U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:59 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,807,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
The only thing that made the United States a threat IS globalization. Hence the wars. They're one in the same. The United States would have been so much better off if we would have just minded our business like most of our people always wanted. If globalization was such a good idea, it wouldn't need proof. World charity would have answered the call. In reality, anyone that is smarter than a monkey knows that isn't the way the world works.

So i'll ask you and all of the other idealists out there concerning globalization what exactly do you hope to achieve, and how long do you think it will be before all of your works were for nothing? Humans are a different breed, you do not tear down all the walls of the world that were put in place on a notion of trust and Utopia. Its reckless and irresponsible of anyone to assume globalization is an answer. If history tells anyone anything, it is that people put up walls for many different reasons, not all of those reasons were bad. Do you think man is more intelligent than past civilizations? Nothing has changed except for mans ability to destroy more ideals, people, and be more oppressive than ever before because of collective technology. Unless you can isolate a gene which proves to be the illness of all men, and the promoter of all unsound reason, then globalization, and Utopia are both the same fleeting fantasies of mad men.
Look Globalization on a economic level is going to happen no matter what. The huge Multicorps are going to go where expenses are cheaper to make products. Money is the only ideal involved here. Lou Dobbsians that want to see the U.S. economy be isolated are going to be on the losing end of things. But I wouldn't worry to much though. Commodities like oil are getting so expensive that it will behoove some Multicorps to make there products closer to home. This may bring back some manufacturing to the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:04 PM

31,722 posts, read 49,214,824 times
to the original poster--and I am quoting the wonderful Fred Gwynne in his last role as Judge Chamberlaine Haller in My Cousin Vinny--
Are you on drugs. boy?

the day that I believe that ANY of Bush's cabinet have any genius or a moral compass is the day they testify truthfully before Congress and volunteer testimony regarding his illicit persuit of war in Iraq...
Paul O'Neill was a decent guy Bernanke is not the man to tell Bush no...how can he be the right man for the job...

Old 07-15-2008, 01:13 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,112,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Look Globalization on a economic level is going to happen no matter what. The huge Multicorps are going to go where expenses are cheaper to make products. Money is the only ideal involved here. Lou Dobbsians that want to see the U.S. economy be isolated are going to be on the losing end of things. But I wouldn't worry to much though. Commodities like oil are getting so expensive that it will behoove some Multicorps to make there products closer to home. This may bring back some manufacturing to the U.S.
I agree its going to happen no matter what. That doesn't make me pro globalization. There are many viable alternatives. The Lou Dobbs thing was a sad attempt at making a point, and was more of an isolationist tactic. Lou Dobbs does not have a patent on his standpoint. He wasn't the first to think the way he does, or the last. If you want to make labels for everything, get a job at a canning factory. I don't consider globalization a superior view or ideal. I consider it a nice way of saying you've all just been taken to the cleaners. Hefty portions of media conditioning and propaganda don't make it anymore appealing either. It may be inevitable, that does not mean it isn't riddled with flaws. I don't embrace its ideas, wether it is eminent or not is irrelevant.

Last edited by the_pines; 07-15-2008 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I agree its going to happen no matter what. That doesn't make me pro globalization. There are many viable alternatives. The Lou Dobbs thing was a sad attempt at making a point. I don't consider globalization a superior view or ideal. I consider it a nice way of saying you've all just been taken to the cleaners.
The Lou dobbs thing is about fighting a battle that can't be won. He at this point is just giving lip service.
Look all through the history of economics....heck....history of man there has been a circle "cyclical shifts". Of where wealth goes. Right now we are being pushed to the further end of the circle away from the wealth. It happens from time to time. But the good thing is that we are in a circle and after some time we will be head back toward the wealth end of the circle. Exactly when this happens is anybodys guess, but, eventually it will happen. Economic globalization will be beneficial for America sooner or later. One must just be patient.

BTW. It's not that I think it a superior idea. I just know that fighting it is useless at this point. So why don't we individually try to figure out what we can to to make it profitable for us.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:44 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,112,161 times
Quote:
The Lou dobbs thing is about fighting a battle that can't be won. He at this point is just giving lip service.
Look all through the history of economics....heck....history of man there has been a circle "cyclical shifts". Of where wealth goes. Right now we are being pushed to the further end of the circle away from the wealth. It happens from time to time. But the good thing is that we are in a circle and after some time we will be head back toward the wealth end of the circle. Exactly when this happens is anybodys guess, but, eventually it will happen. Economic globalization will be beneficial for America sooner or later. One must just be patient.

BTW. It's not that I think it a superior idea. I just know that fighting it is useless at this point. So why don't we individually try to figure out what we can to to make it profitable for us.
Go right ahead. As for me, i'll continue on a different path of thinking. If I were only concerned with making profits, I might agree to accept it. But it doesn't offer me anything that I want. Hard work and giving are profitable. Superfluous ideas are not profitable very long.

Last edited by the_pines; 07-15-2008 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 02:25 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,756,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I think you're giving way to much credit for long range thinking and foresight than any current American leader, be they elected or otherwise, deserves.

i think you might be right!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:45 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,483,839 times
Every action has an equal and oposite re-action. But if you think the govenment is doing anything to help the citizens, you are wishful thinking.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:01 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,816,452 times
All roads lead to higher taxes. The endgame will be having the taxpayer share the burden. Paulson has already let that cat out of the bag.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
All roads lead to higher taxes. The endgame will be having the taxpayer share the burden. Paulson has already let that cat out of the bag.
Yep.

BTW did anybody find that Paulson's water gun in pocket VS a bazooka in the pocket comment during his testimony today, to be completely idiotic.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:15 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,756,899 times
Quote:
Yep.

BTW did anybody find that Paulson's water gun in pocket VS a bazooka in the pocket comment during his testimony today, to be completely idiotic.

someone on another thread asked me why i call him hank the tank! fitting wouldn't you say?

the real reason is because he reminds me of ferrell in old school. i don't know about you, but to me, when he testifies to congress/senate, he always seems as though he's been caught by the mrs doing something he shouldn't be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics