Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:24 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times

Advertisements

Wow, there's so many Starbucks haters in the world. People complain about the prices, but I can name a bunch of other restaurants that cost just as much and I never hear anyone complain about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Wow, there's so many Starbucks haters in the world. People complain about the prices, but I can name a bunch of other restaurants that cost just as much and I never hear anyone complain about them.
Success always creates contempt among some group of people.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:16 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,691,981 times
Frapuccino is pretty expensive and tastes like the regular coffee ice cream you buy anywhere. But hey, they charge you just for the brand.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:26 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
The cake is nice but for one piece you can buy a whole cake at Publix which is just as good or better.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:34 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
I have always liked the taste of StarBucks drinks and I believe that was the reason for their success among my generation. Most of my friends didn't even drink coffee as we thought it tasted poorly. When a StarBucks opened on campus, and then after I was encouraged to try something, I found it tasted great and had new interest in caffeinated beverages. Some of my friends began their caffeine addiction this way.

The biggest problem with Starbucks was over-expansion without actually buying much of the real estate they opened stores within. They should have learned from McDonald's... the best business to be in (if you can afford it) when doing retail is actually "real estate." The second biggest problem was that they diversified into retail nicknacks, gadgets, merchandise which was over-priced and appealed only to niche markets. It was a mistake to do this. They we good coffee shops and should have remained as such leaving merchandising, breakfast/lunch food to the companies which specialize in those things.

People are still incredibly hooked on caffeine... it's one of the few legal drugs which is truly addictive, the market for it will not disappear. Starbucks was mismanaged, that's it. Poor economy or not, I still see about 300 people a day (no joke, I'm friends with the owner who verified this) walk into a locally-owned coffee shop to get their fix for rather over-priced espressos.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
The first round of closings listed:
July 2008 U.S. Store Closure List
I see Minnesota is second behind CA in closings. I have a feeling Caribou Coffee is eating Starbucks lunch. They are based in Mpls.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Gosh, can't we close some of the millions of MCD or BK?? Talk about creating health problems: obesity, diabetes, etc, etc. We could stand to lose a few of the fast food kind of places.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:12 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Gosh, can't we close some of the millions of MCD or BK?? Talk about creating health problems: obesity, diabetes, etc, etc. We could stand to lose a few of the fast food kind of places.
Can't 'we' close them?
Sure....by staying out of 'em.

I've yet to see one of those places equipped with a 'grabber bar' that forces your car into the lot while you're innocently driving by.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:33 PM

12 posts, read 24,868 times
ok...I work for Starbucks and I'm wondering which one hires at $12/hr because I have been there for a year and they DO NOT hire and pay that much, especially starting wages. So...maybe check your facts on that one.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:39 PM

12 posts, read 24,868 times
I am really sad to read that so many people want starbucks to fail. Like it or not, there are people who are paying the bills with a job at starbucks, I am one of them. I am happy to have a job when so many are losing their jobs, so think about the people at the bottom, not the CEOs at the top.

Also, I work in a small town and we are SO busy, we are #1 in our state and district time and time again, so don't be so quick to say that the smaller towns should close, maybe generally speaking but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics