U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:57 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,403,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
I am predicting the demise of about 50% of all box stores nationwide. And the demise of about 70% of the fly by night, franchises due to the current economic outlook. I would not park 1 red cent into anything retail or retail related for many, many years.
Have anything to back that up? To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me, but still those figures seem too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 12:51 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,291,930 times
It seems like alot of retail business models are deeply flawed. Flawed from the start.

The demand for tv's, electronics, phones, games, etc doesn't change all that much year to year. And incomes don't change much year to year (up or down by a few percent). Yet so many retailers seem to flame out and go bust so quickly. How many are healthy for 3-5-10 years, through different cycles?

I wouldn't be suprised if a 1/3 of big box retail goes bust in the next 3-5-7 years. We're way over retailed. They're too similar to stay in business.

-Pretty much the same selection

-Same ads in the paper

-Same discounts

-Same customer service

Remember Circuit City's slogan..."come to Circuit City, where service is state of the art?" How often was service state of the art there?

Walmart has an near unbreakable position on prices. And best buy has the name factor and selection. To compete in the middle, someone has to innovate (the way best buy did). To compete on price, service, guarantees, when none of them are that great, you're going to flame out.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:00 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,901,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Have anything to back that up? To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me, but still those figures seem too high.
I think quite a few of them will die off. There are just too many of them. They are WAY overbuilt. Here where I live we have a Home Depot 5.2 miles to the south and another Home Depot and a Lowes (across the street from each other) 6 miles to the west. And now Home Depot opened a store a few blocks away! Same thing with Wal*Mart. I just do not think that there is enough business to support that many stores. Seems to me that Target has a better model- they are about 11 miles apart.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:45 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,855,022 times
I just buy from whoever sells me the product I want for cheapest.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:27 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,240,481 times
CC is a bad place to shop , and , not just of late. The service is the worst, from the floor clerks , on down to the customer service...it SUCKS !

Old 06-30-2008, 03:42 AM

655 posts, read 758,004 times
So many of these types of stores are about to go belly up, you would not even believe it. We are heading into uncharted territory folks, best get prepared or you're gonna get slapped silly.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:37 AM

5,654 posts, read 17,621,889 times
"I decided never to buy a thing there after that employee deal that CC did."

Yep, here also. As far as I am concerned, they deserve what's coming to them. That said, other corporations will do the same thing when they can get away with it. They just don't get the press that cc did about this layoffs.

All corps are the same. Greedy and bowing to the almightly "stock flipper". Sickens me.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:07 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,757,208 times
i hope they can't. i hope that maybe the small guy can get a shot a doing a little business for a change with competing with govt, fed, wallstreet, bank bailouts!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:16 PM

740 posts, read 1,869,783 times
Are these the only reasons for CC's shares plummeting so badly? I'd think it had to be something Earth-shattering like scandal, loss of consumer confidence overall, corruption, massive layoffs, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
No matter which store I've been in, they seem to be staffed by arrogant and lazy young men who make it obvious they'd rather be gathered around the store's Guitar Hero or Rock Band display game.
That was also my experience at Best Buy. In fact, the salesperson are more inclined to help you if you're an attractive girl. Don't bother getting your computer fixed at Best Buy. The queue - just to check it in - is at least three hours. You'll get better service looking one up from the Yellow Pages.

That aside, they do have good products in stock. I have patronized them in the past. It does come down to which stores offer the best deal.

Last edited by phoenix_talons; 10-20-2008 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 03:40 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,816,848 times
I'm just waiting for the government bailout. Or maybe they'll send us all CC and GM gift cards, instead of another stimulus check. At least it would get spent instead of earning .20% in a bank savings account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or