U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think your job is immediately threatened?
Yes 9 11.69%
No 55 71.43%
I lost my job and can't find another one 10 12.99%
Unemployed but not looking 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 05:06 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,945,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
that's the spirit!

weather chages, fertilizer, expensive? what an absolute load of horse manure! imo it sounds as if someone doesn't want to get off their behind. sorry that is my opinion. i'm sure that 90% of people reading this would agree with me.

(maybe i should start a poll)
No reason to get nasty.

I am merely relating my experience.

I do not have a lot of property. I like that half my yard is trees, sheltering the house from the blistering summer sun.

So, the small amount that gets sun makes for a very small and not cost effective garden. I prefer the produce that I grow myself, but with the mulch and fertilizer and frost baffles, etc, it is for me, an expensive hobby.

I even purchased a lighting system to start seeds indoors, with little heat pads to keep roots warm. I think the heat worked well, but the lighting system still produced spindly plants.

To top that, we are retiring soon and will move to a condo. We will have a solarium and I will do some planting there, but again, everything in pots in a controlled environment. As is the case where we now live, I could hardly grow enough there to be a serious contribution to our diets.

And the weather is becoming more and more irratic. It seems as though every year people in my area are complaining that their gardens are not doing well because of this. So, every year the yield becomes questionable and the gardens become less cost effective.

We have longer lasting, wilder storms, and more of them. The summers are patching. Sometimes it will rain for a week straight and encourage fungus.

My next step would be a greenhouse, but it would take up half the yard
and ruin the resale value of our house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 04:10 AM

3,283 posts, read 4,757,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
No reason to get nasty.

I am merely relating my experience.

I do not have a lot of property. I like that half my yard is trees, sheltering the house from the blistering summer sun.

So, the small amount that gets sun makes for a very small and not cost effective garden. I prefer the produce that I grow myself, but with the mulch and fertilizer and frost baffles, etc, it is for me, an expensive hobby.

I even purchased a lighting system to start seeds indoors, with little heat pads to keep roots warm. I think the heat worked well, but the lighting system still produced spindly plants.

To top that, we are retiring soon and will move to a condo. We will have a solarium and I will do some planting there, but again, everything in pots in a controlled environment. As is the case where we now live, I could hardly grow enough there to be a serious contribution to our diets.

And the weather is becoming more and more irratic. It seems as though every year people in my area are complaining that their gardens are not doing well because of this. So, every year the yield becomes questionable and the gardens become less cost effective.

We have longer lasting, wilder storms, and more of them. The summers are patching. Sometimes it will rain for a week straight and encourage fungus.

My next step would be a greenhouse, but it would take up half the yard
and ruin the resale value of our house.

nasty??????
whatever you say. as for the rest of your diatribe, i don't really know if it's worth responding to.....

what the heck i will anyway.

these are trying times in our country. we are confronted with extreme economic, environmental and social issues. there are many people who are battling to make ends meet. some people are battling to pay energy bills, some food, some are battling obesity, unruly kids blah blah i could go on all day blah blah. i proposed a potential solution to these problems and offered up my own experince as an example of the benefits i experienced.
i am not retarded and therefore can appreciate that my solutions cannot be applied to everyone. they nevertheless can be applied to many people. i didn't ask for an excuse from every tom, dick and sally why my potential solution wouldn't work under their circumstances. if i did i might get 500000 replies from apartment owners in manhattan.

if you can't plant anything, then don't. but don't write a load of crap to dissuade others from trying to improve their situation! too expensive! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
nasty??????
whatever you say. as for the rest of your diatribe, i don't really know if it's worth responding to.....

what the heck i will anyway.

these are trying times in our country. we are confronted with extreme economic, environmental and social issues. there are many people who are battling to make ends meet. some people are battling to pay energy bills, some food, some are battling obesity, unruly kids blah blah i could go on all day blah blah. i proposed a potential solution to these problems and offered up my own experince as an example of the benefits i experienced.
i am not retarded and therefore can appreciate that my solutions cannot be applied to everyone. they nevertheless can be applied to many people. i didn't ask for an excuse from every tom, dick and sally why my potential solution wouldn't work under their circumstances. if i did i might get 500000 replies from apartment owners in manhattan.

if you can't plant anything, then don't. but don't write a load of crap to dissuade others from trying to improve their situation! too expensive! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
What, you own stock in Home Depot, or a Garden Nursery perhaps? I am not trying to discourage any would-be farmers out there. The Victory Garden concept is a good one, but I do not often see postings stating how expensive and inefficient it is for a small gardener or for one who just does not have the free time to putter in a garden.

For most people, if they can and must, they probably would do better by taking a part-time job for the time they spend in their gardens. Unless you have the money and a goodly plot and the time and inclination, growing things, although at face value it seems like a good idea, is not really much of a solution.

I hear these doom and gloom people trying to set people in a panic. Some of them are selling gold - during the Y2k non-happening they were selling survival supplies of one sort or another.

I have heard such people and their followers talking about how they have stored up food and water, etc. The funny thing is, with the increased storms and floods and earthquakes and tsunamis they predict it would seem much of the population would have to flee their homes. How would they possible carry all that food and water with them?

More likely tough guys in gangs with guns would get what there is to be had.

Now let's see - perhaps a nice cave in the side of a hill would be the practical solution?

Grrrrrrrrrrr, back to 'ya!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:43 AM

31,522 posts, read 51,123,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
... I am not trying to discourage any would-be farmers out there. The Victory Garden concept is a good one, but I do not often see postings stating how expensive and inefficient it is for a small gardener or for one who just does not have the free time to putter in a garden.

For most people, if they can and must, they probably would do better by taking a part-time job for the time they spend in their gardens. Unless you have the money and a goodly plot and the time and inclination, growing things, although at face value it seems like a good idea, is not really much of a solution.

I hear these doom and gloom people trying to set people in a panic. Some of them are selling gold - during the Y2k non-happening they were selling survival supplies of one sort or another.

I have heard such people and their followers talking about how they have stored up food and water, etc. The funny thing is, with the increased storms and floods and earthquakes and tsunamis they predict it would seem much of the population would have to flee their homes. How would they possible carry all that food and water with them?
I disagree.

We are producing a greater and greater percentage of our household diet each year. Currently we produce about 50% of our diet.

In terms of GNP, we produce more than what we eat. We sell the excess in a Farmer's Market.

This year we have been focusing a lot on tailoring what we grow to conform to what we eat.

Next year our over-all production of food should grow, and the cash profits from our vendor's stall will increase.

How much food we purchase off-farm is getting less and less.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I disagree.

We are producing a greater and greater percentage of our household diet each year. Currently we produce about 50% of our diet.

In terms of GNP, we produce more than what we eat. We sell the excess in a Farmer's Market.

This year we have been focusing a lot on tailoring what we grow to conform to what we eat.

Next year our over-all production of food should grow, and the cash profits from our vendor's stall will increase.

How much food we purchase off-farm is getting less and less.
No, I don't believe you do disagree. Obviously you have property, unlike the 'most people' to whom I refer.

I envy your independence, but the majority of citizens do not have your facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or