U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 02:17 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,556,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The big trucks are not getting smaller , only larger, to haul more stuff........
"big trucks" are selling like crap right now, so its really unlikely they are gong to make bigger ones. They started this "big trunk" thing back when gas was 99 cents a gallon (remember that??) slowly prices increased until the last 2 years they've increased dramatically.

Quote:
and , save on number of trips
Save on the number of trips for what exactly? Do you typical buy trunk loads of crap when you go out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 03:10 AM

655 posts, read 757,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Bikes are a healthy way to get around, as long as your city is set up to handle it. Many are not, with the lack of bikeways that will get you where you need to be.
Here in Michigan , there quite a few bike friendly places. I live in Marquette , a city with a plan. We have more bike paths than any other place in the country, and ,in the winter you can cross country ski.
I was talking about motorcycles, not bicycles. Sorry for the confusion. I crashed on a motorcycle doing 70 mph 20 years ago. Never been on one since and doubt I will again. You crash on a motorcycle and you immediately realize your basically ****** no way around it.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:13 AM

8,632 posts, read 14,237,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
I was talking about motorcycles, not bicycles. Sorry for the confusion. I crashed on a motorcycle doing 70 mph 20 years ago. Never been on one since and doubt I will again. You crash on a motorcycle and you immediately realize your basically ****** no way around it.
Sorry about that , so many bicycles around here , everywhere you look , so I thought thats what you meant........ I always thought a road trip across country would be fun , and , I would want to do it on a vintage bike. An Indian chief from the 40s , would be just fine. Only machine I ever had was a 125 Harley , and , I was 14 , a long time ago , in a land far far away....

Old 06-30-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
"big trucks" are selling like crap right now, so its really unlikely they are gong to make bigger ones. They started this "big trunk" thing back when gas was 99 cents a gallon (remember that??) slowly prices increased until the last 2 years they've increased dramatically.

Save on the number of trips for what exactly? Do you typical buy trunk loads of crap when you go out?
Hello !! By BIG TRUCK , I mean commercial , what are you talking about ?
Note; Ever pull up along side an 18 wheeler in a motorbike , at a stop sign, now you know what I mean. He would never even know that his trailer flattened you like a bug , making that right turn !

Old 06-30-2008, 08:03 AM

69,360 posts, read 57,137,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
pgh, you should buy a few and "pickle and store" them for future use. They will stop making them soon, ya know.

I'm not into SUVs, but I know where you're coming from....my 57 foot boat holds 1200 gallons of diesel....that's like 7 grand to fill up. Sure, I could get away with a smaller boat but I don't want to!
Nah, they wont stop making them. There will always be someone who can afford them, and sooner or later, the price of fuel will go back to normal levels and people will be buying them up again..

Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 AM

69,360 posts, read 57,137,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post

What will happen is a few gas guzzling models will die, and those who want/need SUV's will simply buy the other models out, boosting sales.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:14 AM

823 posts, read 3,422,804 times
If you go to New Car Prices, Used Car Pricing, Car Reviews by Edmunds Car Buying Guide or New Car Prices and Used Car Blue Book Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site and put in the info on the car that you want they will send that info to a dealer near you and the dealer will contact you. I live right outside of NYC and I haven't been able to locate a 2004 or '05 Corolla.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:39 AM

3,066 posts, read 7,575,926 times
Quote:
Bikes are a healthy way to get around, as long as your city is set up to handle it. Many are not, with the lack of bikeways that will get you where you need to be.
Here in Michigan , there quite a few bike friendly places. I live in Marquette , a city with a plan. We have more bike paths than any other place in the country, and ,in the winter you can cross country ski.
I would love to bike to work, but it's 19 miles one way and the roads are busy. There have been 4 people killed here in Raleigh within the last few months on Bicycles and I really would not feel safe commuting in one (used to ride the trails all the time when I lived in the DC area). As far as cross country sking to work...that would ROCK. Too bad we get about 1-3" of snow a year here. Seriously though I have slowed down to about 3 miles above the speed limit and take off slower from stoplights and I've been saving about 15-20% on fuel. Sure people still fly by me going 20-30 over the speed limit, but let them be idiots who complain about gas prices. My wife and I are probably saving $50-70 a month in fuel just by driving slower and it only takes me 1 minute longer on my 19 mile commute to get to work...well worth it IMO. Now we do have 2 long trips planned in the next 2 weeks, but so be it.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:50 AM

5,615 posts, read 13,150,506 times
Quote:
Hello !! By BIG TRUCK , I mean commercial , what are you talking about ?
Note; Ever pull up along side an 18 wheeler in a motorbike , at a stop sign, now you know what I mean. He would never even know that his trailer flattened you like a bug , making that right turn !
Exactly. That's why I propose we all drive tanks. Not like a vintage Impala or LTD, I'm talking literally a tank. It'll work out great until we all drive one, then someone will have to find a way to make something even bigger.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Exactly. That's why I propose we all drive tanks. Not like a vintage Impala or LTD, I'm talking literally a tank. It'll work out great until we all drive one, then someone will have to find a way to make something even bigger.
They will.......its the American way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or