Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:33 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg.com: Exclusive

June 7 (Bloomberg) -- American teenagers looking for summer jobs are facing the worst prospects in five years as retailers and restaurants trim payrolls in response to a slowing economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 02:52 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
News at 11, home robberies sky rocket.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:53 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,201 times
Awsome. A bunch of angry teens with nothing to do for the summer months.

boredom + broke (no money) + high hormones = ?????? Something bad I think.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:23 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,085 times
Dude, now I'm surely going to get robbed!

"American teenagers looking for summer jobs are facing the worst prospects in five years"

Oh wait....the same thing happened 5 years ago? Never mind.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Dude, now I'm surely going to get robbed!

"American teenagers looking for summer jobs are facing the worst prospects in five years"

Oh wait....the same thing happened 5 years ago? Never mind.
violent crime in NYC is from the same period last year at least in homicides

Paper in Fort Lauderdale also ran a story about crime being up there.

Research, it never hurt anyone

Generally speaking when economy goes south, crime generally increases

Old 06-09-2008, 06:11 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
News at 11, home robberies sky rocket.
The teens that are seeking employment are not the same ones robbing you in most cases. Criminals are criminals- through good times and bad times.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The teens that are seeking employment are not the same ones robbing you in most cases. Criminals are criminals- through good times and bad times.
Don't agree with that at all. Example, in Nashville about 2/3 years ago, there was a woman who was arrested for prostitution. For whatever reasons she was on the news out there. Reporter asks her what happened. She tells her story of how she was a waitress previously, husband was doing some sort of work. Both lost their jobs, both on verge of losing their home. Their last resort was her selling herself. If things get bad enough, I don't care you who you are, you will do things you may not have thought you would in order to survive.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:33 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Don't agree with that at all. Example, in Nashville about 2/3 years ago, there was a woman who was arrested for prostitution. For whatever reasons she was on the news out there. Reporter asks her what happened. She tells her story of how she was a waitress previously, husband was doing some sort of work. Both lost their jobs, both on verge of losing their home. Their last resort was her selling herself. If things get bad enough, I don't care you who you are, you will do things you may not have thought you would in order to survive.
I agree that, if people get desparate enough they are capable of most anything but I don't consider prostitution to be a "crime". The question is not one of where the teen will be starving if he or she does not have a job. He may not be able to have a cell phone or buy an IPod or a pair of Nike shoes but most rational teens are not going to go out and enter crime because McDonald's didn't hire them. Now, if the teen was in danger of hunger then I could see the point.
That said, I am for giving teens a job and we really need to ramp up the government program that they had when I was in school to give teens a summer job for about min wage cleaning up the schools for next year and keeping up the parks and pools. While I had my own job at a car wash, I had friends that were in the program.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:44 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,176 times
If the teens have the same grasp of English that is shown in the headine, perhaps they should be spending time in summer school instead of working.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
If the teens have the same grasp of English that is shown in the headine, perhaps they should be spending time in summer school instead of working.
You meant *headline* right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I agree that, if people get desparate enough they are capable of most anything but I don't consider prostitution to be a "crime". The question is not one of where the teen will be starving if he or she does not have a job. He may not be able to have a cell phone or buy an IPod or a pair of Nike shoes but most rational teens are not going to go out and enter crime because McDonald's didn't hire them. Now, if the teen was in danger of hunger then I could see the point.
That said, I am for giving teens a job and we really need to ramp up the government program that they had when I was in school to give teens a summer job for about min wage cleaning up the schools for next year and keeping up the parks and pools. While I had my own job at a car wash, I had friends that were in the program.
prostitution not a crime? Interesting.

Your post deals with a lot of assumptions. I was a teacher for a few years and I worked at a teen homeless shelter. I assure you, a LOT of teens that are seeking employment are not doing so just so they can buy a ipod or the latest PS3 video game. A lot of these kids have family/household issues on the socio/economical level that requires them to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics