Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,119,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
LOL, they already do!!
With all respect: I built my home where I wanted to. I built it to the design I wanted to. I built it as large as I wanted to (and am enlarging it now again).

I go where I want - when I want. I recreated where and how I want when I want to.

I eat what I want - and how I want

Etc

The other poster wants to take these rights away and have the government decide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,273,087 times
I think it's fine to go out once in awhile and splurge once in awhile just as long as you plan, save, spend. Not everybody has to live the ultra frugal lifestyle, and not everybody should live the ultra lavish lifestyle either. Live within your means, plan for the worse, but spend when necessary.

Without spending any economy would stall just like what we're experiencing now and cause a spiraling downward affect. So I applaud those that can spend and go out, and live their lives in today's economy (as long as they planned, saved, and budgeted it - which sounds like those in this thread have). In fact, these days if your spending now on luxury items, electronics, and other goods you actually get more for your dollar.

The prices of goods got this way because the supply/demand was there and the growth of the upper middle class (there's higher disparity between the poor and rich, but there are more upper middle class now than before). Of course if demand slows, those prices will level down... and of course we have to account for 3-4% inflation.

-chuck22b

Old 07-03-2008, 12:12 PM

812 posts, read 2,300,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
With all respect: I built my home where I wanted to. I built it to the design I wanted to. I built it as large as I wanted to (and am enlarging it now again).

I go where I want - when I want. I recreated where and how I want when I want to.

I eat what I want - and how I want

Etc

The other poster wants to take these rights away and have the government decide
I think people should be frugal who want to and who need to.

You can afford to spend and I say you should and no one has the right to pass judgement on how you spend your money! You need to do what is best for you and and just as no one should look down on people for not having, no one should begrudge those who have. The people who have are the ones who get begrudged more because of utter jelousy and you need to enjoy! More power to you!

Old 07-03-2008, 12:49 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,301,516 times
Quote:
OK - who is going to define or judge if the way I live "negatively impacts the society in which I live"?

Who will come up with those definitions / decisions?
The government

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
People have to contribute to the economy somehow. Not everyone can be the ones to be frugal. For everyone one of us that is frugal, someone has to spend. If we didn't have a balance then no one would be in business. Someone has to spend money. You may chose not to and I may chose not to, but people need to survice nad people need jobs and the economy needs to grow. I say spend, spend spend if you can afford it. Don't look down on anyone and don't spend if you can't afford it and don't try to keep up w/ people if you can't afford it cause then you'll bring down those who can afford it by not being able to pay your bills and prices then go up up up.
Sure, spend IF you have the money. That does not mean spend if you have 10 credit cards. It means, save up and spend with in your means. Our present economy is based on what my tag says (Surf Debt, neo feudalism) that is the present economy we have. It is based on faux wealth and keeping people in a perpetual debt which amounts to serfdom. So a lot of stores will need to go out of business when this is all said and done. Why, because they were belt based on a economic system that used debt as a driving force for good and services. When this faux money (debt) dries up, then those business can no longer be supported.

Just so I can make it clear.

Jane makes 100 dollars a week. Jane WANTS to spend 200 dollar a week. Jane gets credit card. Jane spends 200 dollars a week. Because of Janes spending Chez Faux restaurant is able to open up on the corner because there are now 1,000 janes spending 200 dollars a week but earning 100 dollars a week. CC company calls all the janes up and says hey, your not paying your monthly anymore and we want our money. All 1,000 janes say "we don't have it, we only make 100 dollars a week and our expenses are 150, where am I going to get the extra money to pay you guys back and everyone else".

CC company then gets in trouble because they don't have

I heard a interesting fact the other day. They said people who made under the equivalent of 100,000 dollar back during WWI time didn't pay taxes. Just shows you how far and how low our economy has sank.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
You cannot be serious - you honestly want the government to tell you how you are to live your life? Where you can live? What kind of home you can have? What kind of food you can eat?

You can honestly say, you want this?
you are being a extremist. Nothing I am proposing is any different from what is being done now, just more so.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
The government
Do you favor having the Government decide where one can live and how they should live?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
you are being a extremist. Nothing I am proposing is any different from what is being done now, just more so.
Extremist? Nope.

None of what you "propose" impacted any decisions I or others make.

Do you favor the government deciding how big of a house you can have? This is what YOU wrote:
If living the way you want to negatively impacts the society in which you live, then NO, you should not be able to live that way.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:56 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I still can not get over how much typical middle class people will spend on things and not bat an eyeball.

Have you noticed how almost everyone at the Movie Theatre needs to each get a huge large popcorn and 32 oz drink along with their $11 ticket?

People spend $9.00 for a single beer at the football game

I have friends who go to a coffee bar and spend $7.00 for a fancy Coffee in the morning and in the evening also.

Others go out to lunch and spend $30 at simple places like Ruby Tuesday.

What happened to the middle class lifestyle?
im right here im not doing any of that stuff and that is why i could retire early.
here is my commuter vehicle

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 07-03-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Extremist? Nope.

None of what you "propose" impacted any decisions I or others make.

Do you favor the government deciding how big of a house you can have? This is what YOU wrote:
If living the way you want to negatively impacts the society in which you live, then NO, you should not be able to live that way.
can you go and build a home in the everglades right now? No, you can not. Why is that?

How close say in Miami can I build a single family home next to the curb and next to the neighbor? which way must the door face? This is just a minor example, if you don't get it, don't worry about it. I don't have the time, or energy to spell it out.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:00 PM

812 posts, read 2,300,700 times
Wild if you read any of my posts, it does say people need to spend to keep the economy going and it also states people who want to spend have the right to spend as it is their money to spend!

I also stated it is when people who cannot afford to spend do spend and people keeping up w/ others then have financial burdens they cannot carry or maintain, The lifestyles and financial problems then become the problems of others and everyone suffers when they don't pay their bills. Prices go up, people just ignore their bills or go bankrupt or whatever they do to escape the problems that they put themselves in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics