagine that they are getting tons of chargebacks with fraud and stolen card allegations. Gas stations would have no recourse to fight a chargeback, and someone with a stolen card would go straight to a gas station to see if it works.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I wonder if the real reason is that gas stations are taking credit cards at the pump, and that I would imagine that they are getting tons of chargebacks with fraud and stolen card allegations. Gas stations would have no recourse to fight a chargeback, and someone with a stolen card would go straight to a gas station to see if it works.
But that is true of most retail stores too. You can go into Sears or Wal*Mart and buy a $2000 big screen and run your card through the charge thing and they do not even ask for ID. You can probably even go through the self checkout and do it. Really the credit card business is sooner or later going to have to adopt a PIN code to use it like an ATM card does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics