U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:37 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,560,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You need to get out on the Big Road once in a while........I'll keep my large car.
What is the "big road"? In the Southern California most the big trucks are on the 5, you can always avoid this highway if you want. This is not to mention they usually say in the right line. I've also driven across the country multiple times, so I'm not sure what "Big road" I'm missing.

Quote:
Nor do the Mcmansion owners even feel the pinch of the high gas prices.
How is that? The McMansions built over the last 7 years or so have been in communities that are fairly far from work centers. The houses are also unnecessarily large and they get hit again by increasing energy costs.

People that buy McMansions aren't rich. They are homes targeted at middle-class so why exactly will they not feel the pinch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 05:39 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,752,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
Actually, that's not always the case. If you're an experienced rider, you won't GET yourself into an auto accident, because you'll be driving defensively. CAN things happen? Sure, and monkeys could fly out of my ass tomorrow and give me a million dollars. But I'm going to bet on my abilities moreso than anything else.

And, this is also why, when you're riding a bike, you should wear protective clothing. If you have to slide on the ground for a couple hundred feet, a good, sturdy leather jacket will save your ass. Yes, it will get hot, and you'll get a bit of road rash, but human beings are not so fragile as to "shatter into tiny pieces". And many people also die in car, truk, suv, etc. crashes, too.

Again, though, it goes back to paying attention to your surroundings and driving defensively. I've had near misses on several occasions because of idiots that swerved out of their lane, pulled out into oncoming traffic from a dead stop, etc., and I've avoided ALL OF THEM because I'm observant and aware of my surroundings; I've been able to avoid every crash (and this includes collision with deer, moose, elk, and even buffalo) simply by paying attention and looking ahead. People that can't do that.. shouldn't drive, plain and simple.

Have to agree with you. I have been riding motorcycles on the highway for 32 years. Had one accident 24 years ago, got hit from behind sitting at red light. The bones healed and I am looking in my mirrors a lot now. I just expect people to do stupid things so that keeps me ready for anything. Pay attention and you will survive.

I have had a gas guzzling pickup since I got my drivers license and I will have one until I quit driving. My pickup is diesel so I pay the big price for fuel. I think it is sort of funny, gas prices have been really high for only a short period of time and everyone is panicking and ready to call it the end of times. Wonder what will be the tragedy for 2009?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:16 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,249,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ain't that the truth !! Nor do the Mcmansion owners even feel the pinch of the high gas prices.
I am sure many of them do. The term Mcmansion has been down graded to include homes , that were , once upon a time , not considered so.
Long ago , people had lots of kids , therefore , large homes. They may be gone , but , the homes in many areas are still there. We all need to take a lesson from Northern Europe , and see how they handled the problem.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:44 PM

5,090 posts, read 10,049,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I am sure many of them do. The term Mcmansion has been down graded to include homes , that were , once upon a time , not considered so.
Long ago , people had lots of kids , therefore , large homes. They may be gone , but , the homes in many areas are still there. We all need to take a lesson from Northern Europe , and see how they handled the problem.
Yeah, I figured we all sort of missed each on a common slang vocabulary term when I saw the responses to my comment.

The typical McMansion of my mind is usually sort of cheaply made to be sold at full fare, with grand entry looks and usually 4 to 5 bedrooms and maybe 3 baths. Typical AMWAY triple diamond poser "lifestyle" type house.

Usually located in a suburb within a block or two all McMansion built spec so the neighbors could stand around in a circle jerk of impressing themselves and each other. And all financed with Interest Only ARMs.

But it does sort of mirror the oversized and (formerly) overpriced SUVs. And now suffering the same fate. As far as long term, the McMansions maybe broken up into duplexes, but it is hard to say.

I think there has been some Kunsler or other essay going around about the future slums of suberbia that speaks to this, as well.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:52 PM

389 posts, read 967,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Have to agree with you. I have been riding motorcycles on the highway for 32 years. Had one accident 24 years ago, got hit from behind sitting at red light. The bones healed and I am looking in my mirrors a lot now. I just expect people to do stupid things so that keeps me ready for anything. Pay attention and you will survive.

I have had a gas guzzling pickup since I got my drivers license and I will have one until I quit driving. My pickup is diesel so I pay the big price for fuel. I think it is sort of funny, gas prices have been really high for only a short period of time and everyone is panicking and ready to call it the end of times. Wonder what will be the tragedy for 2009?
For you, though, the motorcycle and the truck balance each other out to equal decent gas mileage for you.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:57 PM

20,872 posts, read 18,790,332 times
My local Honda dealer are out of Fits and do have a waiting list. My Toyota dealer has some Yaris's and the small Scion's and plenty of Corolla's.
My advice would go to the Toyota or Honda website and start branching out from where you live until you find what you want at the price you want.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:50 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,752,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
For you, though, the motorcycle and the truck balance each other out to equal decent gas mileage for you.
I also own 6 semi's that get on average of 6 mpg. But fuel surcharges are making life a little easier. I do ride my motorcycle 90% of the time. Not because of price of diesel, but because there is no better way to travel than on a Harley.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 PM

823 posts, read 2,584,091 times
Default D.C. Metro used car lots are empty.....of customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Where the heck do you live? My coworker was able to score a toyota hybrid at 21k (Originally was quoted 28k) just a week ago. Might wanna try a metropolitan area.
I read this column in Sunday's Post and wanted to add it to the thread. The used car dealers can't get their hands on gas friendly cars according to this writer and people want to trade in SUV's are disappointed at how little they are offered.

$4 Gas Means Few Smiles On Car Lots - Raw Fisher

Old 06-30-2008, 08:04 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,249,270 times
Kinda ironic , the vehicles that will be left , that are affordable to the less fortunate , will be the SUV and larger cars. Sort of like a hand me down , same thing happened before , poor folk driving the old Caddy, a cast off of the rich.......

Old 06-30-2008, 08:06 PM

69,360 posts, read 57,183,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
A lot of the foreclosures are happening in McMansion communities as these are the sorts of houses they built recently while offering 100% financing and other such nonsense.
Financing terms have nothing to do with foreclosure rates. 100% financing always existed (in fact 125% even existed for awhile).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or