U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 03:29 AM

28,699 posts, read 48,820,089 times

Advertisements

ST. LOUIS, Missouri (AP) -- Belgian brewer InBev has announced it will buy its U.S. rival Anheuser-Busch for $52 billion to create the world's largest brewer.

InBev to buy Anheuser-Busch for $52B - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/14/anheuser.inbev.ap/index.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 04:36 AM

3,605 posts, read 5,337,229 times
This is just the beginning. If we don't get the value of our currency up Americans will not own any American companies.

I can't believe that we lost this cash cow to another country. I personally am not a fan of Bud but I am clearly in the minority. Bud has so many loyal American fans who are true Red, White, and Blue. I wonder how they are going to take this news.

The old song "Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet" should have been amended to "Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie, Chevrolet and an Ice Cold Bud!"

If they sell my Sam Adams then it's time to throw in the towel!

BTW, It probably won't be much longer before Chevrolet is no longer an American company either.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:03 AM

655 posts, read 758,820 times
Throw the airlines in there too. Have you seen the price of airlines today? Heck, you can buy Alaska air in full via a hostile takeover for less then half the cash they got in the bank, based on their current stock price.. Buy all the shares, dump the airline and run with their cash!!! You double your money over night.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
Throw the airlines in there too. Have you seen the price of airlines today? Heck, you can buy Alaska air in full via a hostile takeover for less then half the cash they got in the bank, based on their current stock price.. Buy all the shares, dump the airline and run with their cash!!! You double your money over night.
Oh yeah. Lest I forget. Airlines and our auto industry. Eek!

Check out my post on the Big 3 on my blog.

Bob's Blog (http://bob4bristol.blogspot.com/ - broken link)

Old 07-14-2008, 07:31 PM

339 posts, read 1,404,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
This is just the beginning. If we don't get the value of our currency up Americans will not own any American companies.

I can't believe that we lost this cash cow to another country. I personally am not a fan of Bud but I am clearly in the minority. Bud has so many loyal American fans who are true Red, White, and Blue. I wonder how they are going to take this news.

Yeah, saw some news coverage of this earlier with people's comments who were not taking it well. I think the really sad thing is that these same people probably don't understand that this is very likely only the beginning like you said.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 PM

86,068 posts, read 74,813,660 times
There will be very little left of the US that is actually owned by the US when all this is said and done

Old 07-14-2008, 11:37 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,806,903 times
kind of sad really. as a former AB employee it will be sad to see all the crap that comes with a buyout(layoffs, plant closures, etc). bud has a very efficient business model and runs a tight ship, but in this day and age where every quarter needs double digit gains, noone gives a crap about that. our economic system is beyond screwed up from market speculation and it will only drive more companies to buckle to overseas pressure with our money devalued as it is

Old 07-15-2008, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
kind of sad really. as a former AB employee it will be sad to see all the crap that comes with a buyout(layoffs, plant closures, etc). bud has a very efficient business model and runs a tight ship, but in this day and age where every quarter needs double digit gains, noone gives a crap about that. our economic system is beyond screwed up from market speculation and it will only drive more companies to buckle to overseas pressure with our money devalued as it is
The ironic thing is that the very unions that are demonized here would never let that happen over in Europe.

Other countries are very much aware of the importance of keeping labor in their business models. Whether it be Europe, Asia, or South America any business decisions will likely look carefully at minimizing labor loses in the home country while sacrificing the labor at their newly acquired US assets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or