Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think your job is immediately threatened?
Yes 9 11.69%
No 55 71.43%
I lost my job and can't find another one 10 12.99%
Unemployed but not looking 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:04 AM

475 posts, read 1,302,569 times

Advertisements

I am a high school science teacher so my job isn't going anywhere. In fact they can't get people to do my job. There is plenty of work here in NC for high school teachers, many counties esp rural ones are so desperate they will hire someone without an education degree for the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 09:05 AM

24,623 posts, read 19,089,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyn View Post
I'm sure that a lot of people are in trouble now. But America is a big country with a labor force of about 150 million. In the last few months there have been job losses of several tens of thousands per month, according to the government at least. So far that doesn't add up even to 1%.
And you trust the government? If you didn't know, the method of calculating unemployment in the US changed in 1997.

On the 12th of each month the BLS conducts a survey of 60,000 US households, and based on that, the unemployment rate is determined.

Prior to 1997, the unemployment rate was calculated by tallying data submitted by each state. Each state submitted the number of people receiving unemployment benefits, and the state conducted a statistical telephone survey of the number of people registered with the state employment bureaus whose employment benefits had expired (typically after 26 weeks unless Congress authorizes longer periods of payments) but had not found work.

It also included the active duty military personnel, as it still does, but no longer included prisoners in county, state and federal prisons.

Also, part-time employees were not considered employed if they were working part-time because full-time work was not available.

Prior to 1979, active duty military personnel were not counted, but prisoners incarcerated in county, state and federal prisons were.

If you use the pre-1997 method, the unemployment rate in the US is about 9.3%.

The number of "employed" persons is also misleading because it includes people who work two full-time jobs, two part-time jobs, or a full-time and a part-time job (with the exception of 8 people accurately describes everyone I know or am acquainted with).

There are probably 20 Million people working two (or more) jobs, so the actual number of employed is more accurately around 140 Million rather than 150 Million.

Quote:
I find it very irresponsible how the media talks about "economy shedding jobs left and right". So far it doesn't seem to. Let's hope it stays that way.
But the methods the government uses are not irresponsible? Interesting.

Of course, as I pointed out, you don't really know what the unemployment rate is.

Quote:
To all who have suffered from the labor market being slow-- my sincere wishes of luck.
They'll need more than that.

Cost Inflation will continue to be rampant throughout the next decade, slowly eroding disposable income and creating a snow-ball effect in the economy.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:11 AM

55 posts, read 279,064 times
I'm safe, for the first time in my life. I'm in the medical field.
But, I think the people who are in denial are those that say there is no recession.
I don't give a rip about this "2 quarters negative growth" BS.

Ask the independent truckers how they're doing, ask the fishermen, ask the dentists, (I can't afford that these days.) Ask the jewelers, restaurant owners, your tire store's owner. Ask your barista, ask any one of them how their last two quarters have gone.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,574,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
While there are recession proof industries a few of you mentioned here, there are no depression proof. If we slip into another great depression (as I am now predicting) all bets are off. All jobs including government employees, LE officers, PO officers, school teachers, etc (the list goes on for miles) will be at risk. Even those in the armed forces will face drastic cuts, worthless pay of worthless paper money. If Freddy fails, the entire US will fail overnight economically. And given the news today, they are on the brink! Bonds won't be paid, Banks will fail across the board, goverments at the federal and muni levels will be bankrupt, muni bonds will fail, T-bills worthless. Even if the goverment announces they will bail out Freddy and Fanny, won't matter. They do not have the 1.4 trillion to do it. Game over. They warned today they are indeed in trouble. I think the writing is clearly on the wall. The life we have known in America is about to change. Right here, right now.

WE ARE ON THE BRINK PEOPLE, WAKE UP! We are two steps away froma total disaster and those we elected are doing nothing about it!
Finally some one who gets it. I agree with what you said. Probably because you are right. I see a total and complete economic collapse coming in America. What is that? No one knows because we never had one. What we are in for is going to make The Great Depression look like just a blip on the map.

For the one person who said they work for a bank and if they go under they will just go to another bank. Well whataya gona do when all the banks go under?

Today that large bank in Indianapolis just went under. That is the 5th large bank to bite the dust this year. All of last year just 3 banks bit the dust and we are only half done with this year. Some predict at least 3 more banks this year will fold up.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickchick2000 View Post
I am a high school science teacher so my job isn't going anywhere. In fact they can't get people to do my job. There is plenty of work here in NC for high school teachers, many counties esp rural ones are so desperate they will hire someone without an education degree for the year.
Again I say to you not to feel so secure even as a teacher. In Nevada we are in such a financial jamb that the largest college and community colleges just layed off 158 higher paid teachers. They cant afford to pay them. They just will have to have more students per teacher they say.

And no offense to you but when it comes down to an economic depression and there is only basic money for schools, Science is about as important as learning to count rainbows. It will be the first to be cut. Dont think it cant happen.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:17 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,196,901 times
i work in media, specifically executive conferences. everyday i liaise with these big-wigs. pension fund managers, hedge funds, private equity, banks, lawyers etc. things have slowed down dramatically. a year ago i didn't have the time to scratch my ****s! nowadays i sit on citydata all day!
my days here are numbered but i don't really care anymore. i have put some decent bread together and when i move back to the states the mrs and i will be buying our house, cars, toys etc outright.
the mrs in a finance lawyer for a big city firm. she says they are starting to get really funny about internet use etc which is another way of saying they're looking for reasons to get rid of people.
for many people the writing is on the wall! for those who think that the fall of bear, fannie and freddie are insignificant i urge you to get a quick reality check.
if you took peoples credit cards away we would be in the middle of the great depression. the way the banks are fairing it's only a matter of time!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:00 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,210,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Finally some one who gets it. I agree with what you said. Probably because you are right. I see a total and complete economic collapse coming in America. What is that? No one knows because we never had one. What we are in for is going to make The Great Depression look like just a blip on the map.

For the one person who said they work for a bank and if they go under they will just go to another bank. Well whataya gona do when all the banks go under?

Today that large bank in Indianapolis just went under. That is the 5th large bank to bite the dust this year. All of last year just 3 banks bit the dust and we are only half done with this year. Some predict at least 3 more banks this year will fold up.
Amazing how so many people are still wrapped up in their materialistic lives waiting in long lines for trivial stuff like an iPhone. By the end of the year, it will be food lines people will be waiting in.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:27 AM

3,852 posts, read 12,844,801 times
I work at a high turnover theme park. If the park is in jeopardy all they do is stop hiring people. While their workforce will naturally decline due to people quitting and moving to other jobs. Also I am unionized so that is an added plus.

As long as you show up to work and do your job safely you will have no problem keeping a job there.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:28 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,260,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Hey Driller... I am looking to drill water wells for my aquarium (10k+ gallons) so I need something very long term, do you have any advice about stuff like that? I also plan to use the well to replenish a man-made pond about 1/5 acre in size... what should I be looking for?
Your best source is your local heath department. 5" PVC is the only casing to use, make sure the water is there. Your heath department will have logs.
In Michigan we can only take 70 gallons per minute without special use permit.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Amazing how so many people are still wrapped up in their materialistic lives waiting in long lines for trivial stuff like an iPhone. By the end of the year, it will be food lines people will be waiting in.
That's what Im afraid of. At this moment, 1 in 6 Americans are on some sort of government assistance, up from 1 in 7 just a few years ago. The obvious direction of the economy will probably see this rise to one in 5 by years end.

But.......those who are not affected dont care and are blind to whats going on around them. Hey man...it's the American way !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics