Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
How so? Either you 1.) Don't heat or cool your house, or 2.) You generate your own power then something doesn't add up. Instead of being vague explain the situation.
I havent been vague, I've posted several times that I have geothermal heating systems and have no gas bill. Not $1.00 a month I spend on gas, and my electric bill runs around $150 for heating/cooling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 06:27 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I havent been vague, I've posted several times that I have geothermal heating systems and have no gas bill. Not $1.00 a month I spend on gas, and my electric bill runs around $150 for heating/cooling.
I have been looking into Geo , but the quotes I get are very high., like 40,000 to install system complete with 170 foot holes , 5 of them.
I have found a Heat pump for cold weather ( Halloway Int. )that is a lot less , I am told ( waiting on a quote now ).Gas is not an option , as I am building on a granite mountain.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I have been looking into Geo , but the quotes I get are very high., like 40,000 to install system complete with 170 foot holes , 5 of them.
I have found a Heat pump for cold weather ( Halloway Int. )that is a lot less , I am told ( waiting on a quote now ).Gas is not an option , as I am building on a granite mountain.
I ended up with 10 holes, and yes.. they are about $40,000. But considering what it cost to heat a 6,000 sf home, the $40,000 is chump change, especially considering that the it increases the value of the home. I also have zone heating, so I'm only heating each room at a time, and not heating the whole house at once, so its extremely efficient.

On a 1/2 a million dollar home (which mine is not) $40,000 financed over 30 years adds very little to the monthly payment, but allows a home owner to better budget and thereby purchase a larger home.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I ended up with 10 holes, and yes.. they are about $40,000. But considering what it cost to heat a 6,000 sf home, the $40,000 is chump change, especially considering that the it increases the value of the home. I also have zone heating, so I'm only heating each room at a time, and not heating the whole house at once, so its extremely efficient.

On a 1/2 a million dollar home (which mine is not) $40,000 financed over 30 years adds very little to the monthly payment, but allows a home owner to better budget and thereby purchase a larger home.
Thats great , I know the savings , and the independence are worth it. However , I am building with cash. Don't want long term debt anymore. Too old !

Old 07-01-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Thats great , I know the savings , and the independence are worth it. However , I am building with cash. Don't want long term debt anymore. Too old !
Used cash but yes, know exactly what you mean. Most people dont have that much disposable income sitting around. For me its the ROI that I'm looking at and why I didnt hesistate to buy such a large home. I knew going into the house to budget money for a geothermal heater because I want my family to be able to afford to live here if something would happen to me.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times
Quote:
Seriously dude, your comments are just odd. I have no idea what you've said on other threads, I'm talking about this thread. Furthermore, saying you spend nothing on heating is...hmm....odd to say the least. You invested $40k in a heating system. Not only do you have to consider the $40k, but also the opportunity cost. Now, it may be far cheaper for you in the long run I have no idea. But to claim you don't spend a lot of money on heating and cooling is misleading. By the way, I spend $40~$50 a month on energy related utilities. So even your electric bill is 3 times what I pay, let alone the $40k you forked out for a heating system.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Seriously dude, your comments are just odd. I have no idea what you've said on other threads, I'm talking about this thread. Furthermore, saying you spend nothing on heating is...hmm....odd to say the least. You invested $40k in a heating system. Not only do you have to consider the $40k, but also the opportunity cost. Now, it may be far cheaper for you in the long run I have no idea. But to claim you don't spend a lot of money on heating and cooling is misleading. By the way, I spend $40~$50 a month on energy related utilities. So even your electric bill is 3 times what I pay, let alone the $40k you forked out for a heating system.
First, I never said I didnt spend anything on heat, I said I dont spend GAS on heat. In addition, while you may spend $40-$50 a month on energy related utilities, good, but I see you live in Los Angeles where it doesnt get below zero temperatures, and your home isnt 6,000 sf.

$40K for a heating system is not much to eliminate gas bills considering that a good/ac unit may cost $10K, and a heat pump might cost $15K, and the system added about $25K onto the resale value, in the end I lost nothing but save about $1000 a month heating bill in the winter, meaning a 3 1/2 year payback.

At this point, it appears that your posting for the point of arguing because you dont live with me nor do you have the lifestyle that I have. I have not criticzed your apartment, I dont expect you to criticize my home, especially considering that if your getting $40 a month bill, then your using more gas to heat your home then I am, because my gas bill is $0..

Old 07-02-2008, 12:01 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times
Quote:
in the end I lost nothing but save about $1000 a month heating bill in the winter, meaning a 3 1/2 year payback.
Much more than a 3 1/2 year payback. The return you could get on $40k would almost pay the heating bill. Also, there is no way to project "increase in resale value" into the future. Perhaps today it will result in a 25k increase. In 5 years it could be $5k. Regardless, I don't care about your purchase. Rather what you were saying was vague. You clarified the situation.

Quote:
but I see you live in Los Angeles where it doesnt get below zero temperatures, and your home isnt 6,000 sf.
Which makes it pretty absurd to say "Sorry, but my home cost less to heat and cool then yours".

Quote:
I dont expect you to criticize my home, especially considering that if your getting $40 a month bill, then your using more gas to heat your home then I am, because my gas bill is $0..
Well you don't have to expect it, but I'm going to do it. Unless you have a gigantic family a 6000 sf is gross excess (Do you have 10 kids or something?). Anyhow, I will criticize McMansions for the same reason I criticize SUVs. In the vast majority of cases they are examples of gross excess.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:19 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
While I don't feel 'trapped' into keeping my vehicle, and would love a newer, more gas-economical model, I just offset the fact my car only gets about 24 mpg on the highway, and about 18 mpg around time, by driving much less. I don't get behind the wheel these days but what I don't give some thought to where I am headed, and why, and what errands I can combine for better gas consumption. I can't control my car's mpg, other than by doing the obvious -- tire inflation, tune-ups, and the like -- but I have all of the control over how much I drive.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
While I don't feel 'trapped' into keeping my vehicle, and would love a newer, more gas-economical model, I just offset the fact my car only gets about 24 mpg on the highway, and about 18 mpg around time, by driving much less. I don't get behind the wheel these days but what I don't give some thought to where I am headed, and why, and what errands I can combine for better gas consumption. I can't control my car's mpg, other than by doing the obvious -- tire inflation, tune-ups, and the like -- but I have all of the control over how much I drive.
You and the rest of the public........gas consumption is way down , for this time of year.The Holiday will tell us a lot, my bet is they will stay home , or , only drive to the lake , or city park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics