U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:32 AM

2,197 posts, read 6,814,842 times

Advertisements

I think they'll raise this fall, as Bernanke has been hinting. Consumer confidence is so low right now and they didn't want it to plummet more. Main Street America doesn't recognize the positive aspects of raising rates. Their perception is negative and the response would be panic, so I think the Fed is trying to hold off on that. Plus, the Dow is bouncing off the low and raising rates would create a lower low, telegraphing a bear market. So more panic all around. The Fed just bought a little time before submitting to the inevitable. I doubt Ben's finger is going to hold the dyke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 06:49 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,397,549 times
Most Americans, including Mr. Obama have no idea about the value of the dollar, why its a problem, and why it should be fixed. Expect to see the Euro near $1.70 or higher if the housing bailout bill passes. Also expect an immediate oil rally adding another $20-30 to the price.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:10 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,805,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
I think we (US) shot ourselves in the foot on gaining the confidence of investors... ( Enron, Worldcom, sub-prime, and now LOW returns + huge 'spread' making banks lots of dough).

Ben has his hands full, not sure there is a silver bullet, or maybe us 'retiree's (fixed income) will take the hit. I wonder what the US has as a 'value' to get our trade deficit improving. Foreign Direct Investment may come back if China government messes up, but... They are playing a pretty straight game at the moment, the Olympics offer them a great 'promotional' if they get it right. Maybe we need to upset our own apple cart and have some other countries come 'help-us-out'. I'm afraid its going to take a crisis of some type.
That the problem. We have lost the confidence in investor. Now Bernake is going to have to take some tough measures to save the dollar. I don't think he will raise interest rates quickly, but I see hikes coming by October. Now in the short term this will pain for most of us. But over the long view It will help keep inflation down and strengthen the dollar to where investor will hopefully find confidence in the U.S. again.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:39 AM

8,904 posts, read 7,881,837 times
He's hoping low interest rates will force investors into buying mortgage debt and bail out the banks. The problem is that the US is broke. WS has to look overseas for financing. The foreign investors have more options on where they can invest for fixed-income now that rates are rising elsewhere.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:35 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,260,387 times
So you think Ben will shut down the helicopter and tighten the money creation? I think the FED wants to inflate our money away.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:40 PM

19,083 posts, read 20,656,240 times
I wonder how much big business is paying the Fed to keep rates low... thats a better question..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or