U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2017, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,986 posts, read 21,269,649 times
Reputation: 17784

Advertisements

An Aldi opened open fairly recently by me - I went for the first time and didn't like it - it looked like some old warehouse/discount place (and it was new!) - couldn't figure out the shopping cart thing but I'd planned on looking at only a couple things.... produce didn't look good overall, what was okay looking was the same price as regular grocery stores.... maybe it's my area but I don't get the appeal. When I was leaving, a women came in trying to figure out the shopping cart - there is some kind of coiled, springy thing around them - but no clue how to separate them.......... she walked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2017, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Central Pennsylvania
68 posts, read 42,185 times
Reputation: 200
Oh, wow, mizzourah, I had no idea Aldis was so much cheaper. We have one of those in the town I just moved to, but I haven't checked it out. I've never lived near enough to an Aldis to shop at one before, but will make it a point to check it out very soon. My experience has always been that all the grocery stores are basically the same cost overall (including WalMart, no matter how much people argue it's cheaper), but those are some pretty huge price differences you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2017, 07:19 PM
 
4,812 posts, read 4,989,427 times
Reputation: 4033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
An Aldi opened open fairly recently by me - I went for the first time and didn't like it - it looked like some old warehouse/discount place (and it was new!) - couldn't figure out the shopping cart thing but I'd planned on looking at only a couple things.... produce didn't look good overall, what was okay looking was the same price as regular grocery stores.... maybe it's my area but I don't get the appeal. When I was leaving, a women came in trying to figure out the shopping cart - there is some kind of coiled, springy thing around them - but no clue how to separate them.......... she walked out.
You put a quarter in a slot and pull the key out, then when you are done with the cart you put it back and get your quarter back. I know it seems like rocket science but it's really not. It's definitely no frills though. But I don't care about that, I'm in and I'm out. I worked at a grocery store for 8 years, so they are all the same to me. My wife worked at Publix for 8 years and loves Aldi's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion Garden View Post
Oh, wow, mizzourah, I had no idea Aldis was so much cheaper. We have one of those in the town I just moved to, but I haven't checked it out. I've never lived near enough to an Aldis to shop at one before, but will make it a point to check it out very soon. My experience has always been that all the grocery stores are basically the same cost overall (including WalMart, no matter how much people argue it's cheaper), but those are some pretty huge price differences you're talking about.
Yeah fresh is usually considerably cheaper at Aldi's, so your produce and dairy. I've found meat is about on par with Walmart. They also have a pretty good refrigerated 16 inch pizza that's usually $5.99, but often you can find it for $4.99. When Digiorno's are $6-7 for a 12 inch that's a huge difference for supermarket pizza.

When my wife told me what the lady said, she was telling me she was in her late 60s, so I just thought she was delusional, a gallon of milk for a dollar...BS. But she was right. Now I've been to others and the prices differ, but the other one had milk at $1.59/gallon. Nowhere near as cheap, but still better than anywhere else. The best part is that the nearby Walmart neighborhood market competes on all the prices and I typically like the shopping experience a little more (mostly more room in the aisles), so I can just shop there now and get my milk, eggs, and produce at Aldi's prices.

Last edited by mizzourah2006; 04-14-2017 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2017, 06:23 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 2,293,645 times
Reputation: 3802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion Garden View Post
We spend as much on groceries for four people as the mortgage on a five-bedroom house.
SNAP benefits are based on 30% of a recipient's income. While many exceed it these days, the old rule of thumb is to keep housing expense to 30% of your income as well. A rough equivalence between these two budget categories would not be surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2017, 07:00 AM
 
4,812 posts, read 4,989,427 times
Reputation: 4033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
SNAP benefits are based on 30% of a recipient's income. While many exceed it these days, the old rule of thumb is to keep housing expense to 30% of your income as well. A rough equivalence between these two budget categories would not be surprising.
On an average month when you count all money spent at the grocery store and in restaurants we fall well below the thrifty plan for a family of 3. So this includes toilet paper, shampoo, tooth paste, detergents, etc. I guess that's one benefit of needing to watch my weight since I was in HS. I see food as a means to an end instead of something that needs to be enjoyed. We have our cheat meals once or twice a week and usually eat something tasty for dinner but lunches for me are always grilled chicken breast and a side of some sort. Snacks are a protein shake and a piece of peanut butter bread or almonds.

https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/defa...oodFeb2017.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2017, 07:17 AM
 
18,986 posts, read 24,617,118 times
Reputation: 36483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
On an average month when you count all money spent at the grocery store and in restaurants we fall well below the thrifty plan for a family of 3. So this includes toilet paper, shampoo, tooth paste, detergents, etc. I guess that's one benefit of needing to watch my weight since I was in HS. I see food as a means to an end instead of something that needs to be enjoyed. We have our cheat meals once or twice a week and usually eat something tasty for dinner but lunches for me are always grilled chicken breast and a side of some sort. Snacks are a protein shake and a piece of peanut butter bread or almonds.

https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/defa...oodFeb2017.pdf
good post....


if you look at cost per serving,,,,you can eat very thrifty and healthy if you buy right at the grocery stores,,

you can buy protein for .99lb chicken parts and 1.69lb boneless chicken breasts...
you can buy boneless pork chops for 1.99lb
and burger for 2.99 lb along with some steaks and roasts.. also for 2.99lb

and buy veggies on sale

and pasta is cheap!!! and bread is cheap as are homemade sandwiches
and eggs are cheap!

how much is a dozen medium eggs 1.29??

so for 3-4 eggs for scrambled eggs its less than 50 cents????



I took my son out to eat last sunday and they had 8.99 burgers up to 14.99 "gourmet" burgers

3.00 for a diet pepsi mostly ice,,,,,
ridiculous!! (but I guess I was the fool paying for it)


my son is 24 and a pharmacist, he can buy anything he wants..
he still chooses to be thrifty...he hasn't fallen for the organic falsehoods at 3x the costs, and
he prides himself on finding values and cooking them into very good dishes

maybe this is the balance of treating yourself once in a while at a restaurant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2017, 07:36 AM
 
4,812 posts, read 4,989,427 times
Reputation: 4033
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good post....


if you look at cost per serving,,,,you can eat very thrifty and healthy if you buy right at the grocery stores,,

you can buy protein for .99lb chicken parts and 1.69lb boneless chicken breasts...
you can buy boneless pork chops for 1.99lb
and burger for 2.99 lb along with some steaks and roasts.. also for 2.99lb

and buy veggies on sale

and pasta is cheap!!! and bread is cheap as are homemade sandwiches
and eggs are cheap!

how much is a dozen medium eggs 1.29??

so for 3-4 eggs for scrambled eggs its less than 50 cents????



I took my son out to eat last sunday and they had 8.99 burgers up to 14.99 "gourmet" burgers

3.00 for a diet pepsi mostly ice,,,,,
ridiculous!! (but I guess I was the fool paying for it)


my son is 24 and a pharmacist, he can buy anything he wants..
he still chooses to be thrifty...he hasn't fallen for the organic falsehoods at 3x the costs, and
he prides himself on finding values and cooking them into very good dishes

maybe this is the balance of treating yourself once in a while at a restaurant

Yup, when we do steaks we almost always get the discounted steak that is getting ready to be thrown out. We usually cook it day of or the next day anyway. You can get great deals on t bones, porter houses, rib eyes, strip steaks, etc. There isn't a reason we have to do that, our HH income is north of $150k/yr in a low cost of living area, but why spend more than you need to just to say you shop at the nice grocer in town. I'd prefer to max out all of our tax advantaged retirement vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2017, 05:31 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 2,293,645 times
Reputation: 3802
Even at $150,000 per year, there is a tendency for the value of time to outpace the value of money. But as you note, personal preferences can vary widely.

In any event however, food prices are not "out of control." They have in fact been in a period of relative stability relative to their own history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2017, 11:00 AM
 
33,031 posts, read 23,068,052 times
Reputation: 8975
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Alternatives to water can be expensive.

What's the difference between "TIP/OTHER" and "GRATUITY"?

The whole receipt looks gratuitous to me.

Looks to me like the tequila might have been the best value there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2017, 08:20 PM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,344,863 times
Reputation: 2093
Food is getting over price. Currently i work in a food retail business and i see cost vs retails. Typical margin on food, is 30-40% above cost. Health and Beauty stuff has a mark up around %50-%75, meat is around %60 depending how good the butcher can cut it, produce is %25-35%. We have vendors that will lock in prices on packages such as chips gives the retailer a %30 margin. Those 2 for dollar chips you see at walmart, cost them around 5-10 cents a bag. When cost goes up, so does retail that is normal, but when they start charging extras like shipping, that is were we have to eat it. We dont like having to eat shipping fees because the vendor is too cheap to eat it. Lucky my boss/owner will drop a vendor if they start charging shipping fees, even if the product does sell, it just eats up his bottom dollar that can be use to pay us. But to the point of this nearly 10 year old thread, cost will always go up in food due to lot of conditions. #1 is greed of the producer, #2 Greed of the retailer, than rest is mother nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top