U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think your job is immediately threatened?
Yes 9 11.69%
No 55 71.43%
I lost my job and can't find another one 10 12.99%
Unemployed but not looking 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:04 PM

24,839 posts, read 33,318,899 times

Advertisements

I drill water wells. Not much new construction but, with replacement wells we are about the same. People will always need water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 07:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 34,743,601 times
not really. I work for a big national bank. I can always jump ship to another bank.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:27 PM

19,084 posts, read 20,652,259 times
Hey Driller... I am looking to drill water wells for my aquarium (10k+ gallons) so I need something very long term, do you have any advice about stuff like that? I also plan to use the well to replenish a man-made pond about 1/5 acre in size... what should I be looking for?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:39 PM

31,507 posts, read 51,085,018 times
Four years of college and 20 years on subs [in the US Navy] and I got my pension.

I still carry a US military ID card, I still have the benefits, and I can still use the free air-travel anywhere in the world.

I get a pay-raise each January.

It is rough when you retire so young.

I was the only person at my 25th highschool re-union to already have a pension.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:52 PM

439 posts, read 1,131,101 times
Im in the Army I dont see my Job going anywhere soon lol.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:22 PM

146 posts, read 531,504 times
Thank you for the replies.

I'm sure that a lot of people are in trouble now. But America is a big country with a labor force of about 150 million. In the last few months there have been job losses of several tens of thousands per month, according to the government at least. So far that doesn't add up even to 1%.

Yet since we're such a big country, even a 1% translates into 1.5 million people. That's a big number and even if one in a hundred gets their story out we've got 15,000 stories to create a panic. Yes, with the ease at which news can travel a statistically small event gets blown out of proportion. I find it very irresponsible how the media talks about "economy shedding jobs left and right". So far it doesn't seem to. Let's hope it stays that way.

To all who have suffered from the labor market being slow-- my sincere wishes of luck.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:46 AM

655 posts, read 757,225 times
While there are recession proof industries a few of you mentioned here, there are no depression proof. If we slip into another great depression (as I am now predicting) all bets are off. All jobs including government employees, LE officers, PO officers, school teachers, etc (the list goes on for miles) will be at risk. Even those in the armed forces will face drastic cuts, worthless pay of worthless paper money. If Freddy fails, the entire US will fail overnight economically. And given the news today, they are on the brink! Bonds won't be paid, Banks will fail across the board, goverments at the federal and muni levels will be bankrupt, muni bonds will fail, T-bills worthless. Even if the goverment announces they will bail out Freddy and Fanny, won't matter. They do not have the 1.4 trillion to do it. Game over. They warned today they are indeed in trouble. I think the writing is clearly on the wall. The life we have known in America is about to change. Right here, right now.

WE ARE ON THE BRINK PEOPLE, WAKE UP! We are two steps away froma total disaster and those we elected are doing nothing about it!

Old 07-12-2008, 04:55 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,084,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Im self employed for the past 31 years. I sell a luxury. When times are good I do good. When money is tight I slow down. Slow down is the magic words. So far this year business is off 85% from 2005.

The posts so far are from recession proof trades people. When the real folks who represent the average work force start posting and telling their sad stories, those of you who live in a bubble might see how the other half lives. Yes there are millions and millions of Americans hurting real real bad right now. Never forget that.

I layed off my only 3 employees last September. None of them have found work since. These are skilled tradesmen, not laborers. Anyone in Real Estate related work now is in a whole lot of trouble.
My wife's sister is a RE agent here in Kansas City. She isn't any sort of trouble at all.

I do know that when I was in St. Louis before the 4th though, I heard that Chrysler (I think it was them) shut down some plant outside of St. Louis and quite a few jobs were lost. This also caused some company that makes the seats to shut down also.

I might not have it 100% right but it was something to that extent. I know it was a lot of jobs lost.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:21 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,760,952 times
One of my close child hold friends has been temping in his field. THat dried up a few weeks ago and he can't make bills.

Another friend is a RE and he had to move his wife and children in with his parents. So far, those are my only two friends in trouble.

As for me, I don't THINK my job is in jeopardy BUT my company isn't doing well so who knows what could happen.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:07 AM

5,615 posts, read 13,145,045 times
Quite safe - working engineering on a new aerospace product that already has a ton of demand. We can't get enough qualified people, so I've been told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or