U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:37 AM

4,711 posts, read 11,169,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC little foot View Post
After reading this morning about the government take over of Indy Mac, All of a sudden I have a sinking feeling in my gut about Wachovia. We have all of our profits from our NJ home sale in that bank. We need these for our downpayment on our new construction. Any other Wachovia customers taking their money out? Would you if your money was in there? If so where would you put it. I even entertained the thought of mattress stuffing.

That's what finishes off an ailing bank...a run.

Indymac depositors pulled out $1.3 billion in the weeks leading up to the shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 08:43 AM

4,933 posts, read 6,966,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
That's what finishes off an ailing bank...a run.

Indymac depositors pulled out $1.3 billion in the weeks leading up to the shut down.
there's going to be a run any way at some point. might as well be ahead of the mob and pull it now. I have no money in banks and no faith in our fiat currency. It's all a scam where the rich get richer by loaning out money that doesn't exist to begin with. I want no part of that and I certainly wouldn't want to empower this cartel with my own dollars. The immorality behind it all is utterly repulsive.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:19 AM

48,509 posts, read 86,088,090 times
I had money in a failed bank once and had access thru anther bank quickly.Al kinds of rumors were floating around even then;mostly depresion and the doom and glomer pasted them around then.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:48 AM

26,661 posts, read 40,589,239 times
Washington Mutual is even worse. Wacovia is doing very bad.
The rumor is that JP Morgan is taking over Washington Mutual so than it will be safe, but it happened yet.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:38 PM

24,551 posts, read 34,725,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC little foot View Post
After reading this morning about the government take over of Indy Mac, All of a sudden I have a sinking feeling in my gut about Wachovia. We have all of our profits from our NJ home sale in that bank. We need these for our downpayment on our new construction. Any other Wachovia customers taking their money out? Would you if your money was in there? If so where would you put it. I even entertained the thought of mattress stuffing.
I feel for ya'll who are biting your nails. I actually work for Wachovia and bank with them also. I haven't seen anything in my bank that would indicate panic (I worked today with the news of Indymac coming on every 30 min). I'm not really worried because i have very little money in that bank and i plan to move out of state next year so i have to stop working (and probably banking) with them anyway. Even if Wachovia goes belly-up, i have most of my savings in another (stable) bank and i have really no attachment to them. Again, i see no reason for total panic with Wachovia.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:12 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,169,574 times
Hey Alanboy, any idea how long they'll be offering that 4.25% one year CD?

The money I want to put in there is tied up in another CD until August 4....

Old 07-12-2008, 10:26 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,319,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I feel for ya'll who are biting your nails. I actually work for Wachovia and bank with them also. I haven't seen anything in my bank that would indicate panic (I worked today with the news of Indymac coming on every 30 min).
Wachovia would have been better off without Ken Thompson. People working for the bank have walked the razor's edge ever since his bright idea to create a "merger of equals" between Wachovia and First Union Before that, Wachovia was a conservative, "old money" bank, concentrating on handling the money of affluent customers and financing stable businesses. Thank Bob that wretch got the boot. The new CEO has ties to the US Treasury and Goldman Sachs. You can read an interview here New CEO of Wachovia acknowledges difficulties though he hasn't really said more than fluff at this point.

While the talk on this board is about Wachovia in general, the bank's future is also of a concern to Winston-Salem Officials watching Wachovia That bank provides a significant number of well-paying jobs to the local economy

Old 07-13-2008, 03:43 AM

3,605 posts, read 5,326,968 times
The whole financial system is a house of cards. Our Treasury Secretary Paulson and Fed Chairman Bernanke went before the House Financial Services Committee on Thursday and Bernanke was talking about greater powers to allow financial institutions to fail. They seemed to be floating the idea to let a few more go under.

The sad fact is that on Wednesday Jamie Dimon and a number of other "experts" were on their organized talking tour saying how things were improving. IMHO it was a pump and dump campaign allowing the big boys to get out and hoodwinking the retirement managers and average investors back into the market to orchestrate their exit. Then Dimon can come in and pick up another former venerable institution for "house on fire pricing."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=N_3d07u3R9U

It appears that the Treasury Secretary and the Fed Chairman are in on the game and their behavior the next day indicated to me that they had little regard for the average Joe whose 401k, 403b, and 457 accounts are tied up in these securities that are getting decimated.

The government leaders (especially George W. Bush and crew) pushed companies and the American people out of defined benefit plans that were often backed locally by local real estate development, municipal bonds, small venture capital deals etc., into the global crap shoot where the only ones making any money have been the plan advisors, fund managers, and investment banks who keep churning the average Joe's money so that there is no real return.

To date our stock market has returned a dismal 0.65% annualized return under George W. Bush's 7 1/2 watch. This return isn't a whole lot better than the poor yielding 0.5% savings accounts that the big banks have been so generous in offering over the past several years while the inflation rate has been running far north of 6% despite the government lying to us with 3 to 4% figures.

Where's the outrage? Check out my blog for more background on the banking system and the stock market.

Bob's Blog (http://www.bob4bristol.blogspot.com/ - broken link)

Old 07-13-2008, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,816 times
Default I'm also worried about Wachovia's status.

Sounds like it is not if, but when, Wachovia will be taken over by FDIC.

I'm financially quite ignorant, and need the help of some of y'all out there on a couple of things. FDIC-insured deposits are insured up to $100,000 - I got that part. What about married couples, though? Say, John and Mary Smith have two accounts in Wachovia at $100,000 each, and both names are on both accounts? Are both accounts fully FDIC-insured? And if they switched to two separate accounts, one with John's name and one with Mary's name, aren't they screwed if one should die? We've got just about $240,000 saved in Wachovia, so I'm getting nervous.

Also, what is Wachovia's Texas Ratio? It's climbing, right? Thanks in advanced for your help!

Old 07-13-2008, 01:02 PM

3,460 posts, read 5,068,463 times
You want two single accounts plus one joint account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics