Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 AM

542 posts, read 1,685,005 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am hoping some of you would take a few minutes to answer three short questions about a new product idea for my marketing class I'm taking as part of an MBA program.

My product idea is to publish current issues of popular newsstand magazines (like People for example) on CD-ROM. My thoughts are to offer the CD version (much like the online ads for walmart you can page through on their website) beside the paper version. This would not replace the current medium of magazines but offer an alternative. I'm envisioning the airport newsstands to be a primary market for them but perhaps also bookstores and other outlets as well. So...the three questions...feel free to add any comments as to why you chose your answer.

1 - Is this a product you would use?
2 - Is this a product you would buy?
3 - How much would you pay for this product?

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 11:09 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
Hi everyone, I am hoping some of you would take a few minutes to answer three short questions about a new product idea for my marketing class I'm taking as part of an MBA program.

My product idea is to publish current issues of popular newsstand magazines (like People for example) on CD-ROM. My thoughts are to offer the CD version (much like the online ads for walmart you can page through on their website) beside the paper version. This would not replace the current medium of magazines but offer an alternative. I'm envisioning the airport newsstands to be a primary market for them but perhaps also bookstores and other outlets as well. So...the three questions...feel free to add any comments as to why you chose your answer.

1 - Is this a product you would use?
No
2 - Is this a product you would buy?
No
3 - How much would you pay for this product?
If it had to be priced, it'll be in the pennies for someone to buy it over a magazine.

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Sorry, but I'm going to be a little critical about your product.
First of all your assuming people will have laptops available to view the content. Also, if they did have laptops, why couldn't they read the magazine online? Paper/Magazines are good for impulse buys and can be viewed instantly without a player/tool - it's the convenience that they're paying for. With a CD it eliminates the convenience and also the ability to browse before purchasing. On the plane a magazine is probably still easier to read unless their is significant savings using the CD version.

I could see this product for textbooks and/or learning materials for third world countries with the $100 laptop initiative. CDs are cheaper than books and are more lighter to store/ship.

Good luck on your project.

-chuck22b

Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 AM

542 posts, read 1,685,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Sorry, but I'm going to be a little critical about your product.
First of all your assuming people will have laptops available to view the content. Also, if they did have laptops, why couldn't they read the magazine online? Paper/Magazines are good for impulse buys and can be viewed instantly without a player/tool - it's the convenience that they're paying for. With a CD it eliminates the convenience and also the ability to browse before purchasing.

I could see this product for textbooks and/or learning materials for third world countries with the $100 laptop initiative. CDs are cheaper than books and are more lighter to store/ship.

Good luck on your project.

-chuck22b
Thanks for the feedback, the rest of the class sounds great except for the part where we have to come up with an innovative product not already on the market. I'm taking Marketing, not Inventions 101 lol. Sigh...

Got any good ideas?

Old 07-01-2008, 11:12 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,484 times
No, I wouldn't use them as I like the paper version. So much easier for me then having to have a computer on hand to access.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
Thanks for the feedback, the rest of the class sounds great except for the part where we have to come up with an innovative product not already on the market. I'm taking Marketing, not Inventions 101 lol. Sigh...

Got any good ideas?
You can still use the same product... but revise the content, and target it to places that have laptops, but doesn't have reliable internet connections. Like the third-world countries as mentioned. Target, target, target! :P... marketing I'm sure the field workers would like to have news about their homeland when they are out in the boonies where Internet connection is rare or too expensive.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:20 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
I have to agree with Chuck and Ann. The paper versions are more convenient. (How many software programs have you bought that came with an electronic manual only?)

The only useful thing about electronic versions is that you can search them easily. But one issue per CD is going to take away that advantage.

I suppose if you could sell a CD (via subscription maybe?) that had a few dozen magazines per CD maybe there would be a market for it. But then again, who reads that many magazines?

I remember classes like this. You'll probably come up with your best idea about a week after the project is due!

If there was a secure way to sell limited use DVD movies for a trip that might do okay. You could sell them for $5.99 a piece and they are good for 24 hours. It would be like a pay-per-view movie for the plan ride.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
You can still use the same product... but revise the content, and target it to places that have laptops, but doesn't have reliable internet connections. Like the third-world countries as mentioned. Target, target, target! :P... marketing I'm sure the field workers would like to have news about their homeland when they are out in the boonies where Internet connection is rare or too expensive.
Chuck posted this while I was writing the post above.

This is a good idea. I would include newspapers from around the country too. Make it a weekly delivery.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
I have to agree with Chuck and Ann. The paper versions are more convenient. (How many software programs have you bought that came with an electronic manual only?)

The only useful thing about electronic versions is that you can search them easily. But one issue per CD is going to take away that advantage.

I suppose if you could sell a CD (via subscription maybe?) that had a few dozen magazines per CD maybe there would be a market for it. But then again, who reads that many magazines?

I remember classes like this. You'll probably come up with your best idea about a week after the project is due!

If there was a secure way to sell limited use DVD movies for a trip that might do okay. You could sell them for $5.99 a piece and they are good for 24 hours. It would be like a pay-per-view movie for the plan ride.
Hmm... I wonder if RedBox or DVDPlay has covered the airport and transport terminals. That would IMO, be the closest thing to what your describing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics