U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:54 AM

55,137 posts, read 43,954,649 times

Advertisements

Wow, its amazing how many people are just pulling stuff out of nowhere with crazy predictions.

Ok, my turn....don't ask for any logical support for any of this, I'm just trying to fit in.

-Gas will be $30 a gallon by September
-Food will be 100x more expensive, leading to a surge in cannibalism in lower income neighborhoods.
-We will use nuclear wheapons on Canada to remove the red maple leaf menace.
-Unemployment will be 103%
-The US dollar will only be worth 50% of a US dollar at the same point in time.
-Anyone over the age of 50 will be converted to soylent senior chow to create Social Security surpluses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 08:55 AM

16,434 posts, read 19,667,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
I totally agree, but what I don't understand is WHY. Who stands to gain by the loss of the middleclass and the U.S. becoming a third world country? I have wondered about this for a long time and I hope someone can enlighten me.
The people who make the presidents and kings have moved their money to China and India. They intend that their investments succeed. They don't care in the least what happens to us.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,006,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wow, its amazing how many people are just pulling stuff out of nowhere with crazy predictions.

Ok, my turn....don't ask for any logical support for any of this, I'm just trying to fit in.

-Gas will be $30 a gallon by September
-Food will be 100x more expensive, leading to a surge in cannibalism in lower income neighborhoods.
-We will use nuclear wheapons on Canada to remove the red maple leaf menace.
-Unemployment will be 103%
-The US dollar will only be worth 50% of a US dollar at the same point in time.
-Anyone over the age of 50 will be converted to soylent senior chow to create Social Security surpluses.
Man, those evil Canadians! Blame Canada! Blame Canada!

"Times have changed Our kids are getting worse. They won't obey their parents. They just want to fart and curse! Sould we blame the government? Or blame society? Or should we blame the images on TV?
NO, blame Canada! Blame Canada! With all their beady little eyes
And flapping heads so full of lies, Blame Canada! Blame Canada! ...."

-chuck22b

Old 07-01-2008, 10:21 AM

4,711 posts, read 11,179,453 times
Quote:
The US government is not run by one person (oh that pesky congress and senate) and the main difference between democrats and republicans is in what they say. What they actually do renders them much much closer than most people realize.

Yeah, but the prez gas that pesky veto pen.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:32 AM

41,478 posts, read 52,823,640 times
The real beneficiaries of our entitlements are the energy companies and the military profiteers. Blackwater takes more money than the poor this country.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 AM

917 posts, read 2,124,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The people who make the presidents and kings have moved their money to China and India. They intend that their investments succeed. They don't care in the least what happens to us.
Who are these people? What are their names? I'm not trying to be a pain, I really do want to know. I've watched the middle class get smaller and smaller for a long time and I don't understand how it benifits anyone. It's obvious it is being done on purpose but I would at least like to understand why.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,807,967 times
Default **** tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Man, those evil Canadians! Blame Canada! Blame Canada!

"Times have changed Our kids are getting worse. They won't obey their parents. They just want to fart and curse! Sould we blame the government? Or blame society? Or should we blame the images on TV?
NO, blame Canada! Blame Canada! With all their beady little eyes
And flapping heads so full of lies, Blame Canada! Blame Canada! ...."

-chuck22b

YEAH! Let's attack Canada! And our justification??????????????? Well.......to steal an idea from "Full Metal Jacket" Let's do it for the Poontang!

http://www.ugo.com/filmtv/top11-classicrock/images/fullmetaljacket.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by baystater; 07-01-2008 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-01-2008, 01:22 PM

55,137 posts, read 43,954,649 times
Quote:
Who are these people? What are their names? I'm not trying to be a pain, I really do want to know. I've watched the middle class get smaller and smaller for a long time and I don't understand how it benifits anyone. It's obvious it is being done on purpose but I would at least like to understand why.
Basically, the 30 year period or so in the United States where you could earn good wages with little education or training are gone in the face of global competition. Middle classes are growing in China and other parts of the world but even there "middle class" is not to the standard of living that even our "lower income" have in the US.

Done on purpose or a return to normal levels?

Get an education or valued training and there are still great opportunities in the US but the days of showing up at the factory fresh out of highschool and living solidly middle class are gone.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:01 PM

917 posts, read 2,124,476 times
Quote:
Basically, the 30 year period or so in the United States where you could earn good wages with little education or training are gone in the face of global competition. Middle classes are growing in China and other parts of the world but even there "middle class" is not to the standard of living that even our "lower income" have in the US.

Done on purpose or a return to normal levels?

Get an education or valued training and there are still great opportunities in the US but the days of showing up at the factory fresh out of highschool and living solidly middle class are gone.
So I guess we are going to a two class system...Investor class and working class.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:41 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,179,453 times
Quote:
So I guess we are going to a two class system...Investor class and working class.

I don't understand it either, Ann. Seems to me that the destruction of the middle class is bad for business....ie. who's going to buy "the stuff"?

Henry Ford knew this. In 1908, he raised his workers' pay to an unheard of $5.00 a day. Why? He wanted his workers to be able to buy a new Ford too.

So, I ask again, if a vast portion of the population makes only enough to cover basic survival needs.....who is going to buy the stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics