U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Bad Economy: economic depression, expectations, fiscal policy, home mortgage interest rates.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 07:56 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,901,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
I think there is another thread on here for military haters. You should find it. The military, contrary to your rant is an economic stimulus. Always has been a stimulus aand, probably always will be. Some of the other points you mention, make sense, but not your anti-military stance. If not for the military, you and I would not be here. That is a fact, like it or not.
I don't take what he said to mean he hates the military. I was IN the military and I agree with what he said. The military is NOT a "stimulus". It adds NO productivity to the economy at all. It only takes money out of the economy but returns nothing in the way of production to it. Yes, we need a military but it needs to be a smaller military. A lot smaller. And it is going to get smaller. We cannot afford it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,484,473 times
Having been thru those times, the biggest difference now is sheer number of problems the economy is facing. In past recessions there were only a few basic problems to work thru, but the economic foundations were in pretty good shape. This time is different. All recessions are caused by over consumption and debt, but the amount of debt we are facing now is staggering in comparison to past. When you combine the American consumer’s debt with the debts of banks, cities, states, and Feds, and then add in England, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Australia, and most of the rest of the free world, you have a situation we have never seen before. Then add to that commodity shortages and you have a very bad state of affairs. It may not feel that bad yet, but it will get worse.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:08 PM

19 posts, read 67,415 times
Hello ...
This is the original poster here. I thank you for your responses. It helps shine a bit of a broader spectrum onto the whole situation ... even though there appear to be different opinions to my original question, I feel more informed now.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,901,138 times
In the end we will be fine. We always come out better in the end!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or