U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think your job is immediately threatened?
Yes 9 11.69%
No 55 71.43%
I lost my job and can't find another one 10 12.99%
Unemployed but not looking 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:39 PM

655 posts, read 757,780 times

Advertisements

Again, anyone who thinks they will not be affected by what is coming is 100% living in denial and will probably face the harsh reality. Myself, I have long ago prepared for the rainy day. I can live comfortable and sustain myself for at least a decade without any income if needed. The fallout from what we are on the brink of will reach ever single aspect, of ever single person's life. From food, energy, housing, jobs, transportation, banking, health, security, and so on, will all be impacted greatly. Don't believe it now, but unfortunately you soon may. We still have time for one last ditch effort to correct things, but I fear our politicians just don't get it, or have the mustard to do anything bold and brave. To them it is business as usual also. This depsite all the clear writing on the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 04:39 PM

146 posts, read 531,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
Again, anyone who thinks they will not be affected by what is coming is 100% living in denial and will probably face the harsh reality.
How do you know all that? Yes, the economy isn't great but a total collapse in the near future...where's your evidence? When I'm out of my home I honestly don't see any difference between 2 years ago and now. It *does* look an awful lot like business as usual. For instance, I made my vacation reservations today-- could hardly find accommodation, all booked.

Even if we look at my little poll-- three quarters of the few dozen who responded are comfortably employed. Only 3 people are actually unemployed and can't find work.

I truly feel that the economic situation is being blown way out of proportion. I'm not saying it's particularly good. Yes, pretty much all of us, including me, have to count money better-- for instance, we chose not to fly anywhere for our honeymoon but go for a road trip instead. Nevertheless, there's no reason to believe it isn't a part of normal business cycle.

Well, so I'm not called a naive American who hasn't seen reality...I actually went through a very severe economic crisis when I was in my teens (well, my parents did, I suppose That was in Russia when the Communist-controlled economy disappeared over a couple of years. It was pretty scary at times, even for me, a kid; note, though, that most people managed, I don't know a single person who didn't eat enough or was killed due to poor security. They were all over TV but not around me.

However, a whole political system collapsed there and a completely new one was built. It just naturally had to be nasty and it was actually a real collapse-- a whole system, a currency, a set of laws crumbled. Now today in America, a few banks going bust is just no where near that in scale.

This is, in fact, a bit like the after 9/11 paranoia when most people seemed to believe that "they" were to get each and everyone of us. It's also a bit like quite a few religious people believing that the end of the world will happen in their life times. Or folks in the 50's stashing food in case the Reds attack. Irrational, apocalyptic mindset all over again-- just can't do without that, can we?

Old 07-12-2008, 06:21 PM

4,104 posts, read 9,707,446 times
I voted yes. I work in business outsourcing in the health insurance industry. We've lost several clients as insurance companies tighten their buckles, reduce coverage and bring things back in-house. So, yeah I worry about my job.

I have a seasonal part time job in accounting and that position rocks. I was planning to switch over to accounting f/t anyway so now is as good a time as any. I haven't had any problems finding accounting positions, especially since I specialize in tax compliance.

My husband is a restaurant manager and although sales are up, profits are down. You'd never know by visiting his restaurant. The waits are incredibly long, retail prices are up, etc. But one of their produce providers already went under and the fishermen are drowning (pun intended) between high gas costs/bait costs/equipment and a declining seafood population. I *know* our local watermen are suffering and some have already left the profession. And, yeah, I worry a little about my husband's position, too.

So far my local government has slashed library services, teachers, and emergency services budget. My utilities have gone up, my water has gone up, and the local politicians are saying that they have no choice but to raise income taxes.

Oh yeah, things are just peachy.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:51 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,896,726 times
My job is a highly skilled union job and I am about half way up the senority list so I am pretty safe.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:03 PM

4,859 posts, read 12,093,701 times
I'm in the oil business so things are looking pretty good right now.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:37 PM

9,695 posts, read 16,388,156 times
I am a Software Security Engineer and consult for Aerospace, Finance and Defense industries...so business is booming so-to-speak.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 PM

10,425 posts, read 45,483,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyn View Post
How do you know all that? Yes, the economy isn't great but a total collapse in the near future...where's your evidence? When I'm out of my home I honestly don't see any difference between 2 years ago and now. It *does* look an awful lot like business as usual.
You look out your door and see business as usual. You have (for now) a steady job, you sit at your thousand dollar PC communicating with us via your $40/ internet fee. Your blind.

You want evidence? Here are just a few since you dont follow current events:

I also predict a complete and total economic colapse. I dont even know what that is because it has never happened. But mark my words. It is coming. The Great Depression will look like a small blip compared to the economic collapse the United States is about to suffer, many experts agree.

Trillions of dollars in lost home equity.
People living off credit cards just to eat and buy gas.
$5.00 gas just months away.
Food prices twice what they were 3 years ago.
Growing global imbalances in the world economy is pretty hard not to see.
The US dollar is worth less then the paper it is written on.
Record foreclosures everywhere expecially Las Vegas, Miami and So. Cal.
China is buying up our companies all over.
So many many of our jobs going to China.
The remaining jobs are taken by illegal aliens who work for $8/hr.
Raises are something we will read in history books.
Only Unions and Govt jobs still give raises. The very best companies toss a token quarter an hour per year for their best employees.
The ever fattening Federal debt is about a dollar from collapse.
Nearly 1 in 6 Americans rely on some sort of public assistance.
Yet another large bank in Indy bit the dust today, that makes 5 so far this year. Last year 3 large banks bit the dust, we have 5 so far and its only july.

In 1929, the debt ratio in relation to the Gross National Product stood at a healthy 16%. In 1990, the national debt increased to an alarming 60% of the GNP. The total debt of America is greater than the combined external debts of all the nations of the world combined. America's debt is 4.3 trillion dollars which is equivalent to a 270 mile high stack of tightly bound $1000 bills. Each mile representing the depth of the pit America will be unable to crawl out of.

Never in our history has gas prices gone upward while home prices fell.
Chrysler is contemplating bankrupcy and Ford and GM say they can only sustain one more year of loses before they would have to consider closing the doors forever.

The fake phony illegal war? Almost 5000 dead? The cost? For what? To satisfy a Dictator who calls himself "The Decider"? The same Dictator who calls our Constitution "Just a G-Dam piece of paper? Yes the same Dictator who should hang from the same rope as Saddam.

Ten thousand nuclear war heads and the most technologically trained army in the world will not be able to stop America's economic disaster. An implosion that will come from the moral rot inside her heart. A physical army cannot stop the wave of spiritual destruction we are in for.

Is that evidence enough for starters?

Last edited by desertsun41; 07-12-2008 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: mispell

Old 07-12-2008, 10:28 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,280,820 times
My job is related to a federally funded program so by law we have to provide services. I feel very safe in this position.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:29 PM

389 posts, read 966,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyn View Post
...in the near future?

With all the talk about how bad the economy is, it'd be interesting to see what people think about their own situations. It's easy to watch some TV and say how horrible it all is but I'm asking about your actual situation. I suspect that the media is really over-doing the economic doom and gloom message and people panic somewhat irrationally-- this poll will help show how right or wrong I am.

I voted "no", not in the near future as far as I can see.

Would also be good to know what field you're in, regardless of what you answer. I'm an embedded software engineer.
I'd say no. I work for Homeland Security, so I doubt my job is going anywhere for quite some time. And if it does... I'll just transfer to another department in the government.

For the record, though, I don't have a "doom and gloom" outlook on the economy, quite the opposite: the economy has to come down every once in a while. It encourages growth as it causes stocks and the prices of other things to fall. We need a recession to keep a good economy. Fighting a recession is what will be our downfall, as it will exacerbate it. Doesn't mean it isn't a necessary part of the economical cycle that exists in the world, though. We've been "up" for quite some time, and what goes up must come down.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:08 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,125,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
My job is a highly skilled union job and I am about half way up the senority list so I am pretty safe.
Both me and hubby are Union and pensioned. I feel pretty safe since I am 1 in seniority.

However, we can never be too sure about the future.

Hubby is 1/2 way up seniority list as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or