Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:05 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
You hit it right dead on the head in Indiana Steve. I do as well think some government could be more efficient privatized but when it deals with people's health I don't think the bid contract is the way to go. Plus I heard this outfit running IN's Medicaid already did so in other states and failed so why did IN hire them????? Money, greed I don't know it just shames me to know my state did it the way they did.
Government running anything is generally not a good thing. Neither is incompetent and greedy private operators. But remember who is letting the contracts, that's right, government agencies who have a vested interest in the privatization effort "blowing up" and then bellowing a big "I told you so"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 10:51 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
Our local gov't is seriously considering going to the 4X10 hours work week. We are going to work M-F 8 am. to 6:30 p.m. with 30 mins for lunch. If we get a holiday on a Friday...like today for instance, we would earn 8 hours of comp time to be used as time off in the future. That's how we did it in my last municipal job where we flexed it by doing the 44-36 work period (we got every other friday off) I loved it. I am looking forward to working this new 4X10 hours week. YAY Every Friday off. I hope the City Council approves it. And we would only be open 1.5 hours extra per day. That's 6 hours per week versus 8 and the a/c or heater would already be running. Plus no city vehicles would be out on Friday saving quite a bit on fuel (except police and fire they don't go into this new deal) And I for one would use my day off by cleaning my house and staying home. I would save a ton on ga$$.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Our local gov't is seriously considering going to the 4X10 hours work week. We are going to work M-F 8 am. to 6:30 p.m. with 30 mins for lunch. If we get a holiday on a Friday...like today for instance, we would earn 8 hours of comp time to be used as time off in the future. That's how we did it in my last municipal job where we flexed it by doing the 44-36 work period (we got every other friday off) I loved it. I am looking forward to working this new 4X10 hours week. YAY Every Friday off. I hope the City Council approves it. And we would only be open 1.5 hours extra per day. That's 6 hours per week versus 8 and the a/c or heater would already be running. Plus no city vehicles would be out on Friday saving quite a bit on fuel (except police and fire they don't go into this new deal) And I for one would use my day off by cleaning my house and staying home. I would save a ton on ga$$.
By your posting of working a 4X10 hour work week Monday-Friday and still have the offices open 5 days/week, I'm assuming that some people will be working Monday-Thursday and other people will be working Tuesday-Friday, is that correct? That would differ from the State Of Utah which is working all affected offices Monday-Thursday, 10 hours/day and closed on Friday.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:28 PM

395 posts, read 859,655 times
I for one see this as a sign of great things to come. I mean it's a real measure that will actually help bring transit cost's by 20 percent for everyone involved not to mention more productive leisure time.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Starting next month, thousands of government employees will only work 4 days per week, in an effort aimed at reducing energy costs and commuters' gasoline expenses.

Utah is going to a 4-day workweek to save energy - Jul. 3, 2008 (broken link)
This only works if people stay home the 5th day.. which they dont.. They get in their car and drive the 5th day.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I am all for getting lazy bums off the government systems but when folks have no other resource and have to depend on that system don't come to Indiana. It is wrong when a private company is profitting off the needs meant for ones that truly depend on it and deserve it. Why should a CEO rake in $130K for a salary when SS or SSI is expecting people on their rolls to live on under $700 per month income?
I'm a little confused, what does a CEO income, have at all to do with those who are on SS or SSI? Last I checked a CEO gets up and goes to work, while the SSI/SSI recipient relies on the CEO to pay taxes so they can collect their welfare check of $700 a month. Without the CEO paying taxes, the SS/SSI recipient receives $0..

Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This only works if people stay home the 5th day.. which they dont.. They get in their car and drive the 5th day.
or maybe, just maybe, get off their lard ass and . . . .

walk to the park, or
go for a bike ride, or
work in their garden.

on and on . . . .

wait, can't do any of THAT. Gotta, gotta, gotta go to any store with the word Dollar in the name and buy some crap from China.

Come on $10 a gallon gas! Can't get here soon enough

Old 07-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm a little confused, what does a CEO income, have at all to do with those who are on SS or SSI? Last I checked a CEO gets up and goes to work, while the SSI/SSI recipient relies on the CEO to pay taxes so they can collect their welfare check of $700 a month. Without the CEO paying taxes, the SS/SSI recipient receives $0..
Yeah..., and when the company "tanks", the CEO gets the very generous "golden parachute" and SS/SSI recipient gets a kick in the a**! Let me guess, a right wingnut?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
or maybe, just maybe, get off their lard ass and . . . .

walk to the park, or
go for a bike ride, or
work in their garden.

on and on . . . .

wait, can't do any of THAT. Gotta, gotta, gotta go to any store with the word Dollar in the name and buy some crap from China.

Come on $10 a gallon gas! Can't get here soon enough
Good post, thanks!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Yeah..., and when the company "tanks", the CEO gets the very generous "golden parachute" and SS/SSI recipient gets a kick in the a**! Let me guess, a right wingnut?
When a company tanks and the CEO gets a golden parachute, its TAXED... meaning more money to the SS/SSI "bank"... And then the CEO goes out and gets another job... paying MORE in taxes.

Let me guess, someone who suffers from class envy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics