U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 AM

3,283 posts, read 4,752,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
I was pointed to this video today, and while his delivery is sorta 'fire and brimstone', it's very believeable and to the point. It's long and definitely worth watching. This was Oct 07, and he called for $4/gal gas back then, and I can't find any info disparaging the guy.

The Energy Non-Crisis

Lindsey Williams talks about his first hand knowledge of Alaskan oil reserves larger than any on earth. And he talks about how the oil companies and U.S. government won't send it through the pipeline for U.S. citizens to use due to geopolitical implications.

Sobering...I hope it isn't true, but at the same time wouldn't be surprised to learn that it is...
real life version of willard "digger" barnes. the guy's a preacher not a geologist! get real.

here is one of the reviews of his book on amazon:
"The book contains many undocumented statements and a few half truths. I have been in the oil construction / engineering field in Alaska for over 30 years. I have also done extensive research on Hubbert's "Peak Oil" theory, which is not a theory anymore. In 1948 Hubbert began proving his theory beyond doubt by refining his data in time blocks to gain the maximum accuracy it contains today. Hubbert's theory acounts for the unfound oil and it is proving more true as time passes. It is a shame to see an individual, like Williams, supposedly representing God, to use a dead man,a mystery man and our nation's ignorance on anything outside American Idol, in an attempt to get into his neighbor's pockets."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 11:01 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,387,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
That is incorrect. How can you say speculators hardly have an effect on the price of a commodity after what we have gone through with the tech and real estate bubbles. Those were both Led by speculators.
This bubble is by far more painful than the past ones. Everybody must use petroleum products, wheras those who bought their homes to live in are unaffected by the real estate crash.

They are trying their hardest to get it to $150 by July 4th. Question is, when will demand destruction start to kick in?

And I am not sure Hubbert or Lindsey Williams are 100% on the mark though they both have good points.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This bubble is by far more painful than the past ones. Everybody must use petroleum products, wheras those who bought their homes to live in are unaffected by the real estate crash.

They are trying their hardest to get it to $150 by July 4th. Question is, when will demand destruction start to kick in?

And I am not sure Hubbert or Lindsey Williams are 100% on the mark though they both have good points.

there might be lowered US demand but the chinese have piles and piles of dollars they're looking to get rid of

Last edited by 58robbo; 06-27-2008 at 12:34 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 11:34 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,387,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
their might be lowered US demand but the chinese have piles and piles of dollars they're looking to get rid of
People can cut back and cut back but eventually they aren't going to be able to cut back anymore. 10 millions cars will go off the road if gas hits $7.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:43 AM

19,089 posts, read 20,629,955 times
10 million cars go off the road if it hits $7... Damn, I hope it hits $7 then... thats a good thing....

Old 06-27-2008, 11:47 AM

717 posts, read 628,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
10 million cars go off the road if it hits $7... Damn, I hope it hits $7 then... thats a good thing....
I have noticed traffic is less then it was a year ago. Anyone else?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
People can cut back and cut back but eventually they aren't going to be able to cut back anymore. 10 millions cars will go off the road if gas hits $7.
thank god for small mercies

Old 06-27-2008, 12:42 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,004,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
I have noticed traffic is less then it was a year ago. Anyone else?
yea a bit. Fuel cost increases taxes the poor more than the rich... and the poor usually have the longer commutes. Rail and bus ridership has also gone up which would improve traffic congestion.

Overall though, higher gas prices just increasingly stratifies the rich and the poor. The poor btw out numbers the rich and are increasingly burdened. Put two and two together... and see what happens.

-chuck22b

Old 06-27-2008, 03:11 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,589,042 times
Quote:
The Saudis held their summit and announced an increase in production of 800,000 bpd and a capacity increase within a year of almost 2 million bpd. Its quite a substantial increase. You would think this news would put pressure on prices, right? Wrong! Speculators have already found excuses to continue to drive prices up, mostly Nigeria and Israel/Iran tensions. $140 oil is certain either Monday or Tuesday and $150 by the end of the week or the beginning of next.
Quote:
Crossed $142 today. We will defintaly go over $145-147 by the end of the day. $160 by July 4th. I say $200-250 by the end of the summer. Its time to start stocking up on food and getting into survival mode.
Well, it crossed $142 then settled down at $140 for the week rather than $150. Didn't even get close to $145 for the day. Guess it's not as certain as you thought. It must get old being constantly so pessimistic.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:06 PM

655 posts, read 756,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Well, it crossed $142 then settled down at $140 for the week rather than $150. Didn't even get close to $145 for the day. Guess it's not as certain as you thought. It must get old being constantly so pessimistic.
Oil will spike next week. I don't know if it hits $150 by July 4th, but I would guess it will come very close. $5 a gallon will be seen by August for sure. It is already in the cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics