Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:41 PM

655 posts, read 916,342 times

Advertisements

I had said previously that once oil hit $150 per barrel I would produce my own ethanol. Well I've decided $143 is close enough. Production will soon be under way. My mash of choice will be molasses for the first batch. I have purchased 2000 pounds of it and an all copper distiller $1400 +$130 shipping) along with all filters, tanks. I've began filling out my Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms permit for review and will be under production in about 5 weeks. I plan to produce 3-4 gallons per day at a cost of $1.18 per gallon. I will then begin growing sugar beets in my Cary, NC. backyard for the next batch that will be estimated to run 47 cents per gallon.

To all of you, I sincerely hope you do some research in this area. It really does not take much to safely and efficiently produce your own ethanol. Screww the big oil companies. To hell with them and the speculators and conspiracies. Make you own damn fuel people. I hope you will join me........I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 06:35 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,202 times
You might want to consider signing on with an ethanol producers group such as >>>

alcoholfuel : Alcohol Fuel

I have been in that one for over a year, and they seem to know the topic well and are very helpful.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:04 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,716 times
Big oil isn't your problem. The blame can solely be placed on the shoulders of the bureaucrats. That being said, I might be following in your footsteps shortly. Of course, I wont be filing any paper work with the fascist ATF. I'll be ordering a reflux still when I get my paycheck friday.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:52 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
I love to encourage the free market... let consumers decide the fate of the energy.. Travelmate has good ideas... sugar beets and his own distiller... do you qualify for ethanol subsidies as well? I wouldn't mind doing the exact same thing... geothermal energy, solar energy, and ethanol production... keep me posted, I am definitely interested... I think the main reason we haven't moved away from oil is because companies don't want to sell you something that you can make your own... its time for the utility and oil companies to go out of business...I don't blame speculators, I blame the greedy companies that sell overpriced oil and blaming it on speculators... the companies SET the price, not speculators... keep me posted, I will be interested in producing my own ethanol for fuel... but knowing the government, they probably deny you since you aren't "selling" the product and a threat to Big Business, that is, if everyone produces their own ethanol...

Old 07-01-2008, 06:16 AM

893 posts, read 790,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
I had said previously that once oil hit $150 per barrel I would produce my own ethanol. Well I've decided $143 is close enough. Production will soon be under way. My mash of choice will be molasses for the first batch. I have purchased 2000 pounds of it and an all copper distiller $1400 +$130 shipping) along with all filters, tanks. I've began filling out my Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms permit for review and will be under production in about 5 weeks. I plan to produce 3-4 gallons per day at a cost of $1.18 per gallon. I will then begin growing sugar beets in my Cary, NC. backyard for the next batch that will be estimated to run 47 cents per gallon.

To all of you, I sincerely hope you do some research in this area. It really does not take much to safely and efficiently produce your own ethanol. Screww the big oil companies. To hell with them and the speculators and conspiracies. Make you own damn fuel people. I hope you will join me........I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.
I'll buy from you for 2.50 a gallon.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Consider growing oil seed plants and squeezing your own diesel fuel. You can still sell the left over grain mush for cattle food or even ferment it for ethanol production. this si a way of concentration solar energy.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:07 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
I'll buy from you for 2.50 a gallon.
I had the same thought but was going to offer $2.00/gal!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Big oil isn't your problem. The blame can solely be placed on the shoulders of the bureaucrats. That being said, I might be following in your footsteps shortly. Of course, I wont be filing any paper work with the fascist ATF. I'll be ordering a reflux still when I get my paycheck friday.
Sorry, but this is a really (REALLY, REALLY) dumb idea. What you are proposing is a Federal Felony that will haunt you the rest of your young life. For a few bucks. Really, really dumb. If you want to commit Federal Felonies, at least make some good money. Go rob a bank.

The application process is not that painful, and your equipment will reviewed for SAFETY. (not for fascism ) The highway taxes are minor, and there are rebates available.

This is an industrial process with potential dangerous reactions to you and those in your area, along with possible poisonous outputs. Be smart and do it right.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:20 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,438 times
Producing your own ethanol is an interesting idea. I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I love to encourage the free market... let consumers decide the fate of the energy.. Travelmate has good ideas... sugar beets and his own distiller... do you qualify for ethanol subsidies as well? I wouldn't mind doing the exact same thing... geothermal energy, solar energy, and ethanol production... keep me posted, I am definitely interested... I think the main reason we haven't moved away from oil is because companies don't want to sell you something that you can make your own... its time for the utility and oil companies to go out of business...I don't blame speculators, I blame the greedy companies that sell overpriced oil and blaming it on speculators... the companies SET the price, not speculators... keep me posted, I will be interested in producing my own ethanol for fuel... but knowing the government, they probably deny you since you aren't "selling" the product and a threat to Big Business, that is, if everyone produces their own ethanol...
How can you say you believe in the free market but then blame the "greedy" companies? That's what companies are. They are predictably greedy. That's why we need basic regulations to protect us from pollution and ensure competition. But if the companies are setting the price then why not set it higher and make even more money? Because the market won't bear a higher price yet? Sounds like the companies are not arbitrarily setting prices after all. The prices are set according to the market.

And do you really want oil and utility companies to go out of business? That is just an ignorant statement.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
How can you say you believe in the free market but then blame the "greedy" companies? That's what companies are. They are predictably greedy. That's why we need basic regulations to protect us from pollution and ensure competition. But if the companies are setting the price then why not set it higher and make even more money? Because the market won't bear a higher price yet? Sounds like the companies are not arbitrarily setting prices after all. The prices are set according to the market.

And do you really want oil and utility companies to go out of business? That is just an ignorant statement.
I can catch that one, if you will. The various "greedy" corporations tend to be against free markets. Often criminally so. In the case of energy and medical/pharmco they even pay to change the laws to get a greater chance to screw US.

Open and free markets would destroy many US corporations -- especially those in energy. For the sake of the country and people, I would just as soon replace the large utility companies with small independent producers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics