U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Oil news: peak, price, climate change, global warming, alternative fuels.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:40 PM

655 posts, read 758,004 times

Advertisements

NASA warming scientist: 'This is the last chance' - Yahoo! News (broken link)

I've long theorized and speculated something greater is behind this huge oil spike then supply and demand, which I do not think is the problem, yet at least. I think the powers that be, have come up with a plan, as painful as it might be, to force corporations to come up with different energy ideas due to global warming. Oil at $225-$250 a barrel, and gas at $8-$9 a gallon will do it. And that is where it is going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 08:17 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,403,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
NASA warming scientist: 'This is the last chance' - Yahoo! News (broken link)

I've long theorized and speculated something greater is behind this huge oil spike then supply and demand, which I do not think is the problem, yet at least. I think the powers that be, have come up with a plan, as painful as it might be, to force corporations to come up with different energy ideas due to global warming. Oil at $225-$250 a barrel, and gas at $8-$9 a gallon will do it. And that is where it is going.
Not everybody agrees that global warming is 100% caused by man. Al Gore is not the final authority. I can see the government taxing gas to $8-9 in the name of fighting global warming, but I don't think that is what is behind these oil prices. If oil prices are not supply and demand, what is behind them is a repeat of the Enron scandal. Our country cannot survive gas prices at $8 or $9. There will be a lot greater consequences of that, including half the population out of work and mass starvation.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:39 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,173,019 times
It is very simple;everybody wants it.There is black gold fever.Without it a nation dies and will do so for decades to come. Alternative are a pipe dream we need to work on but not depend on for a long time.Britain and other countries are paying 8-9 dollars now.People will pay it if it gets that high and it just might. That is why people need to eliminate as much debt as possible and quite buying worthless things.

Last edited by texdav; 06-23-2008 at 08:51 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It is very simple;everybody wants it.There is black gold fever.Without it a nation dies and will do so for decdes to come. Alternative are a pipe dream we need to work on but not depend on for a long time.Britain and other countries are paying 8-9 dollars now.People will pay it if ti ghets that high and it just might. Tat is why people need to eliminate as much debt as possible and quite buying worthless things.

You are right. I am for alternative energy as much as anybody out there, but we need to be realistic about it. Nothing we have now is up to replacing oil. Electric and hydrogen are possibilities, but without new nuclear plants, it just isn't going to work. A liberal favorite, corn ethanol sure isn't it. Our economy depends on oil and will for years to come.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You are right. I am for alternative energy as much as anybody out there, but we need to be realistic about it. Nothing we have now is up to replacing oil. Electric and hydrogen are possibilities, but without new nuclear plants, it just isn't going to work. A liberal favorite, corn ethanol sure isn't it. Our economy depends on oil and will for years to come.
If you guys really and truly believe this and I'm not saying your wrong, then you best be prepared to go to war over oil. Not the left viewpoint that we went into Iraq for oil, but real, "I'm taking it from you like it or not, F-off and die," type of war. If there is no real viable alternative outside oil, it will eventually (probably sooner rather then later) lead to this.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
If you guys really and truly believe this and I'm not saying your wrong, then you best be prepared to go to war over oil. Not the left viewpoint that we went into Iraq for oil, but real, "I'm taking it from you like it or not, F-off and die," type of war. If there is no real viable alternative outside oil, it will eventually (probably sooner rather then later) lead to this.
There are alternatives, but none as efficient when it comes to the amount of energy you get out compared to the amount you put in. Electric, hydrogen is all wonderful, but there MUST be an electricity source to provide the energy. NUCLEAR would be the best option near term, if environmentalists would allow it to happen.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:09 AM

7,437 posts, read 11,234,793 times
There is a good chance that global warming caused by man is bunk. Probably more realistic is climate change, it has happened before in the earth's history, it is probably happening again, but in which direction, like the wind, is anybody's guess.

To be sure, there is speculation behind the spike in oil prices, but the main driver is supply and demand.

As others have mentioned, alternatives, right now, are a relatively inefficient substitute.

We have already started one war to seize oil (which apparently hasn't come to the international market yet) and wars are pending in Iran and central Asia.

The solution going forward will probably be a combination of things: slower consumption growth or cut-back in consumption in the advanced industrialized oil-importing countries, oil wars, branching out into alternatives in a hodgepodge fashion, including inefficient subsidies along the way, renewed domestic drilling, revived coal, revived nuclear, more alternative energy research and test applications, investment in more energy-efficient vehicles, housing and commercial, industrial and government buildings, and (God forbid in the US) some serious investment in mass transit like railway (nahhhhhh, better to seize oil through war, it costs less, no?).

Old 06-24-2008, 03:21 AM

702 posts, read 2,835,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Our country cannot survive gas prices at $8 or $9. There will be a lot greater consequences of that, including half the population out of work and mass starvation.
No reason why the U.S. can't survive $8 or $9 gas. Europe is doing it right now. Maybe it will force people to change their habits and force the government to invest in public transport. It maybe a silver lining that forces the wasteful practices such as long commutes, huge houses to be curbed.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,855,022 times
have you guys not noticed that it isn't just oil that is rising in price it is practically every commodity, aside from housing!!!! The reason for that is because the federal reserve bank and the US government are printing money and increasing the money supply. That means that your hard earned money and purchasing power is going down the drain! If you guys would have invested in gold and silver you would have been protected because for the most part gold and silver has appreciated nearly as much as oil. The demand factor is only a small factor.

The sooner you realize that the US dollar is nothing more than a peice of paper that can be printed in massive quantities at the demand of the government or the federal reserve, the better off you will be. Oh, and if you think you can escape the printing by going to the euro or yen, good luck all fiat currencies are the same and all of them go to zero value sooner or later!

To protect yourself, simply do this:
1) Dump your savings and convert it to gold and silver coins.
2) Move stock funds into a roth ira or other tax efficient accounts - this will help you protect your money from inflation taxation.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
have you guys not noticed that it isn't just oil that is rising in price it is practically every commodity, aside from housing!!!! The reason for that is because the federal reserve bank and the US government are printing money and increasing the money supply. That means that your hard earned money and purchasing power is going down the drain! If you guys would have invested in gold and silver you would have been protected because for the most part gold and silver has appreciated nearly as much as oil. The demand factor is only a small factor.

The sooner you realize that the US dollar is nothing more than a peice of paper that can be printed in massive quantities at the demand of the government or the federal reserve, the better off you will be. Oh, and if you think you can escape the printing by going to the euro or yen, good luck all fiat currencies are the same and all of them go to zero value sooner or later!

To protect yourself, simply do this:
1) Dump your savings and convert it to gold and silver coins.
2) Move stock funds into a roth ira or other tax efficient accounts - this will help you protect your money from inflation taxation.
Gold is a good investment, no argument there. Why? Because gold is real and what backs all currency. However, as a simple mid-term investment strategy, most agree, gold has made its run. And when the dow hits 7000 as I'm predicting, gold or any other precious metal won't really matter. Survival at the barbarian level will.......

Isn't it the Bible that states....."a bag of gold won't buy a loaf of bread?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or