U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:13 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,700,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I wish I was in 8th grade... I would of done things differently... unfortunately the last time I was in school was when I finished my professional degree and racked up 160k in educational loans... that was years ago... the posters above me (and below me) were hostile towards solar energy and rather we build nuclear power or drill for more oil... none of which was a solution... only impediments to future energy standards.. now that someone is suggesting that solar energy is an extremely viable alternative, they jump on the bandwagon... its strange that people would rather jump on something a celebrity of sort would talk about instead of thinking about it on their own... it just makes sense what our energy standard was going to evolve to... why wait? When you can push it through faster..
The current projections about solar have to do with advances in technology. Don't you think the animosity you observed had more to do with the state of the technology at the time and less towards the concept of solar energy?

As for the "celebrity" aspect, it is generally a little annoying to early adopters when people start getting on a bandwagon. But it usually takes someone with some level of public profile to raise awareness.

We live in a community that is pretty "granola." I find it amusing when the greenies get annoyed with big companies like SC Johnson or Clorox touting green products or practices. I'll admit the companies are just trying to make money but the greenies miss the point that there a demand has been created for environmentally friendly products or practices.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 PM

127 posts, read 183,765 times
Ray Kurzweil - Time magazine's person of the year anytime soon

Last edited by aspiring_natural; 07-17-2012 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 08:28 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,679,050 times
The solar leasing articles I've read recently seem promising. Lets you get in without the huge upfront cost.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:30 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,782,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I'd like to have power when the sun isn't shining. When big solar doesn't need massive government subsidies to produce energy cheaper than petro or nuclear, I'll look into it. Until then, we need oil and it's time to tap into our own resources before every other country does it for us and then exports it back to us at a nice profit.
there is wind and there is biomass. there are alternatives to solar. that's why it's best to have a combination of those instead of just relying on one source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics