Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:23 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times

Advertisements

Drivers’ Strike Stalls New York City Construction

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/02/nyregion/02concrete.html

Mr. Greco, who is also the secretary-treasurer of the Greco Brothers Concrete Corporation, said that under the expired contract, drivers earned $33.11 an hour, rising to $59.01 when health insurance, pension contributions and other benefits are included.

He said the union earlier this week demanded raises of $5 an hour in the overall compensation package each year for three years, although the union did not specify how much would go to wages and how much to benefits..

I did not know concrete truck drivers made that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 05:24 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Strikes are good for a last resort but unions have been abusing them for ages. Hopefully, Unions will begin to phase out in the next decade or so.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:06 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Strikes are good for a last resort but unions have been abusing them for ages. Hopefully, Unions will begin to phase out in the next decade or so.

Yeah, because businessmen have miraculously changed their nature and are now selfless, generous and driven by motives of love for their fellow man and deep concern for their workers. ?!?

Employers have been abusing workers for ages and will continue to do so unless stopped by unions or government. We need unions more than ever now to organize the jobs that can't leave the country, baristas at Starbucks for instance. I think those people should be making $25 an hour.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:14 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,080 times
Unions serve a purpose but too many people forget that they are as "greedy" and "amoral" as the companies the organize against. They have become a type of the big businesses they vilify.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:32 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times
Let the free market work. Unions and employers balance each other out. Ultimately, the increase in the power of unions will send jobs overseas and/or put companies out of business. Unemployment = a loss for the union bosses (well, not really. We'll just subsidize their losses the good ole American way. actually a vicious cycle of more taxes on the "rich" to pay for everyone that became unemployed due to greedy union bosses, creating a downward spiral for the whole economy, more illegal alien/non union member hiring, more jobs lost, more jobs overseas, and less government revenue, ect.) Wage price spiral anyone? I think we are heading there. Ultimately, a totalitarian statist will come to power, oppress people like King George did with the American colonies, and we'll have a second enlightenment. "Radicals" with ideas such as individualism, self government, less taxation, and free markets will rise and history will repeat itself all over again.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:56 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Strikes should be the last tool in a negotiation, and used when serious issues are ignored. Too often strikes happen because someone is trying to make a power play.

However in the case of being locked in a facility (oil/Chemical plants), unions can lose leverage when the non-union staff can run the plant. Usually there are some bumps the first couple months though. Been there.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:15 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, because businessmen have miraculously changed their nature and are now selfless, generous and driven by motives of love for their fellow man and deep concern for their workers. ?!?

Employers have been abusing workers for ages and will continue to do so unless stopped by unions or government. We need unions more than ever now to organize the jobs that can't leave the country, baristas at Starbucks for instance. I think those people should be making $25 an hour.
Funny enough, there are plenty of business out there that have the welfare of society in mind. You just don't hear about them because they don't make a good a story as "<insert Fortune 500 company here>'s CEO just bankrupted the company!"

And I really don't think someone making my coffee should be paid $25 an hour. Sorry.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:59 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Funny enough, there are plenty of business out there that have the welfare of society in mind. You just don't hear about them because they don't make a good a story as "<insert Fortune 500 company here>'s CEO just bankrupted the company!"

And I really don't think someone making my coffee should be paid $25 an hour. Sorry.

It's OK for you to make $25 an hour though? Unlike you I don't put a limit on what people are worth, I figure if a person works hard they should be able to live well no matter what it is they do. It's called putting a value on hard work.

I look at it this way. The manufacturing jobs that made American workers economically middle class have largely left the country. And companies like Starbucks and Wal Mart are now as important to the economy as GM, Ford and US Steel used to be. So if Starbucks is as important as US Steel used to be then they should be paying the kind of money US Steel used to pay. And Starbucks can't ship their barista jobs to China.

If this wage deficet caused by outsourcing jobs isn't made up American workers will slip from the economic middle class and become bitter and hopeless. Revolution won't be far behind.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Crush the real estate bubble and inflation, then raises will not be necessary. Remove Governmental barriers to small business and let the underpaid workers make real progress. Get the government out of health care.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:15 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,920 times
Unions used to be a good thing in worker protection, nowadays unions are a joke, i used to be a union man but have no use for them anymore, most companies have the unions in there back pocket.

Unions negotiate higher wages, better benefits, in return the union dues go up, union man has a grevance, the union simply tells the worker well there isn't much we can do about that the company can do that so we won't really push the issue.

Higher wages mean consumer goods raise in price, who pays it the union worker and all of us, benefit premiums are going thru the roof, more workers having to pay more total out of pocket, were did the raise go hmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics