U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 PM

33,031 posts, read 23,107,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
All that can be done outdoors. In the summer I can with a rocket stove made out of bricks and an old oven rack. You could have mason jars on a window ledge or under a bush. If you can't do that then your lot in life doesn't surprise me.

Renting is where you pay a premium in order to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 06:37 AM

4,229 posts, read 2,297,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
My criticisms of the techniques aren't that different from what were said about the CPI 20 years when the Boskin report came out. Your comments generally aren't informative either. You can usually find people on one side or the other on the CPI issue and it often comes down to politics. The plan to change the index was after all a politically motivated one since there was no interest in raising taxes or cutting expenditures outside of Social Security and Medicare. There've been attempts to create alternatives to the CPI in private industry.
Let me inform you that those are not actually alternatives, as the honest ones themselves tend broadly to post disclaimers noting that their data and methods are not nearly sufficient to compete with the work and results of BLS. And of course, the Boskin report (1996) has been both criticized and out of date for decades. Glomming at this point onto flawed and outmoded analysis is not much of a marker for credibility. No one of course doubts the dangers posed by bias from a variety of sources. BLS in fact takes the matter very seriously and spends a great deal of time investigating and evaluating suggestions of such, testing and then taking corrective action if and when any is actually warranted. Being actually warranted of course is not necessarily the most frequent outcome of such investigations.

What I criticize here then is not so much serious criticism of the CPI as irrational and heterodox slander by some of the work being done each month by thousands of highly educated and experienced professionals in the field of social and economic statistics. These efforts produce what are widely regarded as the best such data available anywhere in the world. Unlike the scrambled eggs notions of untrained populist wannabes, BLS methodologies are developed out of years of study and comment by and among top public, private, and academic sector experts, along with the ideas and inputs of other interested stakeholders. If you had any actually valid criticism to note concerning BLS and its work, you could easily have prepared a paper and presented it at one of many symposia regularly convened by BLS to support this very process. I gather however that you have not done so. Keep us informed.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:23 AM

8,909 posts, read 7,884,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Let me inform you that those are not actually alternatives, as the honest ones themselves tend broadly to post disclaimers noting that their data and methods are not nearly sufficient to compete with the work and results of BLS. And of course, the Boskin report (1996) has been both criticized and out of date for decades.
My points regarding the deficiencies of the methods stands. The Boskin report may be old but the recommendations in the report were implemented by the BLS and that is what we were discussing.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:32 AM

4,229 posts, read 2,297,300 times
The professionals at BLS were at work identifying and eliminating sources of bias long before and in every year since 1996.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:04 AM

13,047 posts, read 11,094,790 times
Quote:
Might be true if some "invisible hand" existed to balance labor markets. But there is no such thing. .
But since the invisible hand is, indeed, invisible... you can't see it.

Quote:
All the power is on the corporate side of the table.
It all depends on the price elasticity of supply and of demand for labor. There are many incredibly tight labor market segments where all the power resides in the hands of the employees.

In high tech, we are in an all-out war for talent. Newly minted engineers & scientists receive dozens of offers for 6 figure salaries while hiring employers go to extreme lengths just to get a candidate to interview for a job. High Tech is a sizeable chunk of the economy, but of course there are other market segments with opposite characteristics.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 04-27-2017 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-27-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Except that the terms of my rent serfdom do not permit me to add value to society in the most efficient way my skills allow.

Renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property.
Where's that GoFundMe link again? You know, the one where we've all promised to donate so you can move elsewhere? I've got cash burning a hole in my pocket and want to help you move elsewhere.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
FYI, I have 45+ years of high-end professional experience in this field. In my world, your claims are nothing but laughable dalliances from la-la-land.
Did you, by chance, sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night???

Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 AM

33,031 posts, read 23,107,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
But since the invisible hand is, indeed, invisible... you can't see it.

It all depends on the price elasticity of supply and of demand for labor. There are many incredibly tight labor market segments where all the power resides in the hands of the employees.

In high tech, we are in an all-out war for talent. Newly minted engineers & scientists receive dozens of offers for 6 figure salaries while hiring employers go to extreme lengths just to get a candidate to interview for a job. High Tech is a sizeable chunk of the economy, but of course there are other market segments with opposite characteristics.

In Japan, employers hire talent right out of high school and TRAIN them to suit the employer's needs. In USA, employers hire ready-to go talent trained by someone else. There is a lot of talent out there that American employers totally ignore because we're not willing to train them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or