U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:41 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,494,944 times

Advertisements

When Starbucks sweeped into my former city of 150,000 people they did so dramatically, building five stores in less than a year. Now, it took Starbucks a while to reach our market, which had been served well by "mom and pop" coffee houses that provided 50 times the "atmosphere," good and less expensive products, and wonderful meeting places for a quiet lunch, poetry readings, and live entertainment in the evenings. My son worked at one of them in high school.

In rolls Starbucks and, within two years of opening, put all of the "mom and pops" out of business. People wanted the Starbucks name and wouldn't patronize the locally owned places unless there was a special "event," like a popular band playing. It was a huge shame! The locals' business dropped so dramatically that they lost the ability to compete in no time. In my current city, we have a popular locally owned coffee house, Peet's, Java City, and one freestanding Starbucks and another inside a store. They haven't monopolized here and I'm glad.

So, Starbucks is getting what's coming to them, IMO. The locally owned coffee places and even other chains are more reasonably priced than Starbucks. Plus, their places are cozy, soothing, and inviting. You WANT to linger, meet friends there, and relax. I've never been to a Starbucks that I couldn't wait to leave; admittedly, their prices and loud, chaotic atmosphere kept me from going there more than a few times and mostly when I wanted coffee or chai tea latte and there was nothing else nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:47 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,757,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I'm not surprised

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Starbucks Corp (SBUX.O) said on Tuesday it plans to close another 500 underperforming stores and eliminate as many as 12,000 full- and part-time positions, lifting shares nearly 6 percent.

The company, which now plans to close a total of 600 underperforming stores versus its previous estimate of 100, said the majority of the stores will be closed by the end of March 2009.

Continue.........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080701/... (broken link)
fantastic news, now all we need is for a few more of the bigger guys to follow suit, flooding the market with quality second hand coffee shop equipment and commercial space.
maybe when the prices come down there will be opportunity for the "mom and pop" to get back into the game

Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,757,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes, I looked at a starbucks franchise several years ago. Family kept trying to convince me about how great a deal they would be, and I kept telling people Starbucks was a fad..
don't think it was a fad. it's business is only dropping because there's less expendable income around.
nevertheless the more of them closing the happier i get. gives the little guy a chance

Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM

5,525 posts, read 10,230,495 times
Here's a Starbucks story for you.

Back when I lived in Oakland, CA, Starbuck's planned to open a new outlet directly across the street from a very popular community coffee shop run by a retired High School teacher and his wife. Word got out, and based on various things--petitions, traffic counts, lack of parking and maybe some local behind-the-scenes campaigning (hard to say, really,) the neighborhood successfully kept Starbucks away. It felt quite empowering to do this!

But in a nearby neighborhood, a Starbucks did open across the street from an established coffee shop and did impact their business..last I heard, though, both coffee places were still in business.

Personally, for my taste, I'm not a big fan of Starbucks coffee, or their beans. Both taste too acid with a hint of burnt beans...so I didn't participate in the Starbucks coffee mania. I did love their decor and music selection and would go there to have a bottle of water and hang out sometimes...

Old 07-02-2008, 09:24 PM

18,123 posts, read 14,398,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Starbucks is also in our Target and 2 month ago the opened a brand new one accross the street....how is that if one of them is a franchise....they kill their own stores, way to close to each other....are the Starbucks people so stupid not to realize that.
Starbucks is simply targeting the Target shoppers by hoping that a lot of them will want coffee while they shop. So I bet the Target shopping carts have at least one or two cup holders on them.

The Starbucks across the street must be for everyone else who isn't shopping at Target. The drive-up window is probably heavily used there.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:17 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,592,974 times
In Hemet, CA - a town of about 65,000 people and definitely not on the cutting edge - there are four Starbucks. One is in Target, one in front of the Mall and two just in shopping centers. Would you think these four stores would be spread out across the town? Well you would be wrong. They are all within about five miles of each other, on the same street. I think there are only about six gas stations along that same stretch.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:02 AM

26,662 posts, read 40,645,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Starbucks is simply targeting the Target shoppers by hoping that a lot of them will want coffee while they shop. So I bet the Target shopping carts have at least one or two cup holders on them.

The Starbucks across the street must be for everyone else who isn't shopping at Target. The drive-up window is probably heavily used there.
I enjoyed some nice test samples while shopping. They sometimes were going aound the store with these...
I could have understand the opening of the Starbucks accross the street if it was in a increasing market but it just opened in a decreasing Starbucks market.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:26 AM

6,585 posts, read 23,249,905 times
The intersection close to me has 3 Starbucks - one in a Target, one in a Tom Thumb and a regular one in a strip mall.

I don't think Starbucks owns all of these Starbucks in the world. The one in my highrise is owned by a company called Compass.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:41 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,766,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I'm not surprised

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Starbucks Corp (SBUX.O) said on Tuesday it plans to close another 500 underperforming stores and eliminate as many as 12,000 full- and part-time positions, lifting shares nearly 6 percent.

The company, which now plans to close a total of 600 underperforming stores versus its previous estimate of 100, said the majority of the stores will be closed by the end of March 2009.

Continue.........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080701/bs_nm/starbucks_dc (broken link)
lets follow what this means

star bucks cuts jobs (as will other food service industry business will soon). That means more layoffs right? But what does it mean for people on white collar fields? What it means is, that mortgage broker who just go laid off and is on his last leg can not count on service jobs to make ends meet until he can get back on his feet. What it means is, a lot of people will not have alternatives as far as finding lower end jobs to work until things get better. What it also means is, look for people to start doing more crime and I would assume really outlandish sorts of crime at that.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:06 AM

1,356 posts, read 5,592,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
lets follow what this means

star bucks cuts jobs (as will other food service industry business will soon). That means more layoffs right? But what does it mean for people on white collar fields? What it means is, that mortgage broker who just go laid off and is on his last leg can not count on service jobs to make ends meet until he can get back on his feet. What it means is, a lot of people will not have alternatives as far as finding lower end jobs to work until things get better. What it also means is, look for people to start doing more crime and I would assume really outlandish sorts of crime at that.
I was agreeing with you up until I got to the part about the crime wave...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or