U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:50 PM

12 posts, read 23,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
don't think it was a fad. it's business is only dropping because there's less expendable income around.
nevertheless the more of them closing the happier i get. gives the little guy a chance

I am the little guy, I work for starbucks...you can hate the company all you want but there are a lot of people who are going to suffer long before Schultz feels a thing. Maybe next time people start to cheer because starbucks is closing they'll remember that there are blue collar workers who pay for everything with starbucks wages. I'm not big on giant corporations either and will someday have my own coffee shop(i hope)but i'm in college and can't afford to not work...that is why I don't cheer when I hear about stores closing. Everyone is losing jobs, why is it something to cheer about.

Don't act so cold and ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 01:59 PM

55,111 posts, read 43,946,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barista View Post
I am really sad to read that so many people want starbucks to fail. Like it or not, there are people who are paying the bills with a job at starbucks, I am one of them. I am happy to have a job when so many are losing their jobs, so think about the people at the bottom, not the CEOs at the top.

Also, I work in a small town and we are SO busy, we are #1 in our state and district time and time again, so don't be so quick to say that the smaller towns should close, maybe generally speaking but...
1) You work in a small town with a low cost of living. If you worked in say...New York and made $12/hour at Starbucks....you'd starve to death. Cost of living answers the salary question.

2) People want starbucks to fail because many have been trained to hate anything corporate because they are run by greedy republicans blah blah blah. These are people that generally have never stopped to think about where taxes come from (profits and employees) to pay for schools etc. nor where thier parents pension fund might be invested or that making a profit isn't actually a bad thing. What's really funny is that they hate companies for making profits and then LOVE it when they LOSE money which tells you the people are probably too political or just have no clue about economics.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:13 PM

21,296 posts, read 15,086,092 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware I had some moral, legal or ethical obligation to support blue-collar workers by patronizing StarSucks.

It's a service. It produces nothing of value. It only serves to shuffle money from here to there.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 PM

21,296 posts, read 15,086,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
2) People want starbucks to fail because many have been trained to hate anything corporate because they are run by greedy republicans blah blah blah.
No, that is not the reason. I support Sitwell's, but not StarSucks. My money goes to Susan, not some guy in a suit. She gives the money back to the community in the form of taxes, because she lives down the road from me, and not in some $4.7 Million mansion in Beverly Hills.

Quote:
These are people that generally have never stopped to think about where taxes come from (profits and employees) to pay for schools etc. nor where thier parents pension fund might be invested or that making a profit isn't actually a bad thing. What's really funny is that they hate companies for making profits and then LOVE it when they LOSE money which tells you the people are probably too political or just have no clue about economics.
That money can just as easily and more efficiently come from private corporations, LLCs and LLPs.

I would rather purchase something for $3 made by a private corporation down the road whose CEO makes $450,000/year and whose employees receive $14/hour than pay $2 to a public corporation for the same item where a CEO who makes $42 Million/year and doesn't live in the community (and neither do the vast majority of shareholders who take a cut of the profits) and whose worker's receive $8/hour.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:29 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,756,899 times
Quote:
I am the little guy, I work for starbucks...you can hate the company all you want but there are a lot of people who are going to suffer long before Schultz feels a thing. Maybe next time people start to cheer because starbucks is closing they'll remember that there are blue collar workers who pay for everything with starbucks wages. I'm not big on giant corporations either and will someday have my own coffee shop(i hope)but i'm in college and can't afford to not work...that is why I don't cheer when I hear about stores closing. Everyone is losing jobs, why is it something to cheer about.

maybe one day when you do in fact own your own coffee shop you'll understand why i'm cheering!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 PM

55,111 posts, read 43,946,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, that is not the reason. I support Sitwell's, but not StarSucks. My money goes to Susan, not some guy in a suit. She gives the money back to the community in the form of taxes, because she lives down the road from me, and not in some $4.7 Million mansion in Beverly Hills.

That money can just as easily and more efficiently come from private corporations, LLCs and LLPs.

I would rather purchase something for $3 made by a private corporation down the road whose CEO makes $450,000/year and whose employees receive $14/hour than pay $2 to a public corporation for the same item where a CEO who makes $42 Million/year and doesn't live in the community (and neither do the vast majority of shareholders who take a cut of the profits) and whose worker's receive $8/hour.
I have not been subject to a more dishonest representation of my post EVER. Congratulations. We were talking about the actually MAKING of a profit and not the merits of local business....which I support so I guess we agree there despite your best efforts.

Supporting your local business is great. I am now asking you for a source of your wage guessitmates....granted I expect to never hear from you again as I googled and never found them. Welcome to the business forums....where political pap gets smeared on the sidewalk like the dogs dinner.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:52 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,592,530 times
Quote:
2) People want starbucks to fail because many have been trained to hate anything corporate because they are run by greedy republicans blah blah blah. These are people that generally have never stopped to think about where taxes come from (profits and employees) to pay for schools etc. nor where thier parents pension fund might be invested or that making a profit isn't actually a bad thing. What's really funny is that they hate companies for making profits and then LOVE it when they LOSE money which tells you the people are probably too political or just have no clue about economics.
Don't you love how people claim to be supporters of business until a business becomes too successful (in their opinion) and then they turn on it?

Well stated, Mathguy.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 PM

38,690 posts, read 91,085,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
maybe one day when you do in fact own your own coffee shop you'll understand why i'm cheering!
And then when her coffee shop turns into two shops, then 12 shops, then 250 shops, then 2,000 shops, she can count on you to hope she gets smacked down for getting too big for her britches.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 AM

3,283 posts, read 4,756,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And then when her coffee shop turns into two shops, then 12 shops, then 250 shops, then 2,000 shops, she can count on you to hope she gets smacked down for getting too big for her britches.

don't want anyone to get smacked down, just rooting for the small guy. you're an intelligent individual drover, i really hope i don't have to explain the difference!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 AM

38,690 posts, read 91,085,880 times
Right, just rooting for the small guy by cheering as several thousand of them lose their jobs. How thoughtful of you. And those small guys you're rooting for better not get too big or else you'll be there to root for their misfortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or