Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
When a company tanks and the CEO gets a golden parachute, its TAXED... meaning more money to the SS/SSI "bank"... And then the CEO goes out and gets another job... paying MORE in taxes.

Let me guess, someone who suffers from class envy?
Think so? Think again! These "golden parachutes" are structured in such a way to be of a minimal of taxable income to the departing CEO with all kinks of tax shelters, deferred payments, etc. CEO's that get these "golden parachutes" often go into "retirement" and never need to work again! Why do you think that corps. have all those accountants and tax attorneys for, to look good at the corporate Christmas party!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 10:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Think so? Think again! These "golden parachutes" are structured in such a way to be of a minimal of taxable income to the departing CEO with all kinks of tax shelters, deferred payments, etc. CEO's that get these "golden parachutes" often go into "retirement" and never need to work again! Why do you think that corps. have all those accountants and tax attorneys for, to look good at the corporate Christmas party!
Where are you getting this bs from?

Corporations have accountants and tax attorneys because the government FORCES them to.. jees.. you think they want to pay all of this extra money from their profits?

Old 07-08-2008, 02:37 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
I'm a little confused, what does a CEO income, have at all to do with those who are on SS or SSI? Last I checked a CEO gets up and goes to work, while the SSI/SSI recipient relies on the CEO to pay taxes so they can collect their welfare check of $700 a month. Without the CEO paying taxes, the SS/SSI recipient receives $0..
I shouldn't have put SS in my post because those are earning from when people were working or widows drawing off a spouse's earnings usually. Here in Indiana they have privatized Medicaid which has a large number of SSI receivers on it. SSI from what I have been told is usually given when not enough earnings have been paid into SS, the person is too young for SS or has a disability that might have a recovery from. (yes there are many on it that shouldn't be but that wasn't my point)

The CEO of this private company is making well over $130K plus hefty bennies while his company is rejecting people that is their only resource. Doctors are forming committees to look into the high salaries of "health management" personnel when patients in nursing homes, elderly or disabled people are being turned away or booted out of the system. Or given sub care, older types of medications because they are cheaper and far below fair reimbursements to the doctors still accepting Medicaid patients. Medicaid/SSI are two programs that are geared to help the ones that can no longer support themselves. Because of wide spread years of abuse to the system and higher & higher salaries to management personnel funds have to be coming from somewhere right? As our population ages and more businesses closing or going overseas more people find themselves at the mercy of these types of programs. If the management company is paying high salaries then it only stands to reason ones needing the help are going to be on the even shorter stick. Yes?

Tell me could you live on $632 per month? I know I couldn't. Greed and entitlement is what has ruined our country in my opinion.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I shouldn't have put SS in my post because those are earning from when people were working or widows drawing off a spouse's earnings usually. Here in Indiana they have privatized Medicaid which has a large number of SSI receivers on it. SSI from what I have been told is usually given when not enough earnings have been paid into SS, the person is too young for SS or has a disability that might have a recovery from. (yes there are many on it that shouldn't be but that wasn't my point)

The CEO of this private company is making well over $130K plus hefty bennies while his company is rejecting people that is their only resource. Doctors are forming committees to look into the high salaries of "health management" personnel when patients in nursing homes, elderly or disabled people are being turned away or booted out of the system. Or given sub care, older types of medications because they are cheaper and far below fair reimbursements to the doctors still accepting Medicaid patients. Medicaid/SSI are two programs that are geared to help the ones that can no longer support themselves. Because of wide spread years of abuse to the system and higher & higher salaries to management personnel funds have to be coming from somewhere right? As our population ages and more businesses closing or going overseas more people find themselves at the mercy of these types of programs. If the management company is paying high salaries then it only stands to reason ones needing the help are going to be on the even shorter stick. Yes?

Tell me could you live on $632 per month? I know I couldn't. Greed and entitlement is what has ruined our country in my opinion.
Your confusing the issue and I'm not sure it isnt on purpose.

Medicaid throught the country has been privatized, but your equating that the CEO's of the privatized companies are deciding who gets medicaid. Thats not how it works. The government sets the standards and provides the Medicaid companies a list of indidivuals that they need to cover and what benefits they will receive. To blame the CEO for denying coverage of those that the government says dont qualify is simply not accurate.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Your confusing the issue and I'm not sure it isnt on purpose.

Medicaid throught the country has been privatized, but your equating that the CEO's of the privatized companies are deciding who gets medicaid. Thats not how it works. The government sets the standards and provides the Medicaid companies a list of indidivuals that they need to cover and what benefits they will receive. To blame the CEO for denying coverage of those that the government says dont qualify is simply not accurate.
Indiana just privatized Medicaid this past Oct. The first part of your post I highlighted is the problem yes. The second part I have to question because from my inquiries I have been told the private companies pay the state x amount of dollars in order to receive the contract. Then the company has the control to keep benefits going or allowing new clients. There are cases of where people for years were eligible for the benefits then all of a sudden booted out. Not people millking the system people with real disabilities etc., the milkers always seem to find a way around any system to remain on the programs don't they?

Yes the private company has guidelines they have to follow but mickey mousing around with saying they aren't receiving paper work then booting people off repeatedly raises a red flag in my face sorry. I bet the CEO didn't lose sleep over people losing benefits meaning no medication, no treatments, no medical care for many months want to take that bet?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:03 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The private sector (hospitals, insurance companies, drug suppliers etc) should be completely removed from the health care system. Providing health care for the entire, not just the healthy, population is too expensive to waste any funding on private profit or corporate executives.
OP - A four day work week is a great idea so long as the pay stays the same even if the hours are reduced.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The private sector (hospitals, insurance companies, drug suppliers etc) should be completely removed from the health care system. Providing health care for the entire, not just the healthy, population is too expensive to waste any funding on private profit or corporate executives.
OP - A four day work week is a great idea so long as the pay stays the same even if the hours are reduced.

Thank you Greg that was my point on private health care providers.

I also thought about how off topic I have become after my last post on this thread please forgive me OP and mods.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Indiana just privatized Medicaid this past Oct. The first part of your post I highlighted is the problem yes. The second part I have to question because from my inquiries I have been told the private companies pay the state x amount of dollars in order to receive the contract. Then the company has the control to keep benefits going or allowing new clients. There are cases of where people for years were eligible for the benefits then all of a sudden booted out. Not people millking the system people with real disabilities etc., the milkers always seem to find a way around any system to remain on the programs don't they?

Yes the private company has guidelines they have to follow but mickey mousing around with saying they aren't receiving paper work then booting people off repeatedly raises a red flag in my face sorry. I bet the CEO didn't lose sleep over people losing benefits meaning no medication, no treatments, no medical care for many months want to take that bet?
You have this backwards.
The CEO's put bids out to the states to agree to pay for insurance for x # of individuals. The state collects taxes and provides a list to the states daily as to who to cover and who to drop (by daily tape files), and cuts a check to the privatized companies on a monthly basis.

The companies doing the insuring have absolutely no control over who gets coverage, they simply cut costs and profit from the spread in newly negotiated contracts with providers (because the state cant negotiate legally for individual services without putting each one up for bid)..

Old 07-08-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Yes, a 4 day work week is fantastic, but to do it because your hoping to save money on gas actually has the opposite affect because people just get in their car on the 5th day, go to the doctors and do other activities which use more gas then had one simply gone to work.

Saving energy on the building expense, that would work if you were shutting the buildings down the 5th day but I dont think thats whats happening here.. People are just rotating shifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics