U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Oil trading: cheap energy, retirement, renting an apartment, real estate, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 03:04 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,267,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
I made myself a promise that if oil hit $150 and above and stayed there, I was going to take $5000 of my savings and setup my own ethanol production system. If you have a 1/4 acre of property or more, it can be easily done. Produce your own fuel for about 15 cents per gallon. Once you are setup and running, it is really an easy process that anyone with a little grit and backbone can do. Screw the frrighhen oil companies and all this BS. I'll just produce my onw damn fuel and so should all those who can. Call their bluff on this run on oil.
Forget that, I am thinking that if I stay I will convert my roof to a salt-water algae farm! I calculate being able to produce 500 gallons of bio-diesel per year. With a Dodge diesel full-sized pickup I would easily be able to stay mobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 06:18 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,957,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Actually did not see that much scary in this particular article -- even the "bad" list looked like a lot of good things. Shorter commutes = generally less time for the folks involved + much cleaner air for the rest of US. What is not to love?

However, this article did "soft-sell" some of the possible downside risk. For the full "scary" version >>>

Peak Oil: Life After the Oil Crash (http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/ - broken link)

That iis sort of a combination of all worse case put together, and it is not purdy. They even call their forum "doomers" Life After the Oil Crash Forum - Index

Okay, I believe that oil is drying up, yes, but that website is PRETTY DAMN OUT-THERE in allot of it's claims...not to mention the adds on the left side of the screen for bomb-shelter rations and "how to live in the woods" books...personally, any website that some Aryan Nation Survivalist has book-marked is what I would NOT consider to be a reliable source of information.

Ohh, and the site does not mention biodesel from algae is essentially fool-proof...if five percent of the state of New mexico was converted to verticle algae-farming, it make enough biodesel to fuel the entire US.

They claim that using biodesel causes the cost of a commodity to go higher causing the world to starve. Well, yes, ethenol from corn caused corn to go up in price, and corn is used for fuel. Melting coal into oil caused the price of coal to go up, and coal is used for power-plants. So, making biodesel from algae will cause the price of algae to go up, and algae is used for...for...for....

I don't think the end of the world is at hand, but rather, the end of our wasteful ways will be forced on us in the US and elsewhere.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:39 PM

655 posts, read 758,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Okay, I believe that oil is drying up, yes, but that website is PRETTY DAMN OUT-THERE in allot of it's claims...not to mention the adds on the left side of the screen for bomb-shelter rations and "how to live in the woods" books...personally, any website that some Aryan Nation Survivalist has book-marked is what I would NOT consider to be a reliable source of information.

Ohh, and the site does not mention biodesel from algae is essentially fool-proof...if five percent of the state of New mexico was converted to verticle algae-farming, it make enough biodesel to fuel the entire US.

They claim that using biodesel causes the cost of a commodity to go higher causing the world to starve. Well, yes, ethenol from corn caused corn to go up in price, and corn is used for fuel. Melting coal into oil caused the price of coal to go up, and coal is used for power-plants. So, making biodesel from algae will cause the price of algae to go up, and algae is used for...for...for....

I don't think the end of the world is at hand, but rather, the end of our wasteful ways will be forced on us in the US and elsewhere.
Great post, I agree with all but one part. "Oil is drying up." There is more known and untapped oil in the world right now, then ever before. Most of it is off limits for various reasons. Under LA, there is estimated to be 11 billion, barrels. Throughout Alaska 120 billion, South Dakota, 100 billion, Off shore within 80 miles of US coast, in total, 600 billion. Shale extractable oil, over a trillion barrels. And this is just in the US. Oil is freakin everywhere. Just the tree huggers are preventing extraction in some areas, in others it is not yet cost affective and technology is needed to extract it in some places.

That being said, I think the real reason for this, is the lead governments of the world are realizing global warming is 100% real and fossil fuel bunring has to stop and stop now. Oil to $200a barrel and up will get it done and get it done in a few decades. Just my thoughts on it.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:06 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,403,590 times
Quote:
That being said, I think the real reason for this, is the lead governments of the world are realizing global warming is 100% real and fossil fuel bunring has to stop and stop now. Oil to $200a barrel and up will get it done and get it done in a few decades. Just my thoughts on it.
Of course tree huggers would like us to go back to living in caves. $200 oil isn't going to stop global warming. Its going to destroy the middle class and collapse the economy of the United States.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:44 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,766,746 times
Quote:
Great post, I agree with all but one part. "Oil is drying up." There is more known and untapped oil in the world right now, then ever before. Most of it is off limits for various reasons. Under LA, there is estimated to be 11 billion, barrels. Throughout Alaska 120 billion, South Dakota, 100 billion, Off shore within 80 miles of US coast, in total, 600 billion. Shale extractable oil, over a trillion barrels. And this is just in the US. Oil is freakin everywhere. Just the tree huggers are preventing extraction in some areas, in others it is not yet cost affective and technology is needed to extract it in some places.

impossible. Gas does not recreate itself, it is exhaustable. With that said, doesn't matter how much is in the ground. If it cost more to get it otu of the ground and refine it (which is the case now) then we are going to pay more.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:15 AM

5,090 posts, read 10,044,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Of course, they hit every bad possible outcome and added them all together into one this-is-what-is-going-to-happen . . . However, they are excellent Worst Case modelers, and that is how I view their efforts. Dunno about the Aryan Nations ref, but I did notice that the Library of Congress does have books by them and every other nut job, but still seems to contain some valid information.

and on the other hand . . . .

Quote:
And this site tends to run a lot of Best Case modelers.

Quote:

sort of fond of algae myself, and am trying to encourage coal customers to give that a try on CO2 capture.

Quote:
[/quote]

Sure enough and that is a Changed Case scenario. Of the three Scenarios -- (Worst, Best and Changed) -- Changed Case is generally the most likely.

In too simple of terms, the application is: Be prepared for the Worst Case, Be able to maximize and profit from the Best Case, and be adaptable and flexible to go with the Changed Case.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:30 AM

8,632 posts, read 14,240,481 times
Default Comander and Cheif

Well folks , heard the latest news this morning ? Bush is in the process of bombing Iran , for real !....... Oil will be 300.00 quick if this happens , like Cheney and Lieberman want.. Iran will close the straights ........World war III , is just around the corner.......Gold will be 2500.00...to the Moon !!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 AM

3,283 posts, read 4,757,208 times
Quote:
I made myself a promise that if oil hit $150 and above and stayed there, I was going to take $5000 of my savings and setup my own ethanol production system. If you have a 1/4 acre of property or more, it can be easily done. Produce your own fuel for about 15 cents per gallon. Once you are setup and running, it is really an easy process that anyone with a little grit and backbone can do. Screw the frrighhen oil companies and all this BS. I'll just produce my onw damn fuel and so should all those who can. Call their bluff on this run on oil.

kind of curious about your post. anymore details?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 AM

21,000 posts, read 21,103,742 times
" heard the latest news this morning ? Bush is in the process of bombing Iran , for real !......."

Huh? Where you getting your latest breaking news?
And here I am listening to weather.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:35 AM

3,283 posts, read 4,757,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Forget that, I am thinking that if I stay I will convert my roof to a salt-water algae farm! I calculate being able to produce 500 gallons of bio-diesel per year. With a Dodge diesel full-sized pickup I would easily be able to stay mobile.

tallrick now i am really curious! please can you supply the "how too". if you don't have the practical, proven method of cultivating and refining into oil then please supply your dealers number instead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or