U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 PM

655 posts, read 758,004 times

Advertisements

A true American this man is. Old, past his prime, made his money and is about to unveil a plan with his own money at risk to help America get through this energy crisis.

If this man's history speaks of what he is about to present, it should be chalk full of good ideas. We need more like him to step up to the plate and take a swing. I've actually met Mr. Pickens at Texas wedding a decade ago. Very down to earth, nice person. Would sit and chat with anyone, even us laymen. This is the attitude we all need to star having in this country instead sitting on our fat butts and whinnying about crap. It won't solve anything. I've been guity of it myself, but have now realized, this does not do any good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 08:38 PM

3,460 posts, read 5,072,134 times
His plan will do a lot of good.....if the politicians let it.

I'm still waiting to see the first natural gas plug-in hybrid, or at least a diesel hybrid.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:18 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,855,022 times
I think it is an alright idea. Then again, Boone Pickens has a lot of his investment portfolio in natural gas and wind. He is building the world's largest wind power plant.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:27 PM

5,472 posts, read 21,912,192 times
"Don't get the idea that I've turned green," Pickens tells the Guardian in the Dallas offices of his new venture Mesa Power. "My business is making money, and I think this is going to make a lot of money."

His fascination with wind developed as Pickens engaged in his favourite leisure pursuit - quail hunting. For years he has been shooting Bobwhite quail on his 68,000-acre ranch in the panhandle. "I've been hunting quail for 50 years, I know where the wind is," Pickens says. ‘

Texas has a unique environment with an isolated grid and West Texas is baron enough that getting right of way for this project is not an issue. Pickens is advertising in a campaign to get long term tax incentives.

The natural gas twist is a way to make it apply to the current transportation fuel issue since wind does not help.

Nothing wrong with the idea but nothing revolutionary either. But a good PR pitch!

Old 07-10-2008, 02:50 AM

655 posts, read 758,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
"Don't get the idea that I've turned green," Pickens tells the Guardian in the Dallas offices of his new venture Mesa Power. "My business is making money, and I think this is going to make a lot of money."

His fascination with wind developed as Pickens engaged in his favourite leisure pursuit - quail hunting. For years he has been shooting Bobwhite quail on his 68,000-acre ranch in the panhandle. "I've been hunting quail for 50 years, I know where the wind is," Pickens says. ‘

Texas has a unique environment with an isolated grid and West Texas is baron enough that getting right of way for this project is not an issue. Pickens is advertising in a campaign to get long term tax incentives.

The natural gas twist is a way to make it apply to the current transportation fuel issue since wind does not help.

Nothing wrong with the idea but nothing revolutionary either. But a good PR pitch!
Again, at least he is putting his $ where his mouth is. And at least he wil willing to do something about other then cry about it.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:51 AM

48,509 posts, read 86,173,019 times
I thnik kis plan to change our use of different energy makes alot of sense. basically the biggest part is to switch natural gas to transportation use more and to grandually go to nuclkear energy. Evenually all NG to transpaotation. It is alrady perfect easy to convert and widely distributed already. Just ifrst switching things like governamnt vehicles to include trasdh and garbage trucks is easy.There is alot more natural ga coming on li ewith LNG now .He also says qwe need to use wind power and others until thnigs like nuc;ear come on line. The problem is that congress'especailly the democrats;have block evrythig for years ;and use political rethoric to please their specail interest groups that donate so much money to their campaigns.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:11 PM

5,472 posts, read 21,912,192 times
FOXNews.com - Junk Science: The Wind Cries 'Bailout!' - Opinion

Old 07-11-2008, 09:36 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,740,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I think it is an alright idea. Then again, Boone Pickens has a lot of his investment portfolio in natural gas and wind. He is building the world's largest wind power plant.
Yep, my first thought....he's got financial interests riding on 'his plan', naturally. And wouldn't it be nice to hear McSame or Oh-Bama talk about a real energy plan rather than the mealy-mouthed pander-fest we're stuck with at the moment.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:40 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,592,974 times
Who cares if he stands to make money from this? In the quest for alternative energy someone is going to make money in the process of selling alternatives. If Pickens is willing to risk some money on a PR campaign then he has something to lose as well as gain.

I appreciate that he is showing some initiative. We are in desperate need of leadership on the energy issue.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:03 PM

33 posts, read 162,454 times
Default I agree

I too have met T. Boone in person and we've chatted and he is genuine.
I'm sure he was ruthless and brutal 25 years ago but that was then - he made his money - and now gives hundreds of millions away regularly.

He doesn't need money - so his credibility is peerless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
A true American this man is. Old, past his prime, made his money and is about to unveil a plan with his own money at risk to help America get through this energy crisis.

If this man's history speaks of what he is about to present, it should be chalk full of good ideas. We need more like him to step up to the plate and take a swing. I've actually met Mr. Pickens at Texas wedding a decade ago. Very down to earth, nice person. Would sit and chat with anyone, even us laymen. This is the attitude we all need to star having in this country instead sitting on our fat butts and whinnying about crap. It won't solve anything. I've been guity of it myself, but have now realized, this does not do any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics