Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:10 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,234,366 times

Advertisements

I have used Macs since the mid 80's. I started on a 512 that you had to swap a 400k disc back and forth for MacWrite and MacPaint to keep working.

I can count on one hand how many times my mac has crashed since my first one. I just got a new I-mac and love OS10.5 (my old one was 10.3).

That said, my work software only runs on Windows, and I have had Dell laptops for about 5 or so years. I can't remember how many hours I have spent on the phone with tech support, or how many times it has crashed just because it can.

When my Dell finally gives up the ghost, I will probably pay a little more and get a Mac laptop and run Windows for my special software. Yes, I will be running Windows, but somehow I think the basic mac laptop will be a better choice for me.

If AT&T had better service, I would drop Verizon and get an I-phone. Seeing one in action gives me serious phone envy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 08:28 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,141,706 times
Quote:
XP was just a fad.....its obsolete now
Same goes for Vista. I personally don't use Vista because I would have to upgrade other software . Sooner or later I will need to upgrade and that point I will switch.

Quote:
I was at the accountant the other day, and they had to boot up an XP box to print an invoice. It took foreeeeeevvvverrrrrr......
So what? Did you know the specs of the computer? Perhaps it was old? Perhaps they screwed it up? Anyhow, OS X and Windows XP/Vista boot at about the same rate, Linux is a bit slower. But you are free to believe in myths you won't.

Quote:
I can't remember how many hours I have spent on the phone with tech support, or how many times it has crashed just because it can.
You most likely had a cheap laptop, thats not windows fault. For whatever reason dell does not list their quality computers under "home and office" on their website. I suppose because its a bit confusing, as their quality computers are about 20% more for the same specs. Most of the "Home and office" computers dell offers are so-so, with the exception of the XPS. But that is a fairly new line. Also, I should add that laptops 5 years ago were much crappier across the board than they are now. So comparing a 5 year old laptop to one today isn't too meaningful. But if you prefer macs and want to pay the additional cost for one...great.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:39 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,773,411 times
Quote:
You most likely had a cheap laptop
I think he's saying you get what you pay for....but apples cost more so you shouldn't buy them.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:02 PM

955 posts, read 2,153,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post

You most likely had a cheap laptop, thats not windows fault. For whatever reason dell does not list their quality computers under "home and office" on their website. I suppose because its a bit confusing, as their quality computers are about 20% more for the same specs. Most of the "Home and office" computers dell offers are so-so, with the exception of the XPS. But that is a fairly new line. Also, I should add that laptops 5 years ago were much crappier across the board than they are now. So comparing a 5 year old laptop to one today isn't too meaningful. But if you prefer macs and want to pay the additional cost for one...great.
So true. I need a professional grade laptop in my business. We purchase Dell's through a computer consulting company that only caters to business needs. Ours cost about 2K each. I suppose that you can find "something" on Ebay for $300 but for me crashing is not acceptable.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I think he's saying you get what you pay for....but apples cost more so you shouldn't buy them.
Right you do get what you pay for, but in the case of Mac you are paying well beyond what you need to in order to get quality hardware. I wouldn't compare macbrook pro to dell inspiron, the dell inspiron has crappier hardware. But comparing a macbrook pro to a dell latitude is perfectly reasonable. When comparing apples-to-apples as far as quality goes Apple's laptops are around 25% more and their desktop are about 30~50% more depending on the model.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:30 AM

6,566 posts, read 11,225,367 times
Quote:
Right you do get what you pay for, but in the case of Mac you are paying well beyond what you need to in order to get quality hardware. I wouldn't compare macbrook pro to dell inspiron, the dell inspiron has crappier hardware. But comparing a macbrook pro to a dell latitude is perfectly reasonable. When comparing apples-to-apples as far as quality goes Apple's laptops are around 25% more and their desktop are about 30~50% more depending on the model.
Just as I think that its BS to say one is better than the other (it really depends on what you use it for), I think its also BS to say Mac's are way more expensive than they PC counterparts. Your numbers up there don't match what I've seen. Being one of the few Mac users at work, I've always had to justify my purchases.

I just compared a MBP with a Dell M4300 - the Mac is about $230 more (this is with a $200 discount from Dell). I had to add a larger HD on the Dell and make the screen anti-glare to match the Mac's specs. There are a few thing each of them have the other do not (Dell gives you 256MB more non-dedicated video memory, 2.5Ghz vs. 2.4Ghz chip; Mac has bluetooth, Firewire, Expresscard slots, etc.) which I'll just say they even out.

This has been in line with my other researches in the past - (MacPro Quad-Core vs. HP Workstations)... they all come out to the Mac being about 10-15% more expensive. However, (and this is all obviously subjective) the material and craftmanship that you get with the Apple (much more heavy duty and visually more appealing) gets my vote. Not to mention a more stable line of components compared to the Dell's and Gateways.

And this is this deal breaker for me.... I can pay 15% more for a Mac, get VMWare fusion, and I now have a OSX box AND a XP/Vista box running concurrently. And in addition, when it comes time to upgrade the OS... the Mac OS X has been around $100...... How much is Windows? So after one OS upgrade... I'm about even now.

Again, Mac's are NOT better than PC's and vice versa. But Mac are also not OVERPRICED per the popular stigma. I will say that most home users who use a computer simply for e-mail and websurfing are probably wasting their money if they shell out for a brand new Mac. And unfortunantly, all of Apple's entry level systems are crap. Meaning you do not have the ability to upgrade those in the near future as you can with similary priced PC components.

And to the OP's question. I simply do not see a company who's been successful for over 20 years doing what they do to be a fad.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I just compared a MBP with a Dell M4300
Right, you picked the most expensive dell line and compared it to mac. Perhaps this would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that the precisions aren't really made for the general public, feel free to read Dell's "Why Precision Mobile ...":

Why Dell Precision Mobile Workstationsâ„¢

So unless you are working on CAD software and things of that nature, this is a waste of money. Now compare the Latitude with the MacBook Pro and you'll find its roughly 25% less than the Mac. If fact the Latitude is more like 35% cheaper as it comes with a 3 year warranty + on site service, where as this costs $350 for the MacBook Pro. When I purchased about a year ago, I got a latitude for $1500 with what amounts to "apple care" and accidental damage insurance (for 3 years) a mac with the same specs (and warranty) would have cost $2300.

Quote:
But Mac are also not OVERPRICED per the popular stigma.
Anybody that wants to make a serious comparison (i.e., apples-to-apples unlike what you did) will see that Macs are overpriced compared to other PC offerings.

Quote:
I simply do not see a company who's been successful for over 20 years doing what they do to be a fad.
It would help if this was true. Apple almost went out of business. It is only recently that they've done well, largely due to the success of the iPod.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:27 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,030,088 times
Basically, it's the battle of the geeks. You guys might as well be Dungeons and Dragons players or something.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times
There's no winners but there's also no losers. Apple fills a niche for those that want them. Competition is good and variety of choice is even better.

If you want a Mac, then get a Mac..if you want a Dell, then get a Dell.
At least we have the choice.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:09 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,017,888 times
Quote:
So unless you are working on CAD software and things of that nature, this is a waste of money. Now compare the Latitude with the MacBook Pro and you'll find its roughly 25% less than the Mac. If fact the Latitude is more like 35% cheaper as it comes with a 3 year warranty + on site service, where as this costs $350 for the MacBook Pro. When I purchased about a year ago, I got a latitude for $1500 with what amounts to "apple care" and accidental damage insurance (for 3 years) a mac with the same specs (and warranty) would have cost $2300.

Anybody that wants to make a serious comparison (i.e., apples-to-apples unlike what you did) will see that Macs are overpriced compared to other PC offerings.
I don't agree with your numbers, but let's assume they are true. Your assumption then rests on the assumption that the Windows OS is the same as the Mac OS. If I keep my Macbook Pro for 5 years and if I could have bought equivalent hardware for $800 less then that comes out to less that $.44 per day over the life of the computer. That is a small price to pay to not have to deal with Windows every day at home. I have to deal with it enough at work.

You still don't have the credibility with me to criticize Mac OS because I don't believe are familiar enough with the OS to make a judgement. Mac users are much more likely to be familiar with Windows than vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics