U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think your job is immediately threatened?
Yes 9 11.69%
No 55 71.43%
I lost my job and can't find another one 10 12.99%
Unemployed but not looking 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:04 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,694,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You look out your door and see business as usual. You have (for now) a steady job, you sit at your thousand dollar PC communicating with us via your $40/ internet fee. Your blind.

You want evidence? Here are just a few since you dont follow current events:

I also predict a complete and total economic colapse. I dont even know what that is because it has never happened. But mark my words. It is coming. The Great Depression will look like a small blip compared to the economic collapse the United States is about to suffer, many experts agree.

Trillions of dollars in lost home equity.
People living off credit cards just to eat and buy gas.
$5.00 gas just months away.
Food prices twice what they were 3 years ago.
Growing global imbalances in the world economy is pretty hard not to see.
The US dollar is worth less then the paper it is written on.
Record foreclosures everywhere expecially Las Vegas, Miami and So. Cal.
China is buying up our companies all over.
So many many of our jobs going to China.
The remaining jobs are taken by illegal aliens who work for $8/hr.
Raises are something we will read in history books.
Only Unions and Govt jobs still give raises. The very best companies toss a token quarter an hour per year for their best employees.
The ever fattening Federal debt is about a dollar from collapse.
Nearly 1 in 6 Americans rely on some sort of public assistance.
Yet another large bank in Indy bit the dust today, that makes 5 so far this year. Last year 3 large banks bit the dust, we have 5 so far and its only july.

In 1929, the debt ratio in relation to the Gross National Product stood at a healthy 16%. In 1990, the national debt increased to an alarming 60% of the GNP. The total debt of America is greater than the combined external debts of all the nations of the world combined. America's debt is 4.3 trillion dollars which is equivalent to a 270 mile high stack of tightly bound $1000 bills. Each mile representing the depth of the pit America will be unable to crawl out of.

Never in our history has gas prices gone upward while home prices fell.
Chrysler is contemplating bankrupcy and Ford and GM say they can only sustain one more year of loses before they would have to consider closing the doors forever.

The fake phony illegal war? Almost 5000 dead? The cost? For what? To satisfy a Dictator who calls himself "The Decider"? The same Dictator who calls our Constitution "Just a G-Dam piece of paper? Yes the same Dictator who should hang from the same rope as Saddam.

Ten thousand nuclear war heads and the most technologically trained army in the world will not be able to stop America's economic disaster. An implosion that will come from the moral rot inside her heart. A physical army cannot stop the wave of spiritual destruction we are in for.

Is that evidence enough for starters?
You know what? You wasted all this typing space for nothing.

I've come to the realization that there will be people that will NEVER want to hear or see the truth no matter what it is (i.e., finances, relationships, etc.). I honestly believe that they can't mentally or emotionally grasp the full reality of the inevitable. WHEN (not if) this new DEPRESSION (not "recession") comes many people will commit suicide or worse. The thought of seeing all of their materialistic possessions being taken from them, forced homelessness or standing on lines at the food banks will literally send them over the edge.

Even if they were to see hundreds of families camped out on the street living in their cars, For Sale signs everywhere, and their once vibrant neighborhood turning into ghost towns or a suburban version of Skid Row, they would STILL pretend like everything was good and right in the world.

Many people KNOW what's happening, but don't want to BELIEVE.

ETA: Um, I doubt Ford will close it's doors "forever". Maybe in the UNITED STATES, but they'll definitely begin doing business overseas (China anyone?)

Last edited by marilyn220; 07-13-2008 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 12:10 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,694,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
My job is related to a federally funded program so by law we have to provide services. I feel very safe in this position.
I notice that civil service employees always have this "my job is safe" mentality even in 2008.

Civil servants can get let go too. Departments can be "downsized".

Once upon a time IBM said they would never fire their employees. They didn't fire them at first, they just got "re-assigned". Some were asked to take pay cuts or early retirement. Then the inevitable happened - they began FIRING people.

No job is "safe".

Old 07-13-2008, 12:27 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,192,428 times
I'm a medical transcriptionist. My job is always in danger of being outsourced to India.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:59 AM

3,283 posts, read 4,752,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I notice that civil service employees always have this "my job is safe" mentality even in 2008.

Once upon a time IBM said they would never fire their employees. They didn't fire them at first, they just got "re-assigned". Some were asked to take pay cuts or early retirement. Then the inevitable happened - they began FIRING people.

No job is "safe".

couldn't agree with you more! at some point we are going to have to rein in public spending. at state level, the reduced tax receipts are already leading to spending cuts and public servants are losing their jobs!

Old 07-13-2008, 05:21 AM

27,907 posts, read 35,237,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyn View Post
How do you know all that? Yes, the economy isn't great but a total collapse in the near future...where's your evidence? When I'm out of my home I honestly don't see any difference between 2 years ago and now. It *does* look an awful lot like business as usual. For instance, I made my vacation reservations today-- could hardly find accommodation, all booked.

Even if we look at my little poll-- three quarters of the few dozen who responded are comfortably employed. Only 3 people are actually unemployed and can't find work.

I truly feel that the economic situation is being blown way out of proportion. I'm not saying it's particularly good. Yes, pretty much all of us, including me, have to count money better-- for instance, we chose not to fly anywhere for our honeymoon but go for a road trip instead. Nevertheless, there's no reason to believe it isn't a part of normal business cycle.

Well, so I'm not called a naive American who hasn't seen reality...I actually went through a very severe economic crisis when I was in my teens (well, my parents did, I suppose That was in Russia when the Communist-controlled economy disappeared over a couple of years. It was pretty scary at times, even for me, a kid; note, though, that most people managed, I don't know a single person who didn't eat enough or was killed due to poor security. They were all over TV but not around me.

However, a whole political system collapsed there and a completely new one was built. It just naturally had to be nasty and it was actually a real collapse-- a whole system, a currency, a set of laws crumbled. Now today in America, a few banks going bust is just no where near that in scale.

This is, in fact, a bit like the after 9/11 paranoia when most people seemed to believe that "they" were to get each and everyone of us. It's also a bit like quite a few religious people believing that the end of the world will happen in their life times. Or folks in the 50's stashing food in case the Reds attack. Irrational, apocalyptic mindset all over again-- just can't do without that, can we?

All the over blown fears will dissipate after the election and the natural curve will follow.

No my job isn't going anywhere....The more people that get out of their loans the higher occupancy stays.....well unless the whole "I am legend" thing happens.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
All the over blown fears will dissipate after the election and the natural curve will follow.

No my job isn't going anywhere....The more people that get out of their loans the higher occupancy stays.....well unless the whole "I am legend" thing happens.
By the way this doesn't mean I couldn't be replaced.....everyone is replaceable no matter how much they think of themselves.

I just find it interesting someone could come up with a dooms day idea based on just the economy.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/18/1965139/DJIA.doc

It's a natural order of things. The economy can't always go full steam ahead it's going to have it's down turn as it always has. It's self correcting. Supply and demand. A good indicator of how bad things really are will be when you see no more SUV's on the road traveling with one person. All the $400,000+ homes are empty. Everyone in line @ the store is using coupons.

As it sits now the majority of the vehicles on the road today seem to be SUV's with one person. Almost no one I talk to even looks at coupons. And people are still in all of the incredibly expensive houses. Some or all of that may change tomorrow....I just don't see it here in my city....and that's about all I can speak for.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
By the way this doesn't mean I couldn't be replaced.....everyone is replaceable no matter how much they think of themselves.

I just find it interesting someone could come up with a dooms day idea based on just the economy.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/18/1965139/DJIA.doc

It's a natural order of things. The economy can't always go full steam ahead it's going to have it's down turn as it always has. It's self correcting. Supply and demand. A good indicator of how bad things really are will be when you see no more SUV's on the road traveling with one person. All the $400,000+ homes are empty. Everyone in line @ the store is using coupons.

As it sits now the majority of the vehicles on the road today seem to be SUV's with one person. Almost no one I talk to even looks at coupons. And people are still in all of the incredibly expensive houses. Some or all of that may change tomorrow....I just don't see it here in my city....and that's about all I can speak for.

that graph that you posted doesn't give the full picture. if you take into account REAL inflation you will see that the dow, s&p,nasdaq are actually lower then they were a few years ago. it is very simple for the powers that be to bolster the the exchanges. all they have to do is ease monetary policy and flood the market with cash. most of it will gravitate to the exchanges in one way or another and make the graph nice and pretty. all that happens is that prices go up

Old 07-13-2008, 06:32 AM

So the stock market doesn't reflect the economy is that what your saying?

By the way I did loose 3 years on that chart I guess from screen print and it being a java app. If anyone would like to see the full graph:
http://finance.google.com/finance?cl...=INDEXDJX:.DJI

Old 07-13-2008, 06:47 AM

1,888 posts, read 7,277,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

No job is "safe".
Actually, I'm not a civil servant. I work in the medical industry. We provide early intervention services (testing, evaluation and treatment) to families whose kids have suspected developmental disabilities. This service is required under the IDEA act. I'm sure any company (agency or otherwise) can downsize but certain businesses will remain no matter what. I'm very confident in that.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
So the stock market doesn't reflect the economy is that what your saying?

By the way I did loose 3 years on that chart I guess from screen print and it being a java app. If anyone would like to see the full graph:
.DJI - DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE INDEX - Google Finance

it doesn't tell you the whole story because it's values are bolstered by easy monetary policy. here is as good an explanation as i can give. shares in company x go from $100 per share to $125 the next year to $150 the following year to $175 the year after that. so on a graph you would say that that the value has gone up 75% in four years.

in the same time gas goes from $1 per gallon to $1,90 the next year then $2,70, then $4,00. in the same time that the stock market has gone up 75%, the cost of gas has gone up 400%.

so if you have 1 share of company x in year one you could purchase 100 gallons of gas. if you still had 1 share in company x in year four you could trade it for only 43.75 gallons of gas.

sorry but that is the easiest way for me to explain it.

i know that many people are going to eat into this by stating government inflation figures of 4.18%. i will just say that that is a wonderful tool that government has to confuse the population. i will just say that if you have been to the store recently you will know that prices have gone up a bit more than 4 cents on the dollar over the last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or