U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:14 AM

7 posts, read 16,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Check out this news article on this done a few years ago when it was beginning:
In pursuit of the almighty dollar - Consumer Alert- msnbc.com
I completely agree with that news article - I personally have issues with Brit World Wide and how they operate.

If you build a business, any business, there is always a system. It is your own due diligence that you look into the system offered by the corporation, franchise, or network marketing.

In Qstar there are currently approximately 20 different organizations, with each one operating differently in north america. I definitely urge you to be careful which organization's system you sponsor into, as they all have pro's and cons. I'm very thankful to be part of the World Wide Dream Builders - Korea division, even though I'm not korean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Yeah, right. The minimum monthly product quantity was far in excess of what I, a single college student, could use in many months.
I'm unfamiliar with this minimum monthly product, but at least you got half of the idea. If it'll last longer, means less trips to the supermarket.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 AM

And actually, yes, I can beat that $1.33 / redbull can.

$27.60 / 12 = $2.30 / can.
Butttt, I save myself 29-35% retail profit, so,
$2.30 * 71% = $1.63 / can
Butttt, I also have a bonus of 25-31%, so,
$1.63 * 25% = $1.22 / can

Old 07-14-2009, 02:21 AM

11,266 posts, read 45,035,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWDB-K View Post
I'm unfamiliar with this minimum monthly product, but at least you got half of the idea. If it'll last longer, means less trips to the supermarket.
No, pal, I understand quite fully the whole idea. I'm not about to buy consumer or domestic products that are far in excess of what I'll use in a year or two every month.

"the plan" at the time required that I sign up for a minimum monthly purchase amount of products every month. The quantities of products were far in excess of what I could consume or otherwise use. A box of laundry soap would last me almost a year, and many other products were of similar excessive size packaging for my needs. On top of that, to make my minimum agreed purchase amount, I'd have to have bought many products that I wouldn't use at all ....

What pi**ed me off with the hard sell concept from the folks pushing "the plan" was that they didn't care that they were stuck in the sales mode of selling me products far in excess of my possible consumption or need. The big thing for them was to "make the sale" in accordance with their needs, not mine.

As a professional in the industrial sales business (after a long term career in the automotive service industry), I know that my customer's needs are what I'm trying to satisfy, not my needs. If I take care of my customer, then my needs will be fulfilled in due course. But the Amway training and hard sales pitches I was exposed to from many people throughout the '60's-70's-80's-90's was all about them ... and not me as a client.

The sales pitch "dream" of fabulous riches from "the plan" or "the business" from the MLM concept and not "trading time for dollars" works if you don't have a better vision of how you can work or provide for your own needs. And while I've accumulated a number of toys and stuff along the way over the past 45 years, I've never been envious of those who have so much more. I've worked for what I want and what I need, and had the time to enjoy and play along the way ... but I did it for myself, not to impress others. IMO, a large part of the pitch appeal for "the plan" is that you'll have the income to buy all this "stuff" to impress others that you've really "made it" in life.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:12 AM

I have to say sunsprit, that's very intense. I'm glad I don't do things that way, or at all how you just described. I have an interesting story too... I wasn't a sure sell on the Amway thing either in the very beginning, hell, I even turned it down 3 times.

It wasn't until my close friend showed it to me for the 4th time. By then I had been hard-selled enough to turn it down right away - and I regret to say I laughed at him for 6 months before I actually investigated it myself, and I approved of the way they did business, stuck with it ever since, and now I'm fairly well off as a med student in canada (my line of sponsorship actually comes from a line of doctors).

I'm glad things have worked out for you - you are the few people whom I've had a chance to chat with who has had a chance at freedom. Mind you, freedom isn't being wealthy, but rather the way you want to live life.

I, on behalf of my team, don't encourage to do things solely to impress others (it won't last if that's the case). Our stand point stays as 'status is just impressing people who we don't care about'.

I think hard selling is definitely not the way to go, as we're not sales men (tho some choose to be - to which I haven't seen much success). I wish I showed you the plan instead sun sprit =p I like your personality.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:28 AM

593 posts, read 2,273,599 times
I've had people pitch Amway/Quixtar/whatever the latest spinoff is several times. They always approach me in a Starbucks, a Shopping Mall, or a Barnes&Noble/Borders bookstore. And they always ask me the same thing...

Quote:
"Excuse me, but you look familiar...are you from around here?"
To me, that is just an unethical way to promote a business, and I'm very turned off by it. Something isn't right if they have to *lie* to introduce themselves to people.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:38 AM

1,403 posts, read 3,191,563 times
Quote:

Now, in Amway, you don't have to have downline to make money. Instead, we offer a pro-suming model that has no downline, and yet is still able to make a considerable amount of money - in fact, its more profitable than having downline.
Pro-suming model....care to explain?

Quote:
I'm very glad to post my finances. But before I do that I don't want to use money to motivate you.
That's very nice, but lets just assume that my sole motivator is money...as it is for any businessperson at the end of the day...

My very, very first 6 months, as a semi-active IBO (independent business owner) annual report and taxes to the CRA (I live in canada) are as follows:

Performance bonus: $2155.02
Gross profit: $2464.70
New IBO Incentive: $150.00
Purchases: -$2675.39

Profit: $2094.33
[/quote]

So if you had bought and sold the products you did in this time period, you'd be over 200 bucks in the hole. (Purchases - gross profit). ALL of your so-called profit comes from a Performance bonus...what is that exactly?

Quote:
On top of that, as a paramedic, I pay approximately $12000/yr to taxes, but the tax benefits of owning a sole proprietorship business offered me enough tax deductions (cellphone, property tax, utilities, vehicle depreciation, dinners, gas etc) that I only had to pay the CRA this year ~$2400. I'm happy I saved my tax dollars, and on top of that, made that average ~$350/month.
I can't argue the tax benefits of small business ownership, in Canada no less. However, it should be noted that the US may not consider "the business" eligible for the small business tax benefits.

Quote:
The avg success rate is actually posted publicly, and a requirement to show all prospective business builders. I'll quote it here:

"
The average monthly gross income for "active" ...IBO was $181 CDN.

*Approximately 66% of all IBOS were found to be "active".
*Active IBO's: Based on an independent survey during 2001, "active" means an IBO who attempted to make a retail sale or presented the Marketing Plan, or received bonus money, or attended a company meeting or IBO meeting in the year 2000
*Gross Income ... ... (not going to quote it, as its a long and detailed, but essentially its the profit from retail sale minus cost of goods sold plus amount of performance bonus retained, personal expenses not included)
"
$181? You made of 2K (pretty much all of it being this performance bonus....why the difference?

Quote:
I don't like to use the car dealership analogy, but if I were to use it, its not the car dealership I'm comparing. Its the salesman I would use. I would not buy a ford from a ford salesmen if he drives a chevy.

As for purchasing products, we do buy it directly from Amway Global, at a wholesale cost. Quixtar and Amway operate differently. When it was Amway, we had to pick up from out upline 'Platinum'. Now we haven't had to do so for many many years.
So you don't have to buy from these "diamond" folks?????????

Quote:
As a sponsor and upline to many people, we don't make a share of your profits. On top of that, we don't even make a cut. If u sold someone a product, u retain the retail profit, and you also retain the performance bonus.
Again with the performance bonus....where does this come from? Who is paying you this bonus? What is it based on.

So if you don't make a share of the profits from your downline...then what is the point of having a downline in the first place?

Quote:
What I think you're confused with is the compensation plan. It is difficult to go through without drawing it out, but essentially it is a differential - which gives the option of those who started 'at the bottom' of the chain as you put it, the option of making more money than those at the top.
You bet I'm confused at this point! Why is the compensation plan so difficult to understand and why are you not willing to lay it out? I don't understand how people at the bottom have the option of making more money than those at the top...how the heck does that work?

Quote:
Amway does not actually produce, nor distribute educational materials. On top of that, whatever Amway does produce and distribute is actually free.
You do realize you contradicted yourself here, right?

Quote:
On top of that, when Amway does send us tapes and informative material, it is free, and it is about the products.

The tapes and CD's that attain this negativity are actually produced, manufactured, and distributed by respective organizations - Its like a car sales lot, different franchises of the same car company do things differently, but still adhere to the overall company business practices. These may talk about products, or they may talk about how to make a profitable business, or they may talk about the life before and after this business and the hardships - there are many categories for one to choose from.

The tapes and CD's are optional. Infact, the tapes and CD's that are distributed in my organization are all free. I do not charge my group anything, nor have I been charged, anything.
So these tapes magically appeared for you and your group? Where did they come from? How come other people are paying $6-7 for their tapes?

Are you telling me that Amway flies you out for their "business meetings" in Michigan on their dime? You've never paid for airfare, hotel expenses?

Quote:
Retail wise, perhaps we can't beat that Redbull price. But did you factor in convenience cost? The cost of driving out to the store, picking up the product, and driving back, carrying it inside? Time cost? What about those who are not locally close to the store - the cost goes up. If its shipped, great - but is there P&D?
That price was online. What is your shipping cost? Or has Amway figured out a way to ship products at no cost to the buyer along with their solid-gold business model?

Quote:
What about product quality, taste, and benefits? Redbull for fact, cannot compete with XS energy drinks in those areas. If you've tried our product, and still prefer redbull's variety and taste, then I urge you to stick with it - but have you looked at your other options is the idea.
If XS is so wonderful, how come Walmart hasn't picked it up yet? You can't expect me to believe that Amway would turn down a deal with Walmart to carry their product out of loyalty to their IBOs. The scale at which Walmart could market this product is huge compared to their current model.

Quote:
If I was an IBO, and I looked at a comparable product, whether it be Tide, Centrum, Redbull or what may be, if its the same price, I would still purchase from Amway - simply because I will support what supports me, on top of that, XS gives me points on the back end, which converts to cash akin to a rebate. Does safeway, wal-mart, costco, superstore, all these department stores, do that?
Ugh, points....what you are saying is that they give you points...I'm skeptical they can be converted to cash...its points they give you to put toward purchase of more of their product, that is already inflated in price. Don't you get that the IBO IS the customer?

Quote:
As for the first part, lets say I'm an owner of a wal mart - what determines a customer coming to my wal mart as opposed to another wal mart in the city? Convenience. On top of that, there is no exclusivity + associated costs of distribution.
First, you can't be an owner of a Walmart....its a privately owned corporation. Second, how come Walmart has all of these costs you cite, but still sells items cheaper than everyone else (including AMWAY)? Its called economy of scale...They buy more from the manufacturer at a cheaper per unit price and pass along the saving. I'd like to see all of the products Amway sells that are actually cheaper FOR ME to buy than for me to buy them at Walmart. I don't care if its cheaper for YOU with all of these points and what-not.

How is Amway consistently able to research, patent their products, and still maintain a competitive edge + incredible bonuses and incentives? Because if we did what you just suggested, the costs in the chains of distribution to all these areas would increase fixed and variable costs, driving product cost up, and eliminating the people saving money and time and convenience

I'm not sure they do any of these things. I'm not convinced based on your argument.

If people did understand it, Amway would be the global dominance in the retail market chain. I highly recommend reading and attending Robert Kiosake's seminars, as they'll put a professional perspective as to why that is.
Yeah, that's the thing about capitalism....winning ideas naturally float to the top. I ask you, if the amway business model is such a great idea why HASN'T it gained global dominance????

Old 07-27-2009, 11:40 AM

1,403 posts, read 3,191,563 times
Quote:
And actually, yes, I can beat that $1.33 / redbull can.

$27.60 / 12 = $2.30 / can.
Butttt, I save myself 29-35% retail profit, so,
$2.30 * 71% = $1.63 / can
Butttt, I also have a bonus of 25-31%, so,
$1.63 * 25% = $1.22 / can
That's for you to buy this product from your upline. How much do you charge the non-IBO that buys this product from you (or one of your downline)????

Old 06-30-2013, 01:18 AM

4,706 posts, read 3,125,221 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/econo...lar-story.html
A lot of cult and negative stories here, just in case people really were thinking about doing Amway ^^

Married to an Ambot
Really fun blog. People tell about Amway is it is.

Quote:
Quixtar has been in operation since 1999, Amway since 1959 - once again, the way they operate is completely different.
McDonalds has been around for many decades. That doesn't mean I'm going to be eating their food everyday, nor buy one of their franchises. And while they still have their place in the world, it's well known that their food isn't really good for you.

I've seen the payment models that Amway gives to potential IBOs... if you go without downlines (in-breadth as in more downlines from you and in-depth as in each downline getting their own downlines), you'll make pittance money for the 10 to 20+ hours you put in a week.

Getting $$ back from buying Amway products is near useless... you spend $300+, only to get a $10 check. You're better off buying at discount from your typical store than doing Amway. Unless you're an internet age hermit, you'll have to go out and buy stuff anyways. And when ordering stuff from Amway online, you need to wait a few days for the products to get to you, not to mention pay for shipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics