Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:24 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,502,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
The McMansion thing is really confusing... from all that I've been reading here over the last month or so I'm not sure if it's possible to build a large house these days that wouldn't be immediately labeled as one. Regardless of build quality, materials, efficiency or anything else someone would immediately come along and start up the McMansion bandwagon. There is some lousy construction quality out there put down in all the wrong places, but not everything built recently between X and Y square feet is one.

Back on topic though, I do see how it might not be cost effective for someone who doesn't need something as large as their truck or gas guzzler to trade it in on a new fuel efficient car. But there are a lot of good used cars out there and I don't see what the problem is with trading in for one of those. In a lot of cases I could see it as being a nearly equal trade or something that could be done with little money out of pocket.
Agree with all of that.

Seems the only real serious saving path on gas is not to buy the stuff. Even if you are dealing with a high mileage car, it is still a loss. While it is less of a loss, it is still a loss, and that is mitigation of a problem, not a win.

But looking at the consumption rates, there may be hope for US, yet >>>

Peak Oil: Association for the Study of Peak Oil & Gas - USA - Peak Oil Review -- June 2, 2008

Quote:

In the US indications of reduced gasoline consumption are starting to appear with reports from the Federal Highway Administration that vehicle miles in March were down 4.3 percent over 2007 and from MasterCard that gasoline sales just before Memorial Day were down by 7.6 percent. The EIA however is still reporting only a minor drop in gasoline consumption. In the next month or so we should have a better indication of how much of an impact $4 gasoline is having on American driving habits.
This is like watching America play Biggest Loser.

Folks getting their lard asses outta the car and wallering down street!

Go! Fat Boy, America, Go!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,876,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Its obvious that you don't understand that things change. You have no idea whether 1.) gas prices will be high when you sell your house, 2.) Other cheaper alternatives have hit the market. What you are talking about is the market today. Are you selling your house today? No. So it doesn't matter.

Regardless if you want to waste your money on a McMansion then do it. Just don't be surprised when others snicker at it or criticize it.
1) Gas prices will be high when I sell my home. I KNOW THATS THE POINT.. I DONT USE GAS TO HEAT MY HOME. The higher gas goes, the more people will be willing to pay to not have to pay.. to heat a home.

2) Other cheaper alternatives have hit the market.. Yes, but none as cheap as FREE... So regardless as to if my neighbors all turn to oil, gas, electric, or any other method that uses natural resources that are prone to increase in price, it does NOTHING BUT INCREASE THE VALUE OF MY HOME every single time the price of fuel goes up.

For gods sake, I'm done arguing with stupid.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
The McMansion thing is really confusing... from all that I've been reading here over the last month or so I'm not sure if it's possible to build a large house these days that wouldn't be immediately labeled as one.
yes, its called class envy.

My home was built probably about 60 years ago, previous owner added on 2,500 sf addition a few years ago, and yes, because its 6,000 sf its labeled as a "McMansion" even though its not one. People dont care if their terminology is accurate, its the latest cool word used to blame others for their excess, even if there isnt any..

Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 AM

3,976 posts, read 6,535,498 times
Um - no its definitely not class envy. Not sure why you would qualify living in a big house as "class envy". For all I know its a dilapidated dump that you rent out one bedroom apartments in. Its called excessive americans who feel they are entitled to everything. Trust me no one is envious of your house. I don't even know what it looks like and at 6000 square feet its excessive (for anyone) and I certainly wouldn't want it. With that being said...No one should label a 60 year old house a mcmansion and if they are they clearly don't know where that term came from. True mcmansions are usually large homes on very small lots. Period. Many are made with inferior building materials.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,886,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Um - no its definitely not class envy. Its called excessive americans who feel they are entitled to everything. No one should label a 60 year old house a mcmansion and if they are they clearly don't know where that term came from. True mcmansions are usually large homes on very small lots. Period. Many are made with inferior building materials. Trust me no one is envious of your house. I don't even know what it looks like and at 6000 square feet its excessive (for anyone) and I certainly wouldn't want it.
You may not know of what you speak........You were on the right track , but shot yourself in the foot at the end.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:23 AM

1,649 posts, read 4,333,430 times
to each his own, it's a free country...but big houses and big vehicles aren't necessary to live a rich and rewarding life. Things like that are reflective of people who have esteem issues, in my opinion. Eventually the more things you own will eventually own you.

Personally, I could see the utility in owning a big gas guzzler pickup...to do things like haul wood, pull a tractor, plow a road, etc...stuff that most owners don't do with their 'street queens'.

There sure was an explosion of 'penis trucks' on the roads with all that funny money being thrown around the past few years...you know the ones...brand new (leased, I'm sure) full-size 4x4 pickups with a lift kit and big ol' tires on slick rims, or pimped-out Tahoes and Escalades. My favorite was an H2 I saw a couple weeks back with vanity plate "LUVMYH2". I bet they do...

Old 07-03-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Um - no its definitely not class envy. Not sure why you would qualify living in a big house as "class envy". For all I know its a dilapidated dump that you rent out one bedroom apartments in. Its called excessive americans who feel they are entitled to everything. Trust me no one is envious of your house. I don't even know what it looks like and at 6000 square feet its excessive (for anyone) and I certainly wouldn't want it. With that being said...No one should label a 60 year old house a mcmansion and if they are they clearly don't know where that term came from. True mcmansions are usually large homes on very small lots. Period. Many are made with inferior building materials.
And I dont care at all if you think its excessive because when I have company, I'm glad as heck that I dont need to trip over my in-laws, or even see them if I dont wish to. I'm even gladder that when I go into the office to work, I can do so knowing that my children are in our 3 acre yard playing, and I can look out the office window and see that they are safe. I can also do this without spending any gas money getting to work, or wasting any time to do so. The satisfaction of knowing I can work from home, and can save on gas, and make sure my children are safe while I work, to me makes the home all worth while and far from excessive.

Your own posting proves my point. Anyone who calls 60 year old homes "McMansions" simply because its large does so because they are uneducated about what "McMansions" terminology means. The definition is merging into "large home", and if thats the only qualification that someone uses, then yes, it is class envy. There are dozens of home classifications to represent large homes, all the way from McMansions, to victorian, to colonial, and those who want to lump all large homes together as "McMansions", do so simply out of class envy.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You may not know of what you speak........You were on the right track , but shot yourself in the foot at the end.
Not sure how I did that, but whatever!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Your own posting proves my point. Anyone who calls 60 year old homes "McMansions" simply because its large does so because they are uneducated about what "McMansions" terminology means. The definition is merging into "large home", and if thats the only qualification that someone uses, then yes, it is class envy. There are dozens of home classifications to represent large homes, all the way from McMansions, to victorian, to colonial, and those who want to lump all large homes together as "McMansions", do so simply out of class envy.
You're right. I am envious of "your class". (thats sarcasm by the way) Money or as you're qualifying it as owning a large home certainly doesn't buy class or qualify you as being in a different class than anyone else. Sorry this isn't the fuedal system. I guess I don't need 6,000 square feet to entertain my family and I certainly have other ways to spend my money. to each their own

Old 07-03-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
You're right. I am envious of "your class". (thats sarcasm by the way) Money or as you're qualifying it as owning a large home certainly doesn't buy class or qualify you as being in a different class than anyone else. Sorry this isn't the fuedal system. I guess I don't need 6,000 square feet to entertain my family and I certainly have other ways to spend my money. to each their own
I dont recall YOU, calling a 60 year old home a "McMansion", so your sarcasm adds nothing to the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics