U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think your job is immediately threatened?
Yes 9 11.69%
No 55 71.43%
I lost my job and can't find another one 10 12.99%
Unemployed but not looking 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:25 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,754,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
All the over blown fears will dissipate after the election and the natural curve will follow.

No my job isn't going anywhere....The more people that get out of their loans the higher occupancy stays.....well unless the whole "I am legend" thing happens.
whoa, whoa, whoa. So you think someone is going to come into office in January and magically things will be fixed? Do you have any clue as to what is going on right now in the economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 07:25 AM

27,907 posts, read 35,234,303 times
Understood....I am by no means a finacial genius more like a kindergartner.

I guess I just see it like:

If the stock market is rising people are buying into it...people are trading. If people are trading then they have money or something =.

If people don't have money the don't invest because it's not there. there was obviously a bubble in 1995-2000 as it deflated fast and left many people broke that were previously millionaires.

You can see that correction in the graph. I see the same type thing now (sort of) with the past few 1/4's of no/little growth...as it also seems to be noted in the graph.

Maybe that's from naive eyes.....I simply see a graph and all the technical calculations are a little above my head so I don't even think of them. I'm great with math just never learned the ins and outs of the stock market.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
whoa, whoa, whoa. So you think someone is going to come into office in January and magically things will be fixed? Do you have any clue as to what is going on right now in the economy?
Relax you took that the wrong way. Yes things are at a slow/no growth. I'm just stating it's pushed in your face 100 times more right now where we are....and that can go with whoever becomes President. It still isn't technically being called a recession yet....unless I missed something (highly likely). I do see single people calling it a recession.....

Again I think of it like a self correcting curve.

Like in the .com bubble and we are still here today no? people still went crazy on homes even when the bubble busted wide open. I have seen the poor new home sales before and I'm only 28...well 29 in two days. Eventually people bought new homes again and as a matter of fact they went crazy with it to the point that we always seem to do....Over do it until we get ourselves in trouble then correct it and learn nothing from the process we just find something else to over do.

By the way if you can predict the next thing and when it will end you can get in and out and be all the wiser. let me know if you figure it out before it happens....I'll do the same.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Relax you took that the wrong way. Yes things are at a slow/no growth. I'm just stating it's pushed in your face 100 times more right now where we are....and that can go with whoever becomes President. It still isn't technically being called a recession yet....unless I missed something. I do see single people calling it a recession.....

Again I thin of it like a self correcting curve.

Like in the .com bubble and we are still here today no?
No, this is not like the tech bubble. These bubbles are the product of a bigger problem. Our economy has been transformed from one of saving and spending what you earn to a neo feudalistic system of debt based consumer spending and non production. We have whats called a F.I.R.E. economy (Finance, Insurance, Real Estate) and this system is slowly coming to a end. It will take a decade for them to fix this. Every month it gets worse and anyone with a firm grasp of whats going on understands why. Has nothing to do with the media blowing things out of proportion either. This is the sort of statement someone with no clue of whats going on makes. Guy at work Friday tells me things arent that bad. His reasonsing is because the housing market is self correcting. The thing is, this co worker represents most here in America right now. The housing mess is ONE small aspect of the problem at hand.I hope who ever comes into office levels with john Q public and explains what the issue is and what it is going to take to get back on track.

People need to get the idea of recession out of their heads. I don't think we will see a recession. I think we will end up seeing stagflation will little to no economic growth, high unemployment and extreme inflation. I think for most people it will feel like they are under water with weights on their legs and arms. It is going to be really tough for a lot of people for a long time. Doesn't mean it is the end of America, but it is the end of America as we have grown to know it.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 AM

6,585 posts, read 23,233,412 times
I'm not seeing a lot of doom and gloom here. I see lots and lots of Help Wanted signs everywhere I go. We have a shortage of workers here. I see people able to sell their homes quickly. I see people still buying $75,000 country club memberships and taking family trips to Europe. My employer is in expansion-mode. Illegals are returning to Mexico in droves. I personally don't know a single person who has been laid off in 2008. I don't know know anyone that has lost their house or filed bankruptcy in 2008.

Course, I watch the news and listen to CNBC on XM radio in my car, so I hear what is happening, but New York based news programs have always talked about things that have no relevance to us here. They talk about snow in the winter (snow is rare here), kids playing outside in the summer (it's too hot here), school starting after Labor Day (we start in August), so it's not that unusual to be told we are having experiences that we are actually not having.

Another thing I see everywhere are out of state license plates. We are getting new residents which is great. I am reading some books about what is going on and it's very interesting and very doom and gloom. I just don't see here it here in Texas - yet.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I'm not seeing a lot of doom and gloom here. I see lots and lots of Help Wanted signs everywhere I go. We have a shortage of workers here. I see people able to sell their homes quickly. I see people still buying $75,000 country club memberships and taking family trips to Europe. My employer is in expansion-mode. Illegals are returning to Mexico in droves. I personally don't know a single person who has been laid off in 2008. I don't know know anyone that has lost their house or filed bankruptcy in 2008.

Course, I watch the news and listen to CNBC on XM radio in my car, so I hear what is happening, but New York based news programs have always talked about things that have no relevance to us here. They talk about snow in the winter (snow is rare here), kids playing outside in the summer (it's too hot here), school starting after Labor Day (we start in August), so it's not that unusual to be told we are having experiences that we are actually not having.

Another thing I see everywhere are out of state license plates. We are getting new residents which is great. I am reading some books about what is going on and it's very interesting and very doom and gloom. I just don't see here it here in Texas - yet.
you guys have energy my friend which is keeping you guys a float

However if and when demand starts to be pushed down significantly enough or if and when the US dollar makes a recovery (which isn't going to happen, at least not for a VERY long time) then that ride will be over.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
No, this is not like the tech bubble. These bubbles are the product of a bigger problem. Our economy has been transformed from one of saving and spending what you earn to a neo feudalistic system of debt based consumer spending and non production. We have whats called a F.I.R.E. economy (Finance, Insurance, Real Estate) and this system is slowly coming to a end. It will take a decade for them to fix this. Every month it gets worse and anyone with a firm grasp of whats going on understands why. Has nothing to do with the media blowing things out of proportion either. This is the sort of statement someone with no clue of whats going on makes. Guy at work Friday tells me things arent that bad. His reasonsing is because the housing market is self correcting. The thing is, this co worker represents most here in America right now. The housing mess is ONE small aspect of the problem at hand.I hope who ever comes into office levels with john Q public and explains what the issue is and what it is going to take to get back on track.

People need to get the idea of recession out of their heads. I don't think we will see a recession. I think we will end up seeing stagflation will little to no economic growth, high unemployment and extreme inflation. I think for most people it will feel like they are under water with weights on their legs and arms. It is going to be really tough for a lot of people for a long time. Doesn't mean it is the end of America, but it is the end of America as we have grown to know it.

Well then that means we can just throw that poll up there out.

None of us are informed like you. I never hear anything about banking or financial things and such being from Charlotte or talk to anyone else that would know anything about it.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Well then that means we can just throw that poll up there out.

None of us are informed like you. I never hear anything about banking or financial things and such being from Charlotte or talk to anyone else that would know anything about it.
plenty of people know whats going on. Eric Janzcen and Nour el Roubini just to name a few who have been calling whats happening since 1995 or so and have been on point with every prediction. I have a degree in economics and studied this stuff hence my understanding. There are PLENTY on this board who know whats going on, cjflorida, philip, bale and a host of others (you guys know who you are). But a majority have no clue. That isn't because they are dumb, its because of a lack of proper research. People talking about "normal recessions" and "end of oil bubbles" well, those are the clueless ones. It will take months of research from MANY sources to get a firm grip on whats happening. Heck, every day I learn about new aspects of this mess and I re adjust my thoughts. But, getting defensive and feeling belittled isn't going to help any. Just do research on whats going on, maybe look into the people I mentioned. Don't take the thoughts of what your friends, brothers uncle said. Take that information and research it, research EVERYTHING. Heck, this is a election year, we can not afford to be misinformed these days. The information is out there, but thinking this situation is business as usual could be further from the truth.

As for the poll, its good. People know better than anyone else whats going on in their work environment. Can give us a clue as to how things are playing out. What sectors are being affected. What cities are being hammered right now, etc. I like the idea of this poll a lot.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:59 AM

475 posts, read 1,193,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Again I say to you not to feel so secure even as a teacher. In Nevada we are in such a financial jamb that the largest college and community colleges just layed off 158 higher paid teachers. They cant afford to pay them. They just will have to have more students per teacher they say.

And no offense to you but when it comes down to an economic depression and there is only basic money for schools, Science is about as important as learning to count rainbows. It will be the first to be cut. Dont think it cant happen.
I was simply answering the question "Do you feel your job is in danger?". My response was no, I feel that right now I'm in one of the more secure positions out there, esp. here in North Carolina. Of course in a catastrophic event then NO ONES job is secure. If cuts were to start science would NOT be the first to be cut. The first to be cut would be community college instructors(my high school pays a pretty penny for those folks), then all fluffy office staff, then the art department, then the theater dept, then the elective courses, then the 15 EC staff, then whats left would be re-tooled into large classes in the 4 major subject areas. At that point then yes science could be cut, however there are ALOT of other cuts to be made before the 4 major subjects are cut. I'm also in a growing school system where it's VERY hard to fill positions with anyone because no one wants to work that hard for 30k a year. So for now I don't feel my job is in danger.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:08 AM

10,425 posts, read 45,458,458 times
Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing.

For those who are mad at how much the Dictator bush is sending to Iraq, just wait to see how much Barry Hussien Obama sends to Africa. Im not sure how this is going to magicly boost our economy But some seem to think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or