U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:52 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,763,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
With all this talk of this decade's fads such as Starbucks fading with the collapsing economy - does anybody think this will apply to Apple also? Surely demand is going to drop for iPhones and iPods when you can get a standard MP3 player or flip phone for much cheaper, though its not as stylish. Opinions?
could be. Depends on how useful they make themselves and how quick they adapt to the new economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,006,164 times
I'm an avid PC user, and I personally don't think Macs are that easy to use and that their products are too expensive for what they do. Despite that, I tend to agree that Apple is not a fad. They have proven themselves time and again that they can deliver innovative products that "others" want to replicate (ie, windows gui elements taken from macs, the wheel interface on the ipods and the zune interface, the ipod color and internal hard drive, the iPhone (samsung touch screen?) and the super thin notebook).

Think of Apple as the company that makes innovative products like the Nintendo Wii. Personally when it first came out I thought it was going to be a fad, but look how well it's done and how it's "broaden" what's considered the gaming market.

As long as they can innovate and find products/services that people want (regardless of price) and deliver them with their "ingenious" marketing then I feel that they'll do fine.

-chuck22b

Old 07-03-2008, 12:31 PM

19,087 posts, read 20,659,578 times
Hehehe... it is a fad for the simple fact that people have been overspending for years... Apple Mac products are way overpriced (hence Apple profits MUCH, MUCH more than a similarly configured PC)... The economy is in a tumble and Apple can forget that huge profit margin, the iPod was nice but that won't change a company into a company that will be forever successful in the future... as I see it, Apple will have about a good 5 years before it dies unless it comes out with something innovative (which may happen) but that won't stop the ultimate destruction of the Mac... any overpriced merchandise will meet its timely end when faced with a competitive product that is cheaper (hence that is why it is a "fad").. I just wished they made something viable to compete with diamonds... so far nothing has panned out, even man-made diamonds are horribly overpriced...

Old 07-03-2008, 12:36 PM

86,068 posts, read 74,739,217 times
Apple fills a niche. They have never been mainstream nor wanted to be. They are not a fad. They are a bit more popular now due to the iPod and iPhone, but macs have been around for years and they have a loyal following of customers.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:49 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,006,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Hehehe... it is a fad for the simple fact that people have been overspending for years... Apple Mac products are way overpriced (hence Apple profits MUCH, MUCH more than a similarly configured PC)... The economy is in a tumble and Apple can forget that huge profit margin, the iPod was nice but that won't change a company into a company that will be forever successful in the future... as I see it, Apple will have about a good 5 years before it dies unless it comes out with something innovative (which may happen) but that won't stop the ultimate destruction of the Mac... any overpriced merchandise will meet its timely end when faced with a competitive product that is cheaper (hence that is why it is a "fad").. I just wished they made something viable to compete with diamonds... so far nothing has panned out, even man-made diamonds are horribly overpriced...
So, why can't Apple just reduce it's margin inline with the economy? It's happened before with the iPhone... I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do that with their other products?
Electronista | Apple slashes $500 from MB Air SSD price

Innovation is a requirement for any business. If Apple doesn't create a new product that people want then it'll get out done by its' competitors. So will the PC manufacturers etc. adaptation to the market is a must.

Apple market share increases:
The Mac approaches 8 percent market share: Is it ready for popularity? | The Open Road - The Business and Politics of Open Source by Matt Asay - CNET News.com
56% Smartphone Buyers Want iPhone 3G -- IPhone -- InformationWeek

Old 07-03-2008, 12:56 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,591,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Don't bother fighting them Niner.....they're always right, and macs have been a fad that's going to disappear since the 80's.

I've done pretty well on the stock I picked up for $14 ($7 when adjusted for the split)
It obvious from the responses to my long post that none of the respondents are actually Mac users. They didn't understand most of what I wrote and just missed the point.

I read recently that the percentage of Macs in the US has doubled over the last few years. It is up to 7% now. Microsoft and Apple have taken so many good ideas from each other that I hope neither of them falters.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Apple fills a niche. They have never been mainstream nor wanted to be. They are not a fad. They are a bit more popular now due to the iPod and iPhone, but macs have been around for years and they have a loyal following of customers.
If its a niche product then so-be-it... but if you were to ask some the posters here, you would get a different answer... They could never make it mainstream, people tend to like the presentation better than the product which is what Mac really is... all for show with nothing different inside, all at a premium price. The are popular now with the iPod and iPhone but competition is killer and I suspect not even the iPod or iPhone can compete with emerging competition... Macs have been around for a long time and they do have a loyal following of customers but as people brighten up and understand that the extra $1000 they spent on the Mac was because it was "showy" and not for any performance improvement, I suspect they will lose customers as well in the long run...

