U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 AM

1,638 posts, read 5,028,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont recall YOU, calling a 60 year old home a "McMansion", so your sarcasm adds nothing to the thread.
No - my sarcasm centers around YOU - telling us that WE are envious of your class. Didn't realize we had queen elizabeth living in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:55 AM

5,090 posts, read 10,049,893 times
What are you all capping on pghquest, about?

Didn't pghquest pick this up beasty up from some foreclosure auction or short sale or something?

(sorry if I do not have that correct -- seems like I recall that from the real estate section).

Helped buy a 250,000 million square foot hospital with 17 acres on REO auction on time, just for fun. We got it for $40,000.

Not like pghquest laid plans to build the Taj Mahal on the kids' welfare school lunch money or something.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:13 PM

3,698 posts, read 10,397,896 times
pghguest is right, in my opinion. A large home in itself isn't a McMansion - that term implies a sort of ostentatiousness of design combined with cheap, modern construction that emphasizes return on profit over quality of workmanship.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:57 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,249,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
pghguest is right, in my opinion. A large home in itself isn't a McMansion - that term implies a sort of ostentatiousness of design combined with cheap, modern construction that emphasizes return on profit over quality of workmanship.
Your words " Modern Construction" should not be used , as , you statement could imply that anything modern is cheap , or sub standard , not so.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:56 PM

22,719 posts, read 28,394,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
What is or isn't a "mansion" is vague. I don't consider a bunch of cheaply made wood frame houses Mansions. But maybe that is just me. The homes in the picture just look like bigger versions of the McMansions they've been building all over Southern California.
Now you're just being silly.

What I posted were true, authentic mansions. Many (if not all) custom built.
Monteria Estates

(Photos reprinted with permission.)

Old 07-03-2008, 05:06 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,560,378 times
Quote:
Thats the way most all home are made today.
I'm talking about Mansions so how they build a standard home is not the point. Most real Mansions even in California aren't just big version of McMansions.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's possible to build a large house these days that wouldn't be immediately labeled as one.
There is a pretty clear difference I think. Real Mansions are usually custom built/designed homes (and really custom, not pick your tile custom). The more popular architecture you get to design the home the better. McMansions on the other hand are track homes that mimic some of the features of real Mansions. Usually in McMansion communities most of the homes will be in the 2500~4000 sf range and rather close together, but they do put some larger McMansions on bigger lots that don't work well for the former sort. At least this is what they tend to do in California.

Quote:
What I posted were true, authentic mansions. Many (if not all) custom built.
Again clearly we have a different notion of what a Mansion is. I don't think the home pictured is a McMansion though. The other ones seemed to be though.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Gas prices will be high when I sell my home.
Can I have your crystal ball?

Quote:
Anyone who calls 60 year old homes "McMansions" simply because its large does so because they are uneducated about what "McMansions" terminology means.
I don't recall anybody making this claim on this thread. Big house /= McMansion.

"Big house" isn't a class issue. A rather middle class family could afford a huge house on a big lot in many areas of the country, where as in others not even afford a 1000 sf house. As far as class goes its the location of the house that matters not the size.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:39 PM

22,719 posts, read 28,394,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
There is a pretty clear difference I think. Real Mansions are usually custom built/designed homes (and really custom, not pick your tile custom). The more popular architecture you get to design the home the better. McMansions on the other hand are track homes that mimic some of the features of real Mansions. Usually in McMansion communities most of the homes will be in the 2500~4000 sf range and rather close together, but they do put some larger McMansions on bigger lots that don't work well for the former sort. At least this is what they tend to do in California.
My house is 2618 sf. Wow... I live in a McMansion!

Quote:
Again clearly we have a different notion of what a Mansion is. I don't think the home pictured is a McMansion though. The other ones seemed to be though
You said above that real mansions are custom built/designed homes. That is exactly how the homes in the photos were built.
From what I've read, McMansion are large homes built on a small lot. The homes in the photos I posted are large homes built on a large lot.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:43 PM

654 posts, read 3,161,554 times
While the home talk is nice we are getting way off topic here.

A good friend of mine has a Jeep Grand Cherokee that she enjoys driving and I asked her once on how the gas prices was affecting her. She did mention that next time she does car shopping she will try to look into something that is fuel efficient but she does love driving her Jeep, because it fits her. Of course though she carries alot of her work stuff and alot of equipment for the chorus she's in, so she makes good use of her Jeep space-wise. Plus she also uses her Jeep to carpool some of the chorus members to rehearsals so for those purposes, she doesn't feel trapped at all.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
My house is 2618 sf. Wow... I live in a McMansion!
If you live in Porter Ranch then yes, most likely you do. Not all 2600 sf homes are McMansions though. But if you like it thats all that matters, I was imply pointing out that Porter Ranch is not LA. There is nothing urban about Porter Ranch (Does public transportation even go up there??)

Quote:
That is exactly how the homes in the photos were built.
From my understanding of that area, no are only semi-custom. Custom built/designed = buying the land, hiring an architecture, etc etc. Where as these sorts of homes are built by developers and are custom only in a cosmetic way (Although they give you far more choices than you would buying a new track home).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or