U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:20 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,590,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I heard somebody on CNBC say yesterday that if oil prices remain even at these levels, we are about 3 months away from a complete economic meltdown.
Don't believe everything you hear. There will be changes but they will be good ones. People will conserve more and more. But more significantly we will start accessing our own resources and development of alternatives will accelerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 04:28 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,392,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Don't believe everything you hear. There will be changes but they will be good ones. People will conserve more and more. But more significantly we will start accessing our own resources and development of alternatives will accelerate.
I don't know about you, but I feel like I am under house arrest. I miss the freedom to be able to get in the car and go somewhere if I need to or want to. What we need in the US are walkable communities with everything you need within walking distance or a SHORT drive. These "New Urbanist" developments haven't yet made it to the small cities of the South yet. Here in Little Rock, they are still building strip mall after strip mall but absolutely NO new-urbanist development. There is only two historic walkable communities in this town, and both of them are very expensive to live in. Right now, everything is dependent on the automobile and its hurting bad.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:37 PM

By the way, I predict oil will hit $150 tomorrow. $170 by the end of next week, and $200 by the end of the month. If Iran is attacked $400 isn't out of the question.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I feel like I am under house arrest. I miss the freedom to be able to get in the car and go somewhere if I need to or want to. What we need in the US are walkable communities with everything you need within walking distance or a SHORT drive. These "New Urbanist" developments haven't yet made it to the small cities of the South yet. Here in Little Rock, they are still building strip mall after strip mall but absolutely NO new-urbanist development. There is only two historic walkable communities in this town, and both of them are very expensive to live in. Right now, everything is dependent on the automobile and its hurting bad.
That will probably be one of the things that changes as time goes on.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
By the way, I predict oil will hit $150 tomorrow. $170 by the end of next week, and $200 by the end of the month. If Iran is attacked $400 isn't out of the question.
Weren't you predicting $150 oil to happen a couple of weeks ago? While I often agree with your posts your oil price predictions have often been incorrect and, at times, alarmist. There really is no basis for this prediction. Conversely there is no basis to say you are definitely going to be wrong. The truth is that no one knows and that, in itself, is adding to rising prices.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:03 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,005,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Weren't you predicting $150 oil to happen a couple of weeks ago? While I often agree with your posts your oil price predictions have often been incorrect and, at times, alarmist. There really is no basis for this prediction. Conversely there is no basis to say you are definitely going to be wrong. The truth is that no one knows and that, in itself, is adding to rising prices.

The media and analysts have that affect on people... we're all on our edges these days

Old 07-11-2008, 06:07 AM

Oil back at $146. $150 today is almost certain now. Mark my words. $170 next week. $200 by the end of the month. There is no stopping this party.

Its going to be a day of high fives on wall street and expensive parties for investors, while its cornbread, ramen noodles, and cheap beer at home for the rest of us because we can't afford to drive to go out.

Last edited by bchris02; 07-11-2008 at 06:22 AM..

Old 07-11-2008, 06:44 AM

681 posts, read 2,621,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The oil bubble is FINALLY bursting! Oil is down over $9 in just 2 days and expected to fall further this week. The markets rallied today for the first time in awhile. Have we finally hit bottom??
No, Kev, we haven't. Read today's news. If oil is going to come down, it isn't going to happen yet and it isn't going to happen through any means that the USA has been implementing right now. The Arab oil-producing countries were all too happy to get us addicted to cheap oil only to gorge on high oil prices at a time like this.

For oil to come down, one or more of the following things will have to happen:

1) People will have to give up driving.

2) People will have to give up complaining about the erection of wind farms and solar farms within their field of vision when they look out their back windows.

3) People will have to switch from oil-burning furnaces and go with coal or wood.

4) The USA will have to bomb the ever-loving tar out of the Arab oil-producing countries... and go in and take their oil by force. (Don't think it can't be done. The only reason why we haven't done this yet is because the USA has a psychosis about having to stay the peacekeeper, police force, and general "nice guy" of the world. If we didn't care about who liked us and who didn't, we'd have gas at 80 cents per gallon right now.)

Old 07-11-2008, 09:08 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,738,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
No, Kev, we haven't. Read today's news. If oil is going to come down, it isn't going to happen yet and it isn't going to happen through any means that the USA has been implementing right now. The Arab oil-producing countries were all too happy to get us addicted to cheap oil only to gorge on high oil prices at a time like this.

For oil to come down, one or more of the following things will have to happen:

1) People will have to give up driving.

2) People will have to give up complaining about the erection of wind farms and solar farms within their field of vision when they look out their back windows.

3) People will have to switch from oil-burning furnaces and go with coal or wood.

4) The USA will have to bomb the ever-loving tar out of the Arab oil-producing countries... and go in and take their oil by force. (Don't think it can't be done. The only reason why we haven't done this yet is because the USA has a psychosis about having to stay the peacekeeper, police force, and general "nice guy" of the world. If we didn't care about who liked us and who didn't, we'd have gas at 80 cents per gallon right now.)
A little drastic, perhaps. I think folks simply need to re-adjust their consumption habits. Drive less. Live more simply. Conservation costs nothing, and would easily solve our predicament if it were adopted on a grand scale...but that'll never happen. My best guess is costs will continue the upward swing, and we will become a nation of haves and have-nots, and the have-nots are going to form angry mobs....

The Sheeple don't want to give up this instant-gratification lifestyle here in America...easy motoring, easy access to everything...we like our oversized houses, vehicles, and waistlines. The status quo persists until we get smacked upside the head again...it's just a matter of when, where, and how.

"Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down..."

Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 AM

86,068 posts, read 74,672,087 times
The oil companies aren't doing this. WAKE UP..the new upcoming countries (India & China) are consuming MORE. We did this to ourselves. Almost everything is offshored now and it costs gas to ship the raw goods over and ship the finished products back.

Instant gratification made the railroads fall into disrepair while airlines had a flight leaving every 10 minutes for the same damn city.

There was no forward thinking on the part of either the government or the corporations..they all lived for today and didn't plan for tomorrow.

Well tomorrow is here and now we will have to pay the price.

Bombing and plundering the Middle East will NOT put us back to the "happy times".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics