U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 12:51 AM

22,692 posts, read 28,332,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
If you live in Porter Ranch then yes, most likely you do. Not all 2600 sf homes are McMansions though. But if you like it thats all that matters, I was imply pointing out that Porter Ranch is not LA. There is nothing urban about Porter Ranch (Does public transportation even go up there??))
I was just kidding... my house is nowhere near being a McMansion. It is just a regular two-story, 4 bedroom/3 bathroom house.

And, yes, there is public transportation... the RTD bus goes through the area.

Quote:
From my understanding of that area, no are only semi-custom. Custom built/designed = buying the land, hiring an architecture, etc etc. Where as these sorts of homes are built by developers and are custom only in a cosmetic way (Although they give you far more choices than you would buying a new track home.
Just accept it already. What I posted are 100%, bonified mansions.
The one with the interior photos was custom-built in 1981 for $250,000. How do I know? Because the owner used to live on my street. The land was bought, an architect was hired and the mansion was built.

The mansions there are similar to the ones in Hidden Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 01:19 AM

1,075 posts, read 3,287,502 times
It's the american way, they see a cash cow and there going to go after it, if bikes get extreemly popular watch those raise in price, the way i see it i am going to drive what ever i choose and works best for me, as far as gas comsumption i'm paying for the gas and my use will in no way affect the market.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:31 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,673,282 times
True story:

One of the neighbors has a 2006 Ford Expedition in nice shape & only 28,000 miles. They tried to trade it in on a new CR-V & the Honda dealership offered them $5,000 for the Expedition. Ouch!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:55 AM

69,360 posts, read 57,045,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
What are you all capping on pghquest, about?

Didn't pghquest pick this up beasty up from some foreclosure auction or short sale or something?

(sorry if I do not have that correct -- seems like I recall that from the real estate section).

Helped buy a 250,000 million square foot hospital with 17 acres on REO auction on time, just for fun. We got it for $40,000.

Not like pghquest laid plans to build the Taj Mahal on the kids' welfare school lunch money or something.
yep, bank repo, bought at a 40% discount because the previous owner couldnt afford the bills. Its not my fault the previous owner added on an addition he couldnt afford to heat, and then decided that instead of installing an efficient heating system, he yet decided to add a 3rd furnace.

The neighbors are sure glad I picked up the property, it sat vacant for nearly 2 years.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:57 AM

69,360 posts, read 57,045,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Your words " Modern Construction" should not be used , as , you statement could imply that anything modern is cheap , or sub standard , not so.
yes but this thread proves that many dont care about the difference between cheap and value, and that many people assume that all big homes are mcmansions, and use up gas, and the owners alone are to blame for the high price of gas for the rest.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:38 AM

8,632 posts, read 14,224,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yes but this thread proves that many dont care about the difference between cheap and value, and that many people assume that all big homes are mcmansions, and use up gas, and the owners alone are to blame for the high price of gas for the rest.
If they build em , they will come. Most homes we are talking about were built by developers. The average person , looking for a home , only thinks about space. The more sq. foot , the more they think they got a "deal". many of these homes are built to look like they are bigger than they actually are, with steep mansard roofs , and "bonus rooms". All about marketing, more is better, that has to change, and it will , when more and more folks start to see what the heating and cooling cost are. Also , a lot of developers are stuck with some of these McMansions .Its all about marketing , more is , or has been , easer to sell. Same for cars as well. What people need , ...and what people want ,.are two different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or