Old 07-03-2008, 01:47 PM

6,987 posts, read 15,763,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
If you've never worked on a Mac then you are not likely to appreciate what I am about to say. I have worked extensively on both and I think I have a good idea why Macs seem easier to use.

1) Most of the programs work the same on a Mac. If you know how to use one program it is easier to learn other one. On Windows programs don't have as consistent a set-up. The big advantage with Windows is the vastly larger amount of software available.

2) The keyboard shortcuts on a Mac make it much faster to move around on. When I watch my employees use Macs that are use to Windows they treat it like Windows. When they watch me they are constantly asking how it am doing things without using the mouse as much. Apple pioneered the mouse but perfected the keyboard shortcut.

3) Surfing the web on a PC - you are much less likely to find sites that are incompatible with your browser. It used to happen all the time on Macs but the newer browsers are pretty good. But every window opens like its own program. So if you are on Firefox and download something then click the X to close Firefox you have to go to the download window and then close that one too. With a Mac it is Apple-Q and done.

4) The programs on a Mac are much more self-contained. (Humanoid will properly scold me here for not using the correct description but I am not a computer guy, really.) How many times have you had a Windows program become unusable because some .dll file is missing. The only thing even close to that I have experienced on a Mac has been with Microsoft products.

5) Anti-virus programs - Sadly the time is coming when Mac users will have to pay attention for viruses. But there really are very few of them at present. (By the way, virus software is extremely user non-friendly. I could not even begin to tell you have Norton and McAfee could be more confusing to purchase and set-up).

6) The way the windows are set-up on a PC is different. The program you are using takes up the entire screen. You can reduce it but then you can't see nearly as much of the program. On a Mac the programs overlap and take up less desktop space while still displaying much more than a comparable Windows window. (If you haven't used a Mac you won't understand this one.)

7) Searching for a particular email or document is much easier on a Mac. With Spotlight it is easy. On a PC you can do a find but it is much slower and it doesn't index the entire computer.

EVERY person I know who has used Mac for a period of time (mostly at work) as a Windows user has converted to a Mac. These are not computer geeks looking to pimp out their system. Nor are they gamers. They are just simple users like I described before.
I am a network administrator and have been so for the last decade. I approve this post! (co-signed)

Old 07-03-2008, 01:52 PM

3,460 posts, read 5,070,768 times
The same arguments apply to BMW.....a car is a car and the Kia has a better warranty

Old 07-03-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
So, why can't Apple just reduce it's margin inline with the economy? It's happened before with the iPhone... I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do that with their other products?
Electronista | Apple slashes $500 from MB Air SSD price

I heard the iPhone did horribly in Europe and so they were slashing prices to stimulate buying as they were releasing a new iPhone soon. If they were going to slash European prices, they were bound to slash American prices as the new iPhone was to be released. I suspect Apple could slash half of their price and still be profitable because their product is that much overpriced (hence its a fad). But I don't think they can go mainstream with software support. I notice that Apple is becoming more and more like a "PC" and I suspect if Apple ever wants to go mainstream (and slash its price) it will become another branded PC like Sony. If that is true, than Mac IS a fad because it didn't last (most fads never last)...

Quote:
Innovation is a requirement for any business. If Apple doesn't create a new product that people want then it'll get out done by its' competitors. So will the PC manufacturers etc. adaptation to the market is a must.

Apple market share increases:
The Mac approaches 8 percent market share: Is it ready for popularity? | The Open Road - The Business and Politics of Open Source by Matt Asay - CNET News.com
56% Smartphone Buyers Want iPhone 3G -- IPhone -- InformationWeek

Agreed! Innovation is survival and any company that can't innovate will be like the dinosaurs. Apple I think has reached its peak in innovation, the only place it can go from here is probably to branch out and "invest" in different products to survive... no new iPhone or iPod will save them...
if I were them I start looking at investing in products of the future cause their current crop of products won't last too long nor will it be profitable enough with the given competition...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics