U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:28 AM

69,360 posts, read 57,142,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Much more than a 3 1/2 year payback. The return you could get on $40k would almost pay the heating bill. Also, there is no way to project "increase in resale value" into the future. Perhaps today it will result in a 25k increase. In 5 years it could be $5k. Regardless, I don't care about your purchase. Rather what you were saying was vague. You clarified the situation.

Which makes it pretty absurd to say "Sorry, but my home cost less to heat and cool then yours".

Well you don't have to expect it, but I'm going to do it. Unless you have a gigantic family a 6000 sf is gross excess (Do you have 10 kids or something?). Anyhow, I will criticize McMansions for the same reason I criticize SUVs. In the vast majority of cases they are examples of gross excess.
Boo hoo hoo, you think I live in gross excess... You hurt my feelings..

oh wait, your obviously uneducated in what it costs to really heat mcmansions and your obviously uneducated in the ROI, and its obvious that you dont understand that the higher my neighbors gas bills are, the higher the value of my property gains. For someone who claim they dont care about my purchase, you sure have spent a lot of time sitting on this thread complaining about my "gross excess"..

Thanks for caring...

Last edited by pghquest; 07-02-2008 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 01:29 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,239,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Boo hoo hoo, you think I live in gross excess... You hurt my feelings..

oh wait, your obviously uneducated in what it costs to really heat mcmansions and your obviously uneducated in the ROI, and its obvious that you dont understand that the higher my neighbors gas bills are, the higher the value of my property gains. For someone who claim they dont care about my purchase, you sure have spent a lot of time sitting on this thread complaining about my "gross excess"..

Thanks for caring...
Some people just don't get it ....thats one of the reasons we are sucking up so much fossil fuel........The day of repentance is coming......this winter.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,556,669 times
Quote:
and its obvious that you dont understand that the higher my neighbors gas bills are, the higher the value of my property gains.
Its obvious that you don't understand that things change. You have no idea whether 1.) gas prices will be high when you sell your house, 2.) Other cheaper alternatives have hit the market. What you are talking about is the market today. Are you selling your house today? No. So it doesn't matter.

Regardless if you want to waste your money on a McMansion then do it. Just don't be surprised when others snicker at it or criticize it.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:50 AM

22,703 posts, read 28,369,912 times
Quote:
In other words you don't live in LA, you live in McMansion filled Porter Ranch. As noted McMansions and large cars go hand and hand.
Actually, there are some real mansions in my area:

Old 07-03-2008, 12:55 AM

10,739 posts, read 32,409,316 times
The price of gas has been killing me however tonight I was glad to have my Expedition.

I loaded all the things that didn't sell in my garage sale and there was alot, some of it is going to goodwill and three HUGE boxes of books are going to a half price book store. I couldn't have gotten 1/4 of that into a Honda Fit or that kind of car.

My local Honda dealer has Fits in stock and they have a shipment of 20 coming in, the last before they start getting in the 2009 model. Its in Sanford Florida if anyone is interested.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Actually, there are some real mansions in my area:
Hmm...those look like McMansions to me (Just big McMansions). But regardless, my was that you don't live in LA you live in a relatively new develop that is primarily McMansions so you driving large cars isn't surprising.

Quote:
I couldn't have gotten 1/4 of that into a Honda Fit or that kind of car.
And how often do you do this?

Old 07-03-2008, 02:57 AM

22,703 posts, read 28,369,912 times
Quote:
Hmm...those look like McMansions to me (Just big McMansions). But regardless, my was that you don't live in LA you live in a relatively new develop that is primarily McMansions so you driving large cars isn't surprising.
No, they are real mansions. The photo I posted shows mansions in Monteria Estates. A development in which the homes are built on a minimum of 2 acres and of which the homes cost $1.5 to over $3.5 million.

Also, most of the homes in my area are just that... homes, not McMansions.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:
No, they are real mansions.
What is or isn't a "mansion" is vague. I don't consider a bunch of cheaply made wood frame houses Mansions. But maybe that is just me. The homes in the picture just look like bigger versions of the McMansions they've been building all over Southern California.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:38 AM

8,632 posts, read 14,239,224 times
Quote:
What is or isn't a "mansion" is vague. I don't consider a bunch of cheaply made wood frame houses Mansions. But maybe that is just me. The homes in the picture just look like bigger versions of the McMansions they've been building all over Southern California.
" Cheaply made wooden frame " .? Thats the way most all home are made today. Its not just the size of the footprint, ( however , that mostly depends on the size of lot ) , its more so , the interior finishing materials, fixtures, appliances, etc , that sets the price. In some areas of the country , they build vertical , with steep stairs , and large mansard roofs . This look tends to make the home more " stately large" , but , its mostly looks. The price of the home , is determined by the sub division standards. They mostly all look alike, regardless of price. Designer, Architect , custom homes, are built differently, and , usually reflect the owner's creative wishes. These homes more often than not , are not located in a sub division. I would not call these homes " McMansion's " , they are off the scale. Sometimes , not large at all, but more reflective of the needs, and tend to be engery efficient , for the size , but not always.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 AM

5,615 posts, read 13,152,393 times
The McMansion thing is really confusing... from all that I've been reading here over the last month or so I'm not sure if it's possible to build a large house these days that wouldn't be immediately labeled as one. Regardless of build quality, materials, efficiency or anything else someone would immediately come along and start up the McMansion bandwagon. There is some lousy construction quality out there put down in all the wrong places, but not everything built recently between X and Y square feet is one.

Back on topic though, I do see how it might not be cost effective for someone who doesn't need something as large as their truck or gas guzzler to trade it in on a new fuel efficient car. But there are a lot of good used cars out there and I don't see what the problem is with trading in for one of those. In a lot of cases I could see it as being a nearly equal trade or something that could be done with little money out of pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or