U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:38 PM

6,296 posts, read 9,084,844 times

Advertisements

public transport is fantastic in most European cities. For instance in Berlin you pay Euro 2.20 for a ticket that is valid for 2 hrs. Buying a monthly pass is even cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 PM

6,296 posts, read 9,084,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Many places that do have mass transit has a system so horribly put together it serves little purpose.
Case in point Los Angeles. The public transport here is very difficult to use and extremely inconvenient, not to mention very expensive as well. No wonder the majority do not use it. If I wanted to go from Orange County to downtown Los Angeles there are like 5 trains a day using the Metrolink. Compare that to any European city where there is usually a train every 5 minutes.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:28 PM

26,661 posts, read 40,602,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The thread is about gasoline cost in Europe Vs. US, not about drilling, Congress and Bush. But I will play. You said the Netherlands drill for oil. You also said they pay $11 a gallon. If drilling for oil is supposed to increase production and reduce prices (as claimed by oil cartels), then shouldn't gas cost less than $11 a gallon there? More drilling means more money for oil companies, not more saving to the consumers is the argument put forth by some member of Congress and Presidential candidate Obama. Looking at your example of the Netherlands, they might be onto something.
I have nothing to do with oil companies and are mad that we have to pay so much for gas because I rather spend the money on other stuff. In Europe most profits go to the government since we pay so much taxes for all kind of things. You pay 19% when you buy a car, for driving on the road you pay for the weight of the car (yearly or quarterly), 19% on gas, 0.25 per liter on top of the 19% to the government, etc...so most earnings go to the governement to pay for health insurance for everybody although you have to pay extra each month for the mandatory health insurance.....
So I don't agree that the oil companies are making more and more...since it cost a lot to drill, etc...but not that I want to defend them so much...they could do with less as well as the government can do with less.

You get 20 liters of gas x 0.25 = 5.00 + 19% per liter....isn't that called taken adventage of the people!!!

By the way we were just looking to buy a train ticket from the South of The Netherlands to Germany...a 2 hour train trip, cost Euro 102.00
And than they call it that Europe is united.....

Old 06-26-2008, 02:32 PM

13,016 posts, read 19,215,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
There are all these misleading stories about how we should feel lucky that we are only paying $4.50 a gallon for gasoline because the people in many European Countries are paying $8.00 a gallon. Well that is not really true. Sure, adjusted to the American Dollar they are paying $8.00 a gallon but because their currency is worth 50% more than it was 8 years ago, in their money gasoline has not risen as much as ours on a percentage basis.

Also, the typical European spends less of his income on gasoline because they drive less and have cars that get 40 MPG. The percentage of their income spent on gasoline is far less in Europe for the typical middle class worker than in America.
Hey Genius, instead of playing games with the title ("Europeans spend less for gas") that conflicts with your own admitted conclusions (Europeans pay $8 a gallon for gas). Why don't you title the thread correctly - European's DRIVE LESS. Then we can have a real discussion.

Hey - title for your next thread - Blind People Spend Less for Gas.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:47 PM

19,084 posts, read 20,646,638 times
If the Europeans are spending less on gasoline then why are they complaining in the media? Weird... oh well, less gas for them means more gas for ME! Yeah, its a win-win situation...

Old 06-26-2008, 04:02 PM

I think Genius also missed the news about the recent gas protests in Europe over rising fuel costs.

High Fuel Prices Lead to Protests in Europe

Truck drivers in Spain and Portugal blocked roads Monday to protest soaring global fuel prices,

Online NewsHour: Update | High Fuel Prices Lead to Protests in Europe | June 9, 2008 | PBS

Old 06-26-2008, 04:07 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,113,030 times
Wanting to spend the money on other things is common. I have alot of things I would rather spend money on than necessities. But then that is life. We have been fortunate to have had gas so cheap for so many years is the way I look at it. The rpoblem is we have become addicted over that time.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:09 PM

Yeah Europeans aren't worried about gas prices:

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- About 400 protesting fishermen from France, Italy, Spain and Portugal blocked the main boulevard through Brussels' European Union quarter on Wednesday to demand the EU do more to ease high fuel prices.

Fishermen fuel protest blocks EU base - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/06/04/protests.fuel.ap/index.html - broken link)

edit: I like the last paragrah of this news article, gave me a laugh. Essentially the Country of France surrendered to angry fishermen. That's France for you.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:25 PM

605 posts, read 2,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Hey Genius, instead of playing games with the title ("Europeans spend less for gas") that conflicts with your own admitted conclusions (Europeans pay $8 a gallon for gas). Why don't you title the thread correctly - European's DRIVE LESS. Then we can have a real discussion.

Hey - title for your next thread - Blind People Spend Less for Gas.
No, if you titled the thread correctly it would be Europeans Drive Less.

Yours pedantically...

Old 06-26-2008, 04:27 PM

605 posts, read 2,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
By the way we were just looking to buy a train ticket from the South of The Netherlands to Germany...a 2 hour train trip, cost Euro 102.00
And than they call it that Europe is united.....
That sounds like a full-price walk-up fare, something that would cost you more on Amtrak too. Much cheaper fares are available for those who book a little in advance. This helps regulate demand and avoid some instances of overcrowding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics