U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:05 AM

3,698 posts, read 10,386,932 times

Advertisements

Best Buy and Circuit City are best seen as showrooms for Newegg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 02:15 PM

26,661 posts, read 40,594,954 times
It seems that it all depends how the manager runs the store. One store has better service than others. I hade the same experience with Hoem Depot, the one close to where I live has very good service and another one I had to go to since what I needed was only available there, the service was awful and I couldn't find anything. When I had to travel to another State and went to a Home Depot, the experience was very good and the store was just like I was in the store nearby my home...

I hate it when you have to call the 1800 numbers for these stores and get a call center in India and have a hard time understanding which language they are speaking and to ask over and over to speak more clear since their English is with such an accent that I can't make much of it.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:11 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,101,401 times
As people get more serious about reducing crdit debt and buying the necessities of lfe store chains like CC will have a problem But that is the free market.happens all the time.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:12 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,813,204 times
There are too many big box electronic stores. It's survival of the fittest, and CC will probably not come out on top.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:18 PM

15,085 posts, read 18,054,266 times
I experienced poor customer service every time I went into a Circuit City. I don't patronize that chain. I don't want them to wait on me hand and foot but at the same time they should be available to answer questions and lead me to the correct location when I'm looking for a product. Best Buy always seemed better in that regard.

Bye Circuit City...

Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,392,384 times
Newegg first killed the mom and pop computer retailer, then CompUSA and now its on to Circuit City. Sort of sad because while I do like Newegg, sometimes I want something now and don't want to wait 3-5 days for it. Unless you are lucky enough to have a Fry's, CompUSA was the only place to get higher end PC gear as well as certain gadgets that nobody else sold. It was hit and miss with the mom and pop guys and their prices were outrageous (which is why most of them folded in the early to mid '00s) I think Best Buy will always be around simply because its the Wal-Mart of electronics.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:54 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,879,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm a former Circuit City employee. After that 3000 person layoff last year and the way they did it, they deserve whatever they have coming to them.
I agree. The way they treated their senior employees like dirt was a big turn off. I will never buy anything there again.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:55 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,879,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Newegg first killed the mom and pop computer retailer, then CompUSA and now its on to Circuit City. Sort of sad because while I do like Newegg, sometimes I want something now and don't want to wait 3-5 days for it. Unless you are lucky enough to have a Fry's, CompUSA was the only place to get higher end PC gear as well as certain gadgets that nobody else sold. It was hit and miss with the mom and pop guys and their prices were outrageous (which is why most of them folded in the early to mid '00s) I think Best Buy will always be around simply because its the Wal-Mart of electronics.
Fryes is the Wal*Mart of eletronics. Actually Wal*Mart is becoming the Wal*Mart of electronics!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:15 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,392,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Fryes is the Wal*Mart of eletronics. Actually Wal*Mart is becoming the Wal*Mart of electronics!
Na, I would say Best Buy is. Fry's only covers the major cities. Best Buy is in any town thats decent size. I would LOVE to have a Fry's in Little Rock, AR, but this town is just a dot on the map to them. As for Wal-Mart, they get all of their electronics manufactured specially for them to be cheaper. Its far inferior to any other store, electronics are one thing I will NEVER buy from Wal-Mart.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:20 PM

655 posts, read 756,960 times
I am predicting the demise of about 50% of all box stores nationwide. And the demise of about 70% of the fly by night, franchises due to the current economic outlook. I would not park 1 red cent into anything retail or retail related for many, many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or