U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:18 AM

5,582 posts, read 5,358,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Government statistics are far more accurate and valuable than rants of on-line babble. That's why people with an actual need for such data rely on BLS.
You invite is not to believe our eyes and trust BLS instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 09:25 AM

18,324 posts, read 16,262,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I spend as little time in this zoo kitchen as I can.

You don't need a kitchen. Oh I don't expect everyone to know how to snack on young maple seeds in lieu of sweet peas, like i am doing now, but your lack of resourcefulness is appalling.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 AM

4,229 posts, read 2,293,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
You invite is not to believe our eyes and trust BLS instead?
Correct. BLS and all the other official statistical agencies that simply blow away the silliness of man-in-the-street babble.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:45 AM

21,917 posts, read 32,091,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Food is getting over priced
Weird observation since there isn't a mean price on food items. How exactly would anyone go about arbitrarily assigning a price to varying items that's a benchmark when there is so much fluctuation with production issues (too hot/dry/wet weather conditions, gas prices and other variables) that dictate wholesale value before it even gets to a retailer? I find it fascinating how willingly Americans will toss gobs of money down the hole for the latest and best cell phones but have a conniption over paying $3 a pound for Broccoli.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 AM

13,047 posts, read 11,081,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Actually, it's a great way to point out that incomes are too low.
Or, said differently, that their value-add to society is too low.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:59 AM

13,047 posts, read 11,081,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If you're poor enough to have to live with several other people......one can always add more value to society so as to earn more money and not be poor.

There. I fixed it for you.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:56 AM

8,885 posts, read 7,866,710 times
When the BLS doesn't believe its eyes, it applies an approach called intervention analysis to fudge the numbers. It typically does this a lot for energy prices. If they can't fudge with real numbers, they create fake surveys like the OER survey or the auto survey. When the fudge gets ridiculous as in the hedonically adjusted numbers for computer and communications equipment, they reset the benchmarks so that their weight in the component list goes back up. Otherwise, the hedonic adjustments push down the cost of these categories to almost zero and would no longer have any effect on dampening the CPI. There are a lot of other tricks in the CPI, all skewed to lowering the result.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:03 PM

5,582 posts, read 5,358,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
There. I fixed it for you.
You forgot to define "value to society". If we take a circular definition as value is money and money is value, society is a mighty sick almost insane creature.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,319,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion Garden View Post
Food prices are totally insane. We spend as much on groceries for four people as the mortgage on a five-bedroom house (no, I am NOT including eating out or take out in that). Literally the housing payment is $950 and groceries range from $850-$1,000 depending on the month. Of course, despite being in a generally mid-range COL area, my food prices are much closer to Hemlock's outside SF than mizzourah's. At least, milk is $2.99-$3.99/gallon depending on where you shop and which brand you get. I guess if I could get milk for $1.04 a gallon (and other stuff at equivalently a third the cost I actually pay) then maybe my grocery bill could be as low as some have posted on this thread, but seeing as no such prices EXIST here, that's not exactly a viable plan.

It's actually extremely frustrating because I have all the other bills at basically their 1970s equivalent level. We paid $129k for our house, only about $10k more than the adjusted average price in the OP's post, and I'm sure the lower interest rates make up for that difference. I only buy used cars for cash and have never sold or junked a car (still driving what I got at 16, though I've bought a second as well), nor paid more than half of that $12k adjusted price, which probably makes up for needing to pay for cell phones, internet, and cable which didn't exist back then (services I also have at a reasonable cost).

But there's just no controlling the grocery bill, it seems. I've wasted hours looking at online guides to shopping frugally, but we already do a lot of it and the rest we either can't do (we don't have a Costco near us or a chest freezer to buy perishables in bulk) or aren't willing to do (I'm not soaking beans for 24 hours, especially since they always turn out gross anyway, or drinking nothing but water).
If you have a bit of a yard - you can put in a garden- last years garden was three 8 ft by 4 ft wooden bookshelves we got for $7 each at our building reuse center- (put them flat on the ground and drill some holes for drainage if theres a backing/ instant container gardens and big enough you can grow squash and corn too) theres always someone giving away free fill dirt on craigslist, nextdoor neighbor-

we put in collard greens, swiss chard, sugar snap peas, arugula, green beans, zucchini and tomatoes (in large tubs along the house for more heat) and ate from spring through fall (the last collards I picked in november, but we have a mild climate).
I love crock potting it turns tough, cheap cuts of meat and those bigger collard green leaves into melt-in-your mouth delicacies....

(theres been so many dandelions I have weeded up so far this spring that I might try using so
me of them too)...

Even when I didn't have much of a yard (condo living) I put cherry tomatoes on my fire escape with some plastic sheeting around them, so much tastier than store bought and cheaper too....

I want chickens too, but the neighbor hood boards have so much vitriol against them (for bringing in rats, even though here in the Metro area the rats are here to stay) I have hesitated so far- even though they are allowed-
chickens are great recyclers of food waste/ scraps...

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 04-25-2017 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: added container garden and zuchnini

Old 04-25-2017, 02:54 PM

33,031 posts, read 23,068,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You don't need a kitchen. Oh I don't expect everyone to know how to snack on young maple seeds in lieu of sweet peas, like i am doing now, but your lack of resourcefulness is appalling.

In this zoo, I do need to do food things in the kitchen if i am to avoid the ire of the person from whom I am renting. I could not do canning or similar foodie things in my room and get away with it. He just evicted someone else for doing no-nos in their room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or