U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:02 PM

25,106 posts, read 35,863,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
can you go and build a home in the everglades right now? No, you can not. Why is that?

How close say in Miami can I build a single family home next to the curb and next to the neighbor? which way must the door face? This is just a minor example, if you don't get it, don't worry about it. I don't have the time, or energy to spell it out.
Well - I'm not in Florida so, I am not familiar with their laws -

Here in Arizona though - I bought a piece of land - built my home where I wanted to - period.

As for subdivisions - many areas here have density zoning - we like to build out not up here - we don't like high rise living -

We have home here with horse privileges - we have homes on 1 acre lots - some on 6000 square foot lots.

We have 900 sq ft home being offered - we have some at 12000 sq ft or more (going to a house warming Saturday at a 15,000 sq ft home) -

Depending upon the lot - we can face a home any way we want -

We have zero lot line properties - we have some with 10 foot setbacks (or more) from the lot lines
And so on -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 12:03 PM

2,255 posts, read 4,971,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I still can not get over how much typical middle class people will spend on things and not bat an eyeball.

Have you noticed how almost everyone at the Movie Theatre needs to each get a huge large popcorn and 32 oz drink along with their $11 ticket?

People spend $9.00 for a single beer at the football game

I have friends who go to a coffee bar and spend $7.00 for a fancy Coffee in the morning and in the evening also.

Others go out to lunch and spend $30 at simple places like Ruby Tuesday.

What happened to the middle class lifestyle?
Two years ago my family and I drove up from Gothenborg Sweden to Oslo Norway for a couple of days. The second night there we went out to eat at a nice modest street Cafe and found most of the prices for a meal would have cost us a ittle over $100.00 a piece. I said screw that and we went to a 'Burger King' of all places and spent around $40.00 a piece for their fast food take away and there was four of us.

It was also 'Gay Pride' Festival week there.

Needless to say I don't have fond memories of Oslo Norway.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:06 PM

6,987 posts, read 15,759,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
Wild if you read any of my posts, it does say people need to spend to keep the economy going and it also states people who want to spend have the right to spend as it is their money to spend!

I also stated it is when people who cannot afford to spend do spend and people keeping up w/ others then have financial burdens they cannot carry or maintain, The lifestyles and financial problems then become the problems of others and everyone suffers when they don't pay their bills. Prices go up, people just ignore their bills or go bankrupt or whatever they do to escape the problems that they put themselves in.
Right and thats why I said, they should spend IF they are spending their money and not borrowed "cash". People leveraged to the hilt will hurt this country. I see your point, I think we are on the same page:S

Old 07-03-2008, 12:30 PM

812 posts, read 2,133,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Right and thats why I said, they should spend IF they are spending their money and not borrowed "cash". People leveraged to the hilt will hurt this country. I see your point, I think we are on the same page:S
Okay, sorry, sometimes I can't follow where the thread is going and wonder if I'm making any sense but I know what my point is.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:03 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,538,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm not single - I'm married with two grown children, two grown grandchildren and one great grandchild. And, frankly, I am amazed at all the people who die, with money, and never have had any fun - they are always saving for that "rainy day". Don't misundertstand - saving is fantastic - but there is also a world out there to see and explore.

We have never given up vacations. And since the kids have grown, we take more. We have explored all sorts of this planets riches -

$20 / $30 lunches are not that uncommon - if one goes to a nice place -

Like Speedy - we enjoy our dinners out - it is not rare for us to have a check for 200 / 300 for dinner for just the two of us - We also have had the $10 dinner tabs as well. We love fine food and fine wines.

I have rarely seen these $7.00 coffees however at a coffee house - and we go to various places all the time. Refreshments at a ball park are always going to be on the expensive side - that is a given - and has been that way for decades.

"Eat, Drink and be Merry - For tomorrow you die" is a fine motto - and I try to live by it to the fullest.
Great, no offense, but if I were older, I would live like you do! As it is, we have 3 young children, and the idea of spending $300 on dinner....well, I'd rather put it in a college fund! Besides, I'm a better cook than just about any chef! We live great, but definitely beneath our means.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Great, no offense, but if I were older, I would live like you do! As it is, we have 3 young children, and the idea of spending $300 on dinner....well, I'd rather put it in a college fund! Besides, I'm a better cook than just about any chef! We live great, but definitely beneath our means.
Hi There! I think it's great the way you live, I live that way too! I do however think people like Greatday should spend spend spend! It's what gives people like us who want to be frugal and live below our means the ability to do so. He is contributing to the economy so much more than I am. Someone has to.

If it were not for the ultra wealthy, government contracts, big business, I know my husband wouldn't have job security. Thank goodness the economy is where people still have money that they can spend and the more Greatdays out there to spend the more this economy is going to be okay! We should all be thankful as we all benifit one way or another by people spending.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:00 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,759,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
can we come over for dinner?

Old 07-04-2008, 10:05 AM

Wild, when I took Sociology Spelling, in college, I don't know the accuracy, we learned that when things got really bad one upon a time, they did a study where people who went out to eat tried saving money by cooking at home, they then ended up wasting a lot more money wasting food because a lot of them didn't know how to cook or weren't happy w/ what they cooked. So it isn't always a money saver for those who spend money outside the home to start eating inside the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics