U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think your job is immediately threatened?
Yes 9 11.69%
No 55 71.43%
I lost my job and can't find another one 10 12.99%
Unemployed but not looking 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:22 AM

6,585 posts, read 23,246,499 times

Advertisements

ya got to be careful about extrapolating poll information from this website to the general public - for example, this poll //www.city-data.com/forum/educa...e-degrees.html - when in reality only about 28% of folks age 25 and older have bachelors degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:35 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,764,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing.

For those who are mad at how much the Dictator bush is sending to Iraq, just wait to see how much Barry Hussien Obama sends to Africa. Im not sure how this is going to magicly boost our economy But some seem to think so.
your analysis is absolutly incorrect. Get passed the racially driven paranoia and get down to economics. There is NO way things will change in a year, regardless of who is in office or what they do. This fix will take a LONG time.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:40 PM

10,425 posts, read 45,483,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
your analysis is absolutly incorrect. Get passed the racially driven paranoia and get down to economics. There is NO way things will change in a year, regardless of who is in office or what they do. This fix will take a LONG time.
If it was not correct then I would not have said it. What are ya arguing about? Im on your side. I agree with every thing you said. I also know this bum people are voting in there is going to make it worse. What did I say that was racially driven? I said nothing bad about that racist pig. I only said his name and where he puts his money....soon to be our money when he gets his greasy mitts into our tax kitty.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:17 PM

6,987 posts, read 15,764,667 times
Quote:
If it was not correct then I would not have said it. What are ya arguing about? Im on your side. I agree with every thing you said. I also know this bum people are voting in there is going to make it worse. What did I say that was racially driven? I said nothing bad about that racist pig. I only said his name and where he puts his money....soon to be our money when he gets his greasy mitts into our tax kitty.
I don't care about politics one way or the other but what your spreading is F.U.D. please provide proof for everything you have said.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:38 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,896,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So the stock market doesn't reflect the economy is that what your saying?

By the way I did loose 3 years on that chart I guess from screen print and it being a java app. If anyone would like to see the full graph:
.DJI - DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE INDEX - Google Finance
The stock market usually leads the economy by about 6 months. When you see it start to go up again, happy days are about 6 months down the road.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:52 PM

43 posts, read 89,666 times
No threat here. I'm a nurse so I will have plenty of work for the rest of my life!

Old 07-13-2008, 07:57 PM

10,425 posts, read 45,483,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I don't care about politics one way or the other but what your spreading is F.U.D. please provide proof for everything you have said.
I already did. Just look back to post #37. It just dont get any more accurate then that. And by the amount of REPs I got and DMs from that one post it's obvious that many agree with me.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:01 PM

27,907 posts, read 35,274,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The stock market usually leads the economy by about 6 months. When you see it start to go up again, happy days are about 6 months down the road.

just look at the slope...

about 30* you say....without the speed square it's a guess but for relevance.

Look at the years where it seems take an uprising.

Look at where it settles after those bubbles burst.

Then tell me is the free market society and capitalism self correcting?

By the way before you answer that remove the bubble burst and loom at what angle the market would have risen? still 30*?

Sorry I'm on a lap top or I would put the actual degree sign.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:08 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,940,699 times
Quote:
Again I say to you not to feel so secure even as a teacher. In Nevada we are in such a financial jamb that the largest college and community colleges just layed off 158 higher paid teachers. They cant afford to pay them. They just will have to have more students per teacher they say.

And no offense to you but when it comes down to an economic depression and there is only basic money for schools, Science is about as important as learning to count rainbows. It will be the first to be cut. Dont think it cant happen.
I know that when things take a downturn everything may be up for grabs. From what little I know this country is lacking in innovation, which had been one of our strengths, because so many students are ignorant in the fields of math and science. Schools are crying out for good teachers in these fields and have been for a long time.

I think English and Math and Science should be fairly secure.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:16 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,940,699 times
Quote:
Finally some one who gets it. I agree with what you said. Probably because you are right. I see a total and complete economic collapse coming in America. What is that? No one knows because we never had one. What we are in for is going to make The Great Depression look like just a blip on the map.

For the one person who said they work for a bank and if they go under they will just go to another bank. Well whataya gona do when all the banks go under?

Today that large bank in Indianapolis just went under. That is the 5th large bank to bite the dust this year. All of last year just 3 banks bit the dust and we are only half done with this year. Some predict at least 3 more banks this year will fold up.
Yes, and the mortgage fiasco that triggered everything was itself triggered by doing away with government regulation of the financial markets - regulations that were put there after the first depression, in 1930 to prevent another.

A crash almost looks engineered. A fool could have foretold it.

And then we have a Presidential candidate who says he does not know much about economics. Why is he running? Wasn't this same person involved in a financial scandal way back when? Didn't that have to do with banking?

Lordy, how this whole thing stinks to high heavern!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